Getting from port of Long Beach to San Diego

luv2cruisemore

We will be disembarking in Long Beach and want to find out the easiest way to get home in San Diego. For now, I have rented a car near the port to drop off at the San Diego airport, but it is expensive and a hassle. The cruise originates in Vancouver so I can’t just leave my car at the port.

Edited by luv2cruisemore

I would start with looking on the West Coast Departures board. There are many threads on transport there.

The first alternative to what you already have planned that would come to mind is an Uber to the nearest Amtrak station, than Uber from San Diego Amtrak to the airport.

You could go to LAX and see about flying to SAN.

Overall, a pretty unusual situation. I suspect there really isn't many ways out of expensive options.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

How expensive is the car with drop-off fees?

Your other alternative is to Uber to the Fullerton Amtrak station and take the Pacific Surfliner to SD. Then you have to weigh cost vs convenience.

I ran into a similar situation, have to get from San Pedro port to San Diego. I’m cruising with princess and ended up renting a car. Cost for one day rental from LAX with extra fees to drop at different location, should total just over $100. I booked this using a company rate, so your mileage may vary. I looked at Amtrak and air as other options but for time options renting worked out best for me.

• Like 1

In addition to Amtrak, Metrolink also goes to Oceanside and is less expensive. So depending on time of day and where in San Diego you are going, getting an Uber from the North County Oceanside station might be an option. They also have free long term parking so pre-positioning your car there may also work.

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

In addition to Amtrak, Metrolink also goes to Oceanside and is less expensive. So depending on time of day and where in San Diego you are going, getting an Uber from the North County Oceanside station might be an option. They also have free long term parking so pre-positioning your car there may also work.

And you can take the Coaster from Oceanside to OLT or SAN, or any other Coaster station, but how many times can you schlepp bags off and on different conveyances?

Thank you, everybody. The car rental from Enterprise in San Pedro is $138 and hopefully they will pick me up from the ship. I’ll call tomorrow to confirm that.

We’re flying from LAX and renting a car to get there. I looked at leaving my car at LAX but the cost of parking for 12 days and then ubering back to LAX from the port is much more.

I don’t really want the hassle of getting to a train station and taking the train to San Diego. The less time I have to carry our luggage the better!

• Like 1

I got valet parking at the LAX Hilton for $22 per day.  I booked it for our Thanksgiving cruise from FL.  We are driving from San Diego to LAX and back.  The hotel had a pretty decent price on a stay & fly with 14 days parking included.  But since our flight isn't until 3:00 PM we figured we would just drive and save $120.  For me convenience is worth a few $$$$.  There were cheaper lots nearby but Hilton was inside and I paid a little more for the valet.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE