Coral Princess Specialty Dining Costs please

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

In comparison, that is pretty good compared to Chops - that is if it still includes a cocktail to start and paired wines with each dish.

Not 100% but I’m sure when I was looking through all the dining stuff, the "accompanying" wine package for the Chefs table was a separate charge? Think its about US$20, no doubt plus 18%....

So would take the cost in A$ to about $180 if you include the gratuity on the drinks addition 😮

3 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Not 100% but I’m sure when I was looking through all the dining stuff, the "accompanying" wine package for the Chefs table was a separate charge? Think its about US$20, no doubt plus 18%....

So would take the cost in A$ to about $180 if you include the gratuity on the drinks addition 😮

OK, awesome. We have done a couple, but this gets a yeah-nah from me. I can see why they do it now though. If you have a drinks package already, it would feel like you are paying for drinks again if they are included as part of Chef's Table, and others that would rather drink beer or cocktails or not drink at all.

We did Chef's table one time, some years ago, think it was on Golden Princess around South America, in 2014, Buenos Aires to LA. I am sure the vino was included in the Chef Table price? I may be wrong.

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We did Chef's table one time, some years ago, think it was on Golden Princess around South America, in 2014, Buenos Aires to LA. I am sure the vino was included in the Chef Table price? I may be wrong.

They all used to, but some cruise lines are starting to split it up. On Princess, wine pairings are still included. The above chatter is just in comparing Princess with other ships.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, arxcards said:

Thanks. I knew it wasn't a given, but from a suite the nights we dined there were rather quiet. I wasn't aware that diamond plus points came into it, and it was only Pinnacle that had an entitlement to dine there based on C&A status.

It is a major plus to their suites, as the food is at least as good as the specialty restaurants, and is nice & relaxed.

Food is exceptional in Coastal Kitchen, plus a spectacular view. What I meant with points was we have friends who are almost Pinnacle and couldn’t get into CK on their cruise, Concierge couldn’t help either,  whilst on ours we had no problems with bookings every night via the Concierge, but we did go early.! 

• Like 1

We think the best value in  specialty dining is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess. Food is superb plus service great. Noticed just now it is A$120 on Majestic Princess for our October cruise, which is a great price. Only problem is there is way too much food!🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, resordanis said:

We think the best value in  specialty dining is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess. Food is superb plus service great. Noticed just now it is A$120 on Majestic Princess for our October cruise, which is a great price. Only problem is there is way too much food!🤣

Yes, UBD is awesome. We realised we haven't done one in over 10 years, so are planning to do this on Majestic in October. We are on the same cruise, but it shows as $135 for us. Even then, a 4 course meal and cocktail personally served on your balcony, and that price is for 2 people. 

The deluxe balcony breakfast is also way too much food, but I am getting one for a special anniversary breakfast on Coral next month to surprise my better half. $60.75, and comes with 1/2 bottle of bubbly to get the day started. A bit over the top, but will offer a great excuse to laze around the cabin that morning.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

We have done a couple, but this gets a yeah-nah from me

Agree, happy to pay a cover charge and in the case of Chefs table quite bit more than the speciality restaurants but their comes a point when you just can’t justify it!

Even booking Wonderland on the Ovation of the Seas had me doing so through clenched teeth, its only as my wife wants it for her birthday night and has seen some YouTube videos! For me it was a no based on what I regard as an obscene cover charge of $88 each (about double what I think its worth), just can’t see how its justified and thats with the so called 15% pre cruise discount!!!! But the more people who just pay only makes RCI think it’s all ok to price gauge the passenger.........at Least Princess, HAL etc are very reasonable in comparison and have no qualms booking stuff when on board those ships.

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Yes, UBD is awesome. We realised we haven't done one in over 10 years, so are planning to do this on Majestic in October. We are on the same cruise, but it shows as $135 for us. Even then, a 4 course meal and cocktail personally served on your balcony, and that price is for 2 people. 

The deluxe balcony breakfast is also way too much food, but I am getting one for a special anniversary breakfast on Coral next month to surprise my better half. $60.75, and comes with 1/2 bottle of bubbly to get the day started. A bit over the top, but will offer a great excuse to laze around the cabin that morning.

I thought it said $120 but perhaps you are right. I will look again. Agree, either way good value, but get it early in the cruise as your wife will have the flowers for the whole cruise!

We are considering, but as we have (as just about everyone) free specialty dining, we might just do that this cruise!

Agree, the breakfast is great, and perfect for a special occasion, but once again way too much food for us now to start the day!

It long now for Majestic!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Agree, happy to pay a cover charge and in the case of Chefs table quite bit more than the speciality restaurants but their comes a point when you just can’t justify it!

