Specialty Restaurant Pricing Out Of Control

bigeagle12

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Our son just came back from lunch with his daughter. They ate in the touristy Old Town part of our city. 

Two burgers, one coke, two beers, tip and tax..... $81.55.  Prices are leaving crazy town and heading straight up. 

Lunch today, two cheeseburgers, one french fries (split), two diet cokes, $23.50 including tax and tip. Higher than before but still acceptable.

The price has lost the plot and disconnected from reality. I used to get 5 specialities for 95GBP and now its 105 for 3 and 225 for the UDP which is basically 7. 

The food isnt that good to justify these prices. At 115 GBP for 2 steaks is crazy. I dont think ive paid that in top notch restaurant in london. Especially for some run of the mill fillet steak and mediocre starter and dessert. 

Sadly the only thing that will bring some sanity to RCCL prices is a massive recession and economic downturn to link to reality the value of things. This is the price we are paying now for rampant money printing and stimulus. 

• Like 3

On 9/7/2022 at 7:48 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem with discussing food is food taste is so subjective. For example, I think Johnny Rockets is way better than Guys, Blue Iguana is better than El Loco Fresh, and the pizza at Sorrento’s is slightly better. But my opinion is just that, an opinion. 

thats cause Rockets is an actual chain and Guys is just on ship, but you are correct, i think so as well!

Plus Guys is included, so it makes it taste some better hahaha

On 9/18/2022 at 11:50 AM, rudeney said:

In terms of factoring in the cost of the missed MDR meal, I think the daily allocated cost of included food is about $15pp.  Given that you're probably going to have breakfast or lunch, and may some snacks out of that, you might be "missing" $8 worth of food when choosing a specialty dinner.  Are we really arguing about $8?  🤣

apparently so hahahaha

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

The price has lost the plot and disconnected from reality. I used to get 5 specialities for 95GBP and now its 105 for 3 and 225 for the UDP which is basically 7. 

The food isnt that good to justify these prices. At 115 GBP for 2 steaks is crazy. I dont think ive paid that in top notch restaurant in london. Especially for some run of the mill fillet steak and mediocre starter and dessert. 

Sadly the only thing that will bring some sanity to RCCL prices is a massive recession and economic downturn to link to reality the value of things. This is the price we are paying now for rampant money printing and stimulus. 

Prices are ship, sail date and length dependent.  We are on Quantum 10 night in a few weeks, the UDP is $211.00 pp. 10 dinners and 6 lunches works out to $14.00 per meal.  $28.00 for two steaks at Chop's is a steal. Four free Cucumber Martinis with the vouchers makes it a super steal.

Edited by taglovestocruise

On 9/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, bigeagle12 said:

Do they think they are Ruth’s Chris.  Chops is now $69.60/person ($58.99 plus 18% gratuity).  So not only did they raise the price but also added the gratuity which used to be included. 

We used to enjoy one or two nights of specialty restaurants.  But not at these prices. The food is not that good.  🙄

IMHO all food on a cruise ship should be free .On cruises in the 70’s there was no such thing as specialty restaurants and that did not bother anyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, bigeagle12 said:

I’d rather go on Carnival and have a Guy’s burger .. it’s better .. and it’s free 🙂

Some people don’t believe that going on Carnival is better than going on Royal Caribbean. To each his own,  but we weren’t discussing Guy’s.

19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

IMHO all food on a cruise ship should be free .On cruises in the 70’s there was no such thing as specialty restaurants and that did not bother anyone.

On cruises in the 70s, there was no such thing as the internet to post IMHO statements of no relation to reality today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got off Harmony and used our BOGO.  Jamies was 68.74, food and service was amazing.

150 Central Park was 76.69, service was fine but this was always my favorite speciality restaurant and food has gone down hill.  Portions were extremely tiny.  These prices were for the BOGO.  IMO it was not worth the money.   We did the captains table for 75.00 person in June was way better and included the wine!!

3 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

On cruises in the 70s, there was no such thing as the internet to post IMHO statements of no relation to reality today.

LOL, in the 70s I was a private in the army and couldn't rub two nickels (hope that satisfies the spelling police in here) together let alone afford a cruise.  Not much has changed but I have learned how to live below my means. 🥴

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, ladysail2 said:

I remember when it was free….2003…

Yeah, what I resented -- still resent -- about them starting to charge for Johnny Rockets wasn't the money.  It was the lie that accompanied it:  They claimed they added the upcharge to dissuade teens from hanging out in the restaurant.  Thing is, I'd never seen teens hanging out in that venue -- never.  Such a transparent lie. 

20 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

You need the app.

Yes, fast food is downright cheap if you choose the right items and use the points.  For example, pretty much every week you can get a free Wendy's Junior Bacon Cheeseburger with any purchase -- through the app.  Today Sonic has their Chili Cheese Coney dogs on sale for 99 cents.  McDonalds has Free Fry Friday for everyone who has the app.  I'm ashamed to know all that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, what I resented -- still resent -- about them starting to charge for Johnny Rockets wasn't the money.  It was the lie that accompanied it:  They claimed they added the upcharge to dissuade teens from hanging out in the restaurant.  Thing is, I'd never seen teens hanging out in that venue -- never.  Such a transparent lie. 

Sort of like in the days before selling the DBP where they said it was too keep people from drinking too much and endangering themselves and other passengers.  I guess it just too the bean counters a while to figure out the right price point for it.  Which, of course, challenges people to drink more than they might in order to "get their money's worth". 🤣

46 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Sort of like in the days before selling the DBP where they said it was too keep people from drinking too much and endangering themselves and other passengers.  I guess it just too the bean counters a while to figure out the right price point for it.  Which, of course, challenges people to drink more than they might in order to "get their money's worth". 🤣

I take it as a personal challenge lol 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Some people don’t believe that going on Carnival is better than going on Royal Caribbean. To each his own,  but we weren’t discussing Guy’s.

Excuse me .. this is my thread.  We have been discussing multiple lines compared to Royal.  Royal has always been the leader in up charging and providing inferior quality and service compared to other lines.  

6 minutes ago, bigeagle12 said:

Royal has always been the leader in up charging and providing inferior quality and service compared to other lines.  

You are totally welcome to your own opinion, I respect that, and I'd fight to the death to defend your right (I signed that blank check many years ago).  But, I disagree.  My opinion is that Carnival is in no way comparable to Royal, in any way except price.  Carnival is cheaper for a reason.  Again, this is my opinion.  

YMMV

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You are totally welcome to your own opinion, I respect that, and I'd fight to the death to defend your right (I signed that blank check many years ago).  But, I disagree.  My opinion is that Carnival is in no way comparable to Royal, in any way except price.  Carnival is cheaper for a reason.  Again, this is my opinion.  

YMMV

I was referring to quality of the up charge services .. they are way over priced for value received.  And Royal charges way more for the up charges than other cruise lines. 

On 9/4/2022 at 7:02 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Just wait until the cruise fares start climbing.......

I am betting on the opposite. They are trying to cash in now that unvaccinated can travel again before the travel bubble bursts next year.