Travel Agents

emd138

Thank you so much to those on here that always recommend using a travel agent!  Mine was on vacation last week, so I booked directly with Oceania to use the upgrade sale, and just transferred it over to my TA.  The price went down over $1600 with all of the promotions applied!  It was a short 7 day Alaska cruise, so that was a huge percentage.  It hasn't always been this much of a benefit since I have started using one, but just FYI to those that don't, there are some significant potential savings.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, emd138 said:

... so I booked directly with Oceania to use the upgrade sale, and just transferred it over to my TA.  The price went down over $1600 with all of the promotions applied! ... but just FYI to those that don't, there are some significant potential savings.  

Though the lack of specificity makes this impossible to dissect. IF you got the "Labor Day sale" price, then what "price" went down "$1600"? What specific "promotions" were applied? To what exactly?

I've booked sales prices in 2021 and 2022 directly with O (an A4 Concierge Veranda on one, $2099) and a B4 Veranda on another, $2249, both 10-day cruises on Riviera) and when I contacted a TA (one that does heavy O business) they weren't able to "lower" that specific sale price. We book our own airfare and our own excursions. And we're not wanting expensive penthouses or suites.

Just wish people who post these would give the SPECIFIC DETAILS, not vague generalities. 

• Like 2

I had booked an A-3 for the 1/31/23 Riviera Caribbean cruise.  When the sale was announced, my TA dropped the price by $600 for the cabin.  Both initially and after the sale he included trip insurance which for us “old folks” is quite expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VAWCB said:

I had booked an A-3 for the 1/31/23 Riviera Caribbean cruise.  When the sale was announced, my TA dropped the price by $600 for the cabin. ...

So is the price you paid for your A3 $600 UNDER the sale price? The Labor Day sale price for that specific cruise at the A3 is $3649. Did you pay $3049?

Oceania Cruises 10-days from Miami, Florida, United States to Miami, Florida, United States

10 minutes ago, VAWCB said:

... Both initially and after the sale he included trip insurance...

Which specific insurance carrier and policy details? How can one assess if this "trip insurance" is actually of much value from a reputable trip insurance provider with "good" coverages?

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

So is the price you paid for your A3 $600 UNDER the sale price? The Labor Day sale price for that specific cruise at the A3 is $3649. Did you pay $3049?

Oceania Cruises 10-days from Miami, Florida, United States to Miami, Florida, United States

You seem to be convinced that you can do as well booking directly with Oceania as those that use Travel Agents. I certainly wouldn't want to waste too many keystrokes trying to convince you otherwise. Any discounts, PPG or OBC aside, it about more than the savings. Do what works for you though. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

You seem to be convinced that you can do as well booking directly with Oceania as those that use Travel Agents. ... Any discounts, PPG or OBC aside, it about more than the savings. ...

Merely trying to get details, specifics, when all we get are generalized claims, that seem to imply savings over and above the sales price but don't really specify it:

"Mine was on vacation last week, so I booked directly with Oceania to use the upgrade sale, and just transferred it over to my TA.  The price went down over $1600 with all of the promotions applied!"

SO, did he save this $1600 over and above the sales price? I don't know.

"I had booked an A-3 for the 1/31/23 Riviera Caribbean cruise.  When the sale was announced, my TA dropped the price by $600 for the cabin."

SO, did he save $600 over and above the sales price? I don't know.

Going by what I found regarding contacting a TA that seemed to know their way around O AFTER a sale had been announced, they weren't discounting the price below the sales price. The sale reduced the price, not the TA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Merely trying to get details, specifics, when all we get are generalized claims, that seem to imply savings over and above the sales price but don't really specify it:

"Mine was on vacation last week, so I booked directly with Oceania to use the upgrade sale, and just transferred it over to my TA.  The price went down over $1600 with all of the promotions applied!"

SO, did he save this $1600 over and above the sales price? I don't know.

"I had booked an A-3 for the 1/31/23 Riviera Caribbean cruise.  When the sale was announced, my TA dropped the price by $600 for the cabin."

SO, did he save $600 over and above the sales price? I don't know.

Going by what I found regarding contacting a TA that seemed to know their way around O AFTER a sale had been announced, they weren't discounting the price below the sales price. The sale reduced the price, not the TA.

I think you might be missing where the advantage of using a TA comes in. 

• Like 1

Specific details of my current cruise booking.

Category F 19 night cruise.  Total cruise cost $8,398

Cruise agency rebate check - not OBC. $740.22 or 8.8%.

And excellent very responsive service.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

Just pulled up details from my previous Oceania cruise in 2017.

Total cost category F on a 20 night cruise $6580

Agent provided prepaid gratuities ($640) plus $800 OBC for a total benefit of $1440 or 21.9%.

This is the best I have ever done with an agent.   Over the past 20 years I would estimate average is around 10%.   Thousands of dollars over the years….

Joe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Though the lack of specificity makes this impossible to dissect. IF you got the "Labor Day sale" price, then what "price" went down "$1600"? What specific "promotions" were applied? To what exactly?

I've booked sales prices in 2021 and 2022 directly with O (an A4 Concierge Veranda on one, $2099) and a B4 Veranda on another, $2249, both 10-day cruises on Riviera) and when I contacted a TA (one that does heavy O business) they weren't able to "lower" that specific sale price. We book our own airfare and our own excursions. And we're not wanting expensive penthouses or suites.

Just wish people who post these would give the SPECIFIC DETAILS, not vague generalities. 

I am happy to give SPECIFIC DETAILS, sorry!  It was a 7 day June 16 day Alaskan cruise.  Prices went from $4500 to $2900.  B2 with the Labor Day sale.

13 hours ago, emd138 said:

I am happy to give SPECIFIC DETAILS, sorry!  It was a 7 day June 16 day Alaskan cruise.  Prices went from $4500 to $2900.  B2 with the Labor Day sale.

I think you're missing my point. The SALE is outstanding. The issue is whether your TA is getting you some price below that or merely just booking or reducing your previous booking to the new sale price.

("Mine was on vacation last week, so I booked directly with Oceania to use the upgrade sale, and just transferred it over to my TA.  The price went down over $1600 with all of the promotions applied!")

And DETAILS include things like is the $ quoted with airfare, for example, or Cruise Only.

Pulled out my 2023 Collection of Voyages book(!) which I received on 2/22/22. That 7 day "Stunning Scenery" Seattle to Seattle (Jun 16, 2023) had a B2 CRUISE ONLY fare then of $3099. The OLife Choice Fare then was $3899. The Labor Day 2022 SALE reduced those prices to $2,099 and $2,899, respectively. So, I'm not sure where the $4500 or $1600 is coming from. There was one price increase around 1/1/22 and I believe another around 4/1/22. I saw the published price for our already booked Cruise Only for Sirena (B2, 11/22) go up $100 each time.

Oceania Cruises 7-days from Seattle, Washington, United States to Seattle, Washington, United States

20 hours ago, ORV said:

I think you might be missing where the advantage of using a TA comes in. 

And that's what I'm getting at. The detailed specifics. I have NO doubt but that if you spend a fortune annually you'll get something. But I'm not that type of annual spender.

So (1) my wife and I mainly do one O cruise a year. We're (2) only interested in A4-G, nothing higher. We (3) look for the periodic O sales to see if a cruise we want qualifies. If it does, we upgrade the already booked cruise to the new cabin. And we (4) book our own airfare. Plus, we (5) book our own excursions. Then we (6) are NOT interested in any drinks package.

Given (1)-(6), what will a TA do for us, even the very "best" O TA?

