Self Home Testing

bjlaac

Now that we are approaching the September 5th testing protocols I've not seen any info on specifically what RCCL wants as proof of self tests.  For the tests I have at home there's no web site for results, no printouts and no apps for results as specified for proof of the self administered test.  The only remaining option is a photo of the test results...but a photo of what exactly?  The lines on the test, a photo of me holding the lines showing the test result, a serial number of the test, etc. or any combination?

I realize this is going to generate lots of "this is the reason its a stupid policy" comments but before we go there, this is a serious question especially anyone saling on a 10 day cruise in the next few days.

Anyone have insight or already asked RCCL for what they want?

Edited by bjlaac
  • Like 1

from the RCCL website

Frequently Asked Topics Overview | Royal Caribbean

Accepted Tests for U.S. Cruises Departing on or After September 5, 2022; with No Stops in Canada or Bermuda

The test you take can be professionally administered by a health professional, such as a doctor or pharmacist, or you can use a home test kit. Home test kits for these sailings are not required to be administered under live video supervision.

You will present the negative test result at the time of boarding. You can show it in the form of a printout, an email, or an app screen from the test provider. Or you can show a picture of your negative home test on your phone, or present the actual negative test itself.

So, yes - a simple photo of your ( Or I guess anyone's ) negative test.  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

They might as well just eliminate that and ask the question at check in:

“Have you taken a Covid test within 3 days of sailing and it showed a negative result?”

You could just answer “yes” and continue on.
Anyone who wants to cheat will have no problem either way. 

• Like 1

To clarify, the self test isn't required if vax'd and cruise is less than 10 days, correct?

So if vax'd and on a 1 week Caribbean cruise (no Bermuda/Canada), there are NO testing requirements...no self, nothing needed to be shown, etc.

Is this correct?

46 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

To clarify, the self test isn't required if vax'd and cruise is less than 10 days, correct?

So if vax'd and on a 1 week Caribbean cruise (no Bermuda/Canada), there are NO testing requirements...no self, nothing needed to be shown, etc.

Is this correct?

If embarking after Sept 5, correct

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If embarking after Sept 5, correct

LOL, that is what I thought, but there are SO many conditions...when sailing, vax'd, ports, etc., I wanted to double check.

I did see that on RCCL's site, but am kind of OCD and like to hear it multiple times 🙂

• Like 2

Yes, many conditions, but IF you need to produce a test, here's what you do -- not the only thing you can do, but, in my mind, the easiest choice: 

- Log onto www.onpoint-testing.com 

- Choose the $18.99 option for a supervised home test 

- Choose a date /time 3 days ahead of your cruise 

- On Point will send you an email with a Zoom link 

- When your appointment arrives, log onto your computer -- have your ID and an at-home Covid test ready 

- A person will "meet you" online and will "walk you through" the testing process 

- Within minutes you'll have an email with your results -- it'd be smart to save the email AND print out your negative status 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, many conditions, but IF you need to produce a test, here's what you do -- not the only thing you can do, but, in my mind, the easiest choice: 

- Log onto www.onpoint-testing.com 

- Choose the $18.99 option for a supervised home test 

- Choose a date /time 3 days ahead of your cruise 

- On Point will send you an email with a Zoom link 

- When your appointment arrives, log onto your computer -- have your ID and an at-home Covid test ready 

- A person will "meet you" online and will "walk you through" the testing process 

- Within minutes you'll have an email with your results -- it'd be smart to save the email AND print out your negative status 

I've been using old BinaxNow tests...I'm taking a Carnival cruise Sat so just missed the deadline. I have 2 left which, unless Bermuda changes by end of Oct, I'll use for that.

10 hours ago, bjlaac said:

Now that we are approaching the September 5th testing protocols I've not seen any info on specifically what RCCL wants as proof of self tests.  For the tests I have at home there's no web site for results, no printouts and no apps for results as specified for proof of the self administered test.  The only remaining option is a photo of the test results...but a photo of what exactly?  The lines on the test, a photo of me holding the lines showing the test result, a serial number of the test, etc. or any combination?

I realize this is going to generate lots of "this is the reason its a stupid policy" comments but before we go there, this is a serious question especially anyone saling on a 10 day cruise in the next few days.

Anyone have insight or already asked RCCL for what they want?

This is absolutely ludicrous. Anyone who does test positive can get someone they know (who tests negative) to do the test and present THAT test as their test. Someone at Royal does not have their thinking cap on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

This is absolutely ludicrous. Anyone who does test positive can get someone they know (who tests negative) to do the test and present THAT test as their test. Someone at Royal does not have their thinking cap on.

Obviously faking a COVID test would constitute fraud, but I think the real issue is that RCCL realizes it's just as easy to fake a vaccination card or a proctored test result, so it really doesn't matter.  By telling the passengers they have to take a test and show some results on their own, they are transferring liability from them to the passengers.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Obviously faking a COVID test would constitute fraud, but I think the real issue is that RCCL realizes it's just as easy to fake a vaccination card or a proctored test result, so it really doesn't matter.  By telling the passengers they have to take a test and show some results on their own, they are transferring liability from them to the passengers.  

How can you fake a proctored test? The proctor watches you continuously as you perform the test and get the result.

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

How can you fake a proctored test? The proctor watches you continuously as you perform the test and get the result.

After Sept, 5th the test no longer have to be proctored unless you are sailing from a US port and visiting Bermuda or Canada

47 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

It's not about what the proctor see, but the paper/screenshot shown to the terminal representative.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, davekathy said:

Stop the ridiculous pre cruise covid testing. No matter the itinerary. 

I'd love to see this happen, but depending on the itinerary, the country being stopped at may require the testing, and RC has no control over their government requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janet524 said:

I'd love to see this happen, but depending on the itinerary, the country being stopped at may require the testing, and RC has no control over their government requirements.

I agree. No matter who or the itinerary, the covid testing requirement needs to end.