MAJOR CHANGES TO FLIGHTS BY CELEBRITY?

Spif Barwunkel

For a booked cruise departing from Rome in May 2023, I called Flights By Celebrity today to make reservations for round-trip, Melbourne FL to Rome with one stop in Atlanta each way. These are the exact arrangements that were made for a trip this past May for a cruise originating in Rome. As I have done on several occasions, I chose the pay later option. I was informed by the X rep that that option is no longer available on many flight reservations made through FBC. It is required that you make full payment at time of booking and the cost is non-refundable. Also, the FBC fare was no less expensive than booking directly with the airline.

I held off on those flight reservations and I will look into this a bit more. Again, these are the exact same Delta flights and flight times that were previously booked. I am curious to know if anyone else has had the same experience.  For me, it was a complete surprise. I might start booking directly with the airline since they do offer a refundable option, for a few hundred dollars more.  

There are no major changes. I wouldn't trust most of what any of their reps say. They have always offered both refundable and non-refundable fares. Non-refundable fares have to be paid at the time of booking. On the FBC website you want to look for fare with the *risk free note to get a refundable fare. You may see an economy ticket that is refundable but a premium economy ticket that is non-refundable on the same flight. 

• Like 1

Interesting…

I just looked at flights from Melbourne to Rome for the Edge 6/17/23 sailing, one stop in ATL.

The Delta flights were refundable-pay later. the codeshare KLM flights, which is on the exact same Delta-operated plane, was non-refundable-pay now. 

There was a mix of pay later and pay now flights.

mac_tlc

My TA mentioned to me today that she recommends making flight arrangements directly rather than through the cruise line.  Previously, there were a number of times she advocated to book through the cruise line.  

I have a cruise through Princess through the canal booked in December.  My flights on AA have been booked for months, and have changed a number of times…. And I’ve not been getting updates to those changes.  Today, I finally cancelled the flights through Princess (final payment is due in 3 weeks, so I hadn’t paid for them yet) as I booked directly through Southwest (on points, so free).  I had been carry  dual reservations for the last couple of months, to make sure all looked OK, figuring I’d decide at final payment.  

Considering how much hassle I had booking flights through Celebrity for my Alaska cruise a few months back, I’m in no hurry to repeat it.  Better to handle the reservation directly at this point. 

Went through this decision making back in June for our flight to Rome next May.  Had it booked through FBC but after reading some of the reviews didn't feel comfortable keeping it with them.  Also, while booked on AA through FBC it was through BA which meant seat selection wasn't guaranteed.  Ended up booking a flexible fully refundable fare directly with AA and got it cheaper than FBC.  Then a month later ended up changing my departure city b/c the rate was over $1,000 cheaper.  Had no problem cancelling the original and re-booking and received credit on my card 7 days later.   I'll also add that while speaking with the AA rep I asked her some of the cons booking through a cruise line or other website.  She said the biggest reason is if we were to make any changes last minute or issuess arrived, AA might not be as quick to help and could possibly charge a fee to make the changes.

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Went through this decision making back in June for our flight to Rome next May.  Had it booked through FBC but after reading some of the reviews didn't feel comfortable keeping it with them.  Also, while booked on AA through FBC it was through BA which meant seat selection wasn't guaranteed.  Ended up booking a flexible fully refundable fare directly with AA and got it cheaper than FBC.  Then a month later ended up changing my departure city b/c the rate was over $1,000 cheaper.  Had no problem cancelling the original and re-booking and received credit on my card 7 days later.   I'll also add that while speaking with the AA rep I asked her some of the cons booking through a cruise line or other website.  She said the biggest reason is if we were to make any changes last minute or issuess arrived, AA might not be as quick to help and could possibly charge a fee to make the changes.

Did AA charge extra for a refundable fare? Also, could you briefly state what particular reasons, other than seat selection, caused you to cancel your booking through FBC? 

On 9/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Did AA charge extra for a refundable fare? Also, could you briefly state what particular reasons, other than seat selection, caused you to cancel your booking through FBC? 

It was 200 extra pp for the refundable fare.  During the time I was booking tickets I saw on CC several people were having delay issues getting ticketed after they made final payment.  Others were finding out their flights had been changed but only after checking on their ticket (not being notified by FBC that flight schedule had changed).  I will also add that I check regularly flight cost on AA and also Celebrity.  Today, the same exact flight I booked in June is still the same price on AA.  However, that flight is double through FBC (and nonrefundable)!  These are premium economy seats.  For the price FBC is showing today for premium economy seats I could book business flexible on AA.  

• Thanks 1

FBC is nothing like they were; unfortunately, the negotiated rules have changed due to the airlines.  Also, lots of new employees who do not know their world geography!  I will not go into details, but I had to LOL with the information I was given by one person.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Only book through FBC when they offer a credit such as the recent $500 off. Otherwise book direct.

Yes, I think this is the way to go. We are going to the Galapagos next June and got a $750 pp air credit thru FBC. I booked our flights (on Delta) and got the air for a lot less than Delta was charging. Flights are paid for and non-refundable. Our flights were made a little more expensive anyway because we fly into Quito and out of  Lima. I'm hoping it all goes Ok, but it's a year away and I'll worry about it when it gets closer 😄

7 minutes ago, mnocket said:

It used to be that Business Class fares were often significantly cheaper than booking direct with the airlines.  Is this no longer the case?

Yes same as Economy Fares. The reason for this is that cruise lines can book BULK fares and have other conditions such as large discounts.

On 9/3/2022 at 12:25 PM, Fly and Sail said:

Only book through FBC when they offer a credit such as the recent $500 off. Otherwise book direct.

On our recent cruise from Iceland, we met a couple at breakfast one day who had just boarded, two days into the cruise. They had booked through FBC and missed their connecting flight in Copenhagen and thus missed the ship (they booked a cheaper flight instead of just flying non-stop to Iceland from the US). Celebrity got them a hotel room at the airport in Iceland once they arrived, then booked them on a flight to the next port they could board at and got them a hotel room there. They had to pay taxis out of their own pocket, but were expecting to be reimbursed by Celebrity.

I had generally not booked through FBC, but it was good to hear that they actually do take care of getting you to the ship if you arrive late. I could have used them when Covid was blowing up in early 2020 as when my cruise out of Singapore was cancelled, and I had a heck of a time getting a refund from Singapore Air for a flight I had booked on my own through Chase Travel (ended up having to get the US DOT involved to get my refund). In that roll call thread, some wisea** kept saying "well, everyone knows you should book your air through the cruise line in case the cruise is cancelled", as if that had ever been a major concern. So now I am more open to booking through them instead of on my own.

Edited by MisterBill99