5 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I

Pulled out my 2023 Collection of Voyages book(!) which I received on 2/22/22. That 7 day "Stunning Scenery" Seattle to Seattle (Jun 16, 2023) had a B2 CRUISE ONLY fare then of $3099. The OLife Choice Fare then was $3899. The Labor Day 2022 SALE reduced those prices to $2,099 and $2,899, respectively. So, I'm not sure where the $4500 or $1600 is coming from.

Maybe they were paying a SS

If it is not your $$    so what

JMO

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they were paying a SS....

And what is an "SS"?

Merely trying to make sense of what he wrote, "The price went down over $1600 with all of the promotions applied!" The devil is always in the specific details.

our agent gave us a good deal initially....we booked a B3 for jan 4... 750 off 6000....plus the consortium had prep gratuities...but .when the labour day sale came, he was not willing to do anything more....so you are fortunate that you have an agent that was willing to reprice your existing reservation...

we are on a cruise this november...I will be talking to others and gathering their recommendations of agents they recommend......

16 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And that's what I'm getting at. The detailed specifics. I have NO doubt but that if you spend a fortune annually you'll get something. But I'm not that type of annual spender.

So (1) my wife and I mainly do one O cruise a year. We're (2) only interested in A4-G, nothing higher. We (3) look for the periodic O sales to see if a cruise we want qualifies. If it does, we upgrade the already booked cruise to the new cabin. And we (4) book our own airfare. Plus, we (5) book our own excursions. Then we (6) are NOT interested in any drinks package.

You seem to have it all figured out, go with what works for you, as I said I'm not wasting a lot of keystrokes trying to help someone whose mind is already made up. But having your gratuities paid for is a pretty good start. 

11 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I've done it both ways.  I've booked directly with O and I've booked through a TA. We didn't get a lower price with the TA but we did get an OBC that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  The TA also did a great job of monitoring a cruise that we were waitlisted on and let us know as soon as it opened up for a confirmed booking. 

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

... But having your gratuities paid for is a pretty good start. 

So, every TA covers O's "gratuities"? Whether in US, UK, etc.? No matter what cruise, cabin, etc.?

Why is it so painful for people making claims about the inherent value of TAs to SPECIFY the details? What all they're paying for, when, how, etc. I have NO doubt but that people who spend thousands annually and tens of thousands over time with a specific TA will get some "benefit". But they paid for it over time. TANSTAAFL.

• Haha 1

no not every TA...and it is sporadic...some bookings the prep grat was available and some not...

some agents have given us a 5% rebate and some more...

some are quick to respond and some dont respond at all.....

it varies...I have not yet found one that gives max rebates and is really responsive...maybe you cant have it both ways...if they trim their earnings to a minimum then they have no time to be responsive...so you pick and chose what is most important to you....

I almost take it for granted, that if an agent gives me a large rebate...anything 8 % off or more, they really wont have time to do anything else for me...like when a sale comes up and some of you got your agent to reduce the price of your existing booking....ours would do nothing more for us...

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, MEFIowa said:

Which specific insurance carrier and policy details? How can one assess if this "trip insurance" is actually of much value from a reputable trip insurance provider with "good" coverages?

I can tell you that my travel agent frequently offers the option of insurance or OBC for Oceania cruises. Before making my decision on which to choose I ask for the details...the company and the actual policy documents. We chose the insurance for the 2024 ATW because it saved us thousands of dollars versus the cost of a comparable policy purchased on  the open market, due to the high cruise fare and our ages. The amount of savings versus the amount of OBC was stunning. 

The company underwriting the policy is highly rated and one that I have frequently used in the past.  The policy coverages met our needs.

Edited by njhorseman

54 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

So, every TA covers O's "gratuities"? Whether in US, UK, etc.? No matter what cruise, cabin, etc.?

NO   not every TA

Some will give you PPG  via their incentive they get from the cruise line

Shop around

As you know  we are not allowed to name TA's here

We dont need insurance...have our own...

as for gratuities, hoping to accumulate loyalty with O and then will not need that either....hope that if an agent gives it because it is available through their consortium, O will give us something else, like extra  Obcs instead.....