Clothes Steamers

MX-Drew

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

Possibly a question for @molecrochip, are clothes steamers allowed onboard P&O ships? 

Marella allow them but of course not an iron, after all what is the difference between a clothes steamer and a kettle?

Does anyone know for sure not just a guess? 

Under P&O FAQs things not allowed on board

Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothes irons, electric steamers, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.

18 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothes irons, electric steamers, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.

Thank you, somehow I missed that whilst looking.

Strange Marella allow steamers and all cruise lines allow hair curlers and straighteners. 

4 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I now wonder whether I should leave my straighteners at home when I go on cruises because they obviously have a heating element of do I continue to take them as I have done unchallenged for the past 38 years.

I think the point is that some people may take items on board which may not be safe or well maintained. It's not that P&O are deliberately trying to be prohibitive, it is health and safety.

Also the voltage on a ship us not as stable as on land, and this could be problematic to some appliances.

10 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I think the point is that some people may take items on board which may not be safe or well maintained. It's not that P&O are deliberately trying to be prohibitive, it is health and safety.

Also the voltage on a ship us not as stable as on land, and this could be problematic to some appliances.

My wife always takes her hot brush and would be lost without it.

9 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Fair enough if the point is to restrict items "which may not be self or well maintained" but why are hair curlers and straighteners exempt?

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I now wonder whether I should leave my straighteners at home when I go on cruises because they obviously have a heating element of do I continue to take them as I have done unchallenged for the past 38 years.

Hair straighteners are allowed, but don't ask me why.

In fact they sell them onboard!

Edited by MX-Drew

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

Fair enough if the point is to restrict items "which may not be self or well maintained" but why are hair curlers and straighteners exempt?

As I read it, they are not exempt.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Items not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to:

As it says, not limited to. Unless therr is a list of exempt items that I haven't seen.

1 minute ago, Trevor Fountain said:

As I read it, they are not exempt.

As it says, not limited to. Unless therr is a list of exempt items that I haven't seen.

I have seen somewhere in the pas a FAQ where is says they are allowed, and as I say they even sell them onboard. My wife bought some and used them on the ship.

Just now, MX-Drew said:

I have seen somewhere in the pas a FAQ where is says they are allowed, and as I say they even sell them onboard. My wife bought some and used them on the ship.

I have no idea then, though the ones sold on board are presumebly brand new. 

A lot of workplaces don't allow you to use any of your own electrical items until they have been deemed safe by one of there own electricians.

It's sll health and safety. Sometimes way over the top for sure.

2 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I have no idea then, though the ones sold on board are presumebly brand new. 

A lot of workplaces don't allow you to use any of your own electrical items until they have been deemed safe by one of there own electricians.

It's sll health and safety. Sometimes way over the top for sure.

I agree there seems to be no logic and as I say Marella allows clothes steamers but not irons but that could be due to the hot face on an iron.

Oh well what I have never had on a cruise I won't miss.

14 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I've often wondered; the only electrical fires I've ever had were two involving decent quality straighteners and two involving microwaves (not that I ever plan to take a microwave on my hols)😂.

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I've often wondered; the only electrical fires I've ever had were two involving decent quality straighteners and two involving microwaves (not that I ever plan to take a microwave on my hols)😂.

Yes, tongs get very hot, burnt my dressing table top with mine!

15 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Yes, tongs get very hot, burnt my dressing table top with mine!

My old ones used to get very hot my current ones ( Remington) let me set the temperature that they can get to and they came with a heat resistant pad to place them on.

9 hours ago, emam said:

A similar question, are extension leads allowed. I have tried searching but couldn't find it.

By extension leads do you mean an actual one to one extension or a multi block extension?

Training a one to one lead around the confined space in a cabin would incur its own dangers but I have never had any problem with a multi block extension - in fact I am sure that I have read in the past that cabin stewards have "loaned" them out.

10 hours ago, emam said:

A similar question, are extension leads allowed. I have tried searching but couldn't find it.

I have always take a 4 way extension lead with me that I have cut the lead down to be about 75cm long. This is useful apart from giving multiple sockets on ships (or hotels) without UK plugs you only need one adaptor.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Extension cables are allowed, as long as they are not surge protected.

I will have to read the box to check. I knew there was something to do with surge ones but couldn't remember which way.

• Like 1