Cheers lower sugar options

Indytraveler83

We have Cheers for only the second time on our upcoming 8 day cruise on the Horizon in October.  Our first experience with Cheers was fun, but we didn't do a great job of picking drinks other than the very sweet selections on the short menu they carried around.

We are looking for some lower sugar options to order while on Serenity Deck or the Lido (so something that can be served outside of specialty bars like Alchemy).

This isn't for a specific health condition or anything like that, just that a Cheers quantity of very sugary drinks made for a difficult recovery last time. 🤢😂

Please let me know your favorites, and if possible, the brand of spirit you request.  We are open to trying pretty much anything!

I'm diabetic so always look for lower sugar. Grapefruit juice usually has lower sugar than other juices so I look for those... a sea breeze is not too awful (or at least doesn't affect my blood sugar as much as other regular cocktails do).

But my go to is vodka soda with a splash of pineapple. Just a little pineapple goes a long way, but any fruit juice splash is great. 

Outside of that, coffee with Baileys is a good way to start the day. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My go to is to ask for a bourbon, whisky, or top shelf vodka (whatever my mood is) on the rocks with a Perrier. They will give you the whole bottle and then it also helps me with slowing down and hydrating 🙂  I also do this and ask for a Celsius or some kind of sugar free energy drink at least once a day.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, markntara said:

Does carnival publish a list of their mixers and soda options available on the ship?

Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Zero Sugar, Sierra Mist, Diet Sierra Mist, Mug Root Beer, Mountain Dew, Diet MT Dew, ginger ale, club soda, tonic water, bloody mary mix, tomato juice, cranberry juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, ginger beer and 3 different Cuban sodas on ships with a Havana Bar.

3 hours ago, Jenner9 said:

If I order a whiskey sour what type of sour soda do they use? 

There is no soda in a whiskey sour since it's a non-carbonated beverage.  The sour portion should be a mix from a carton that would not be sugar light.  The Serenity Bar would be the best daytime location for "light" drinks.  At night time, the Alchemy should be able to concoct something for you.

2 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

Just get a classic daiquiri. Carnival has no idea that simple syrup is supposed to go in it. They just put rum and lime juice, Very tart drink for sure.

But many of the bars will make you a frozen daiquiri and use the sugary box mix.  Get it at the Alchemy Bar and they can put a smidgen of simple syrup to balance the tartness and not make it too sweet and it'll be shaken over ice and served in it's proper glass.

28 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But many of the bars will make you a frozen daiquiri and use the sugary box mix.  Get it at the Alchemy Bar and they can put a smidgen of simple syrup to balance the tartness and not make it too sweet and it'll be shaken over ice and served in it's proper glass.

Tried one there, they did not put any simple syrup in it, nor the Havana Bar nor the Brass Magonlia.

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There is no soda in a whiskey sour since it's a non-carbonated beverage.  The sour portion should be a mix from a carton that would not be sugar light.  The Serenity Bar would be the best daytime location for "light" drinks.  At night time, the Alchemy should be able to concoct something for you.

The whiskey sours I drink have soda. We use Squirt or Diet Squirt. Used to be 50/50 but I dont they make that anymore. 

Edited by Jenner9

On 9/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, cruisecrazy82 said:

Sparklingly wine is always a good choice and low in sugar. 🙂

This is my go to drink at night. If I want it a little sweeter I ask for it with Peach Schnapps. There's also a sparkling sangria and a skinny mojito at Serenity that weren't overly sweet. I usually drink mojitos during the day but each bartender makes them a little differently - some are on the sweet side and some are more refreshing. Once I have a good one, I go back to the bartender that makes it the best.

• Like 1