Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 36

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 5 and Sunday, September 11.

We're sneaking up on fall. Maybe take the Fall Colors "before" picture?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

The price of gas has increasingly become an issue in the last two years. California adds its bonus on top of the general pain which makes Costco's pricing per gallon the best around by 50¢ or so. Enough of a savings that our local store has had to reroute the gas line to circle the parking lot rather than back up the freeway off-ramp for most of the day. Experience has taught me that the “golden hour” starts 45 minutes after they open on Tuesday. The Monday commuters won’t need to refill until at least Wednesday and the opening bell line is gone by then. Still, driving up to a pump to fill up Costco-cardless Granddaughter Hailee’s car with nobody behind me was a rare, photo-worthy moment.

Timing is Everything

1409431041_2022-36TimingisEverything.thumb.jpg.89a0270b3177cc66156839fa5a83d0fc.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

Major catch-up project for me - been off the boards for a bit as it's been a hectic September!  Some extra duty at work trying to carve out a hole to go on vacation, then a vacation in the middle of the month, then followed by Hurricane Ian which didn't affect me on the east coast, but my office has two branches, including one in Port Charlotte that went through the eye - the 5 employees over there were all riding out their houses in the eye wall and have varying levels of damage from near-total home loss, to no damage at all but no power.  All the prep to roll over their operations to our office location and me taking calls for 6 people instead of 1 has made me quite busy.

Finally, I can get in and post some weekly photos from the last 3-4 weeks!  Starting off with some birding on the weekend of 9/10:

Pig frog sitting in the water:

original.jpg

The weekend of 9/10 was also the first strong signs of migration - lots of different species in the trees passing through and feeding up, like this black and white warbler:

original.jpg

The lovely northern parula:

original.jpg

Super-rare sighting - I've only photographed this bird twice before, in 20 years...the prothonotary warbler:

original.jpg

A female American redstart:

original.jpg

The tiny little blue-grey gnatcatcher is here all winter - this one seemed very curious about me and my lens, from about 8 feet away:

original.jpg

Another black-and-white warbler:

original.jpg

The male American redstart - much bolder pattern than the female above:

original.jpg

And finally, the more common and year-round resident, a northern cardinal, just because they're so pretty against the green foliage:

original.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Coming out of the fjord from Bergen Norway.

I think I like my new (to me) camera. This one of the first occasions I've used it and was terrified because I didn't take my laptop. I had to wait until I got home to download and *pray* I had used the correct settings.

There is no after processing as I don't have any programs yet.

DSC01812.JPG

• Like 4