Even booking Wonderland on the Ovation of the Seas had me doing so through clenched teeth, its only as my wife wants it for her birthday night and has seen some YouTube videos! For me it was a no based on what I regard as an obscene cover charge of $88 each (about double what I think its worth), just can’t see how its justified and thats with the so called 15% pre cruise discount!!!! But the more people who just pay only makes RCI think it’s all ok to price gauge the passenger.........at Least Princess, HAL etc are very reasonable in comparison and have no qualms booking stuff when on board those ships.

If all of their specialty restaurants are quiet, expect to see some spot deals, although likely targeted to Diamond and above and suites first. As it is, most of the cruise lines have a deal on the first night, as those restaurants are typically quiet. Princess has the complimentary suite dinner on the first night, Carnival had a free bottle of wine, and in the past I have seen 20% off on other ships. 

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

If all of their specialty restaurants are quiet, expect to see some spot deals, although likely targeted to Diamond and above and suites first. As it is, most of the cruise lines have a deal on the first night, as those restaurants are typically quiet. Princess has the complimentary suite dinner on the first night, Carnival had a free bottle of wine, and in the past I have seen 20% off on other ships. 

As Diamond + we get one free the first night, but in saying that (in the past) I have seen many specials for lunch and early dinners if the restaurants are quiet and also 2 or 3 night packages and that is for everyone. If it a longer cruise, restaurants seem to be quieter until the last few days. Things might have changed, but as we are doing B2B2B2B later in the year, I might find out! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I thought it said $120 but perhaps you are right. I will look again. Agree, either way good value, but get it early in the cruise as your wife will have the flowers for the whole cruise!

We are considering, but as we have (as just about everyone) free specialty dining, we might just do that this cruise!

Agree, the breakfast is great, and perfect for a special occasion, but once again way too much food for us now to start the day!

It long now for Majestic!

We have one included specialty restaurant already booked, and 11 nights is long enough to do UBD as well. Good point on the flowers. Do you know if they still send the photographer for an inclusive photo?

We have done plenty of specialty restaurants on ships, mainly for special occasions, but I will not pay an additional price (that is essentially a full priced meal or more on land) on top of what is already included in the MDR is already good quality.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have done plenty of specialty restaurants on ships, mainly for special occasions, but I will not pay an additional price (that is essentially a full priced meal or more on land) on top of what is already included in the MDR is already good quality.

There is no way you'd get a top quality lobster for $40 at most land restauants these days. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We have one included specialty restaurant already booked, and 11 nights is long enough to do UBD as well. Good point on the flowers. Do you know if they still send the photographer for an inclusive photo?

I am not sure re the photo. Ask on the Princess site and someone will definitely know. I do know the flowers were lovely and last a long while, so do early!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is no way you'd get a top quality lobster for $40 at most land restauants these days. 

Perhaps, but is a lobster meal $40 better than any of the great meals in the MDR, which I would value (land price) at close to $40 already, I don't think so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

You are most definitely right $135 for UBD. We are going to do it but will wait till we board as want to use OBC. I understand no photo these days also.No special occasion for us, not like you, just want to celebrate finally cruising again.😁

Edited by resordanis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps, but is a lobster meal $40 better than any of the great meals in the MDR, which I would value (land price) at close to $40 already, I don't think so.

Mmmm, although in general I do love most of the MDR menus, and they are great quality, but sometimes it's nice to have a change especially on longer cruises, B2Bs, or special occasions.

• Like 1

There used to be one MDR menu preCovid that I really didn't like. I can't remember exactly what was on it though but I'd know it if saw it again. But so far the menus have been great. Slightly different to preCovid but there plenty of old favourite dishes appearing. I had some superb lamb cutlets last night, perfectly cooked for my taste ie they were quite rare. Delicious. And they had my favourite brand of mint sauce. 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There used to be one MDR menu preCovid that I really didn't like. I can't remember exactly what was on it though but I'd know it if saw it again. But so far the menus have been great. Slightly different to preCovid but there plenty of old favourite dishes appearing. I had some superb lamb cutlets last night, perfectly cooked for my taste ie they were quite rare. Delicious. And they had my favourite brand of mint sauce. 😁

The rack of lamb was awesome.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Last night it was just cutlets, individually cooked, not as a rack. 

Lubbly Jubbly. BTW Julie, your new Harris Farm at Lane Cove opened today, big crowds according to my son.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Lubbly Jubbly. BTW Julie, your new Harris Farm at Lane Cove opened today, big crowds according to my son.

So I heard. We've been going to the Boronia Park Harris Farm for several years as our hairdresser is there. It's one of the best places in Sydney for cheeses but our local Figtree Greengrocer has better quality fruit and veg most of the time.

• Like 2