A new lounge for NCL Crew

BermudaBound2014

This doesn't seem to be a terribly costly thing to do.  A few repurposed shipping containers, some modest furnishings, maybe free wifi, snacks, etc.  The only issue might be setting aside some land for the purpose.  One wonders why it hasn't been done before.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

This doesn't seem to be a terribly costly thing to do.  A few repurposed shipping containers, some modest furnishings, maybe free wifi, snacks, etc.  The only issue might be setting aside some land for the purpose.  One wonders why it hasn't been done before.

That's why I asked if anyone knows of this service in other ports. Also seems there could be something even a bit nicer than the containers, but I don't want to seem greedy. I suspect there is a market here for someone to make a little profit and the crew to have a nice place to relax while in port. So often I see them huddled around standing outside in the elements near wifi talking to (presumably) loved ones back home. 

PS: The sign definitely says free wifi. 🙂

I have seen Internet cafes with signage that they are for crew and staff of cruise ships, but I do not think it’s exclusive.  I’ve used the one inCozumel when I needed spend some extended time on the internet back in my working years.  These are private enterprises and were pay as you go cafes but we’re much better than the ship rates.   I think this is a wonderful idea.  Touché to St John!

• Like 1

When we were in a port in Norway in July they put on a private BBQ with beers for the Crew, they were having a great time. Apparently they do this every time they visit Flam port.

Edit: sorry that was MSC not NCL, mixing up my trips 🤪.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

There is a Seaman's Church Institute center in many ports, and they provide lounges and shuttles.  There are other non-profit organizations, that provide centers for seafarers around the world.  Seaman's Church provides shuttles not only to the centers, but to shopping as requested.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That's why I asked if anyone knows of this service in other ports. Also seems there could be something even a bit nicer than the containers, but I don't want to seem greedy. I suspect there is a market here for someone to make a little profit and the crew to have a nice place to relax while in port. So often I see them huddled around standing outside in the elements near wifi talking to (presumably) loved ones back home. 

PS: The sign definitely says free wifi. 🙂

The containers are a part of entire "village" made up of repurposed shipping containers:  "In June 2022, we opened the full waterfront experience with a diverse collection of retail shops, a performance space, a waterfront Container Lounge, food trucks, public art and pop-up activities. All wrapped up in more than 60 shipping containers, celebrating everything that’s cool about our identity as a Port City."  (Copied from the container village's website)

https://area506.ca/container-village/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There is a Seaman's Church Institute center in many ports, and they provide lounges and shuttles.  There are other non-profit organizations, that provide centers for seafarers around the world.  Seaman's Church provides shuttles not only to the centers, but to shopping as requested.

As always, interesting.  I've seen SCI in Philadelphia but figured it was more about church than anything else (whatever would give me that idea?)  It used to be in the downtown area; the building was subsequently used when MTV's "Real World" was taped in Philly.  Hadn't seen it around lately but see it's now down in the Navy Yard complex.

Just checked the website and realized what a great mission it is!  I might need to check into supporting this...

19 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This looks like a nice thing.  That said, the ships have something like 1500 - 2000 crew members and that place looks like it could accommodate about 15 - 20 people.  Do only the "lucky one percent" get to enjoy it?

Quite a few crew don't get time off in port.  Deck and Engine departments are all watchstanders or day workers who don't have a time off in the middle of the day.  Also, the fire teams are restricted to ship about every 3rd day.