How do I avoid roaming charges but still be able to use email and texts?

mkerner

59 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

We get data roaming for £2 and £1 per day, we are on different sim only contracts. 

We can switch them on and off as required. We plan to only use the £1 a day phone for calls and data. 

Sounds like a dream! Canada is an extremely expensive place for cell usage - as an example, using my provider's WW roaming for a day in the UK would cost me about $17 CAD, or £9 (similar to the ATT $10 USD mentioned earlier). Any other SIM/eSIM approach is an excellent deal for me. 🍺🥌

On 11/9/2022 at 10:50 AM, longterm said:

The package I bought the regional Europe package (39 countries) for 30 days, 10GB data, at $37. Our trip lasted 24 days total, so I paid $1.54 per day for full use of my cell phone. 

Another option is globalesim (https://globalesim.app/p/mostpopular).   We have used this a couple of times with good results.  $30/30 days/10GB.  You can add a voice number and plan for $10 more, however this does not include texting.  

longterm has covered the topic of ESIMs well.   They are an excellent solution for data, and in general, data is all you need, especially if you communicate using apps like whatsapp, FB,  GoogleChat, or even e-mail.

You can also use VOIP phone services such as Magic Jack (if you are a subscriber) by installing their app on your phone.  This allows you to make calls and send/receive texts from the MJ number over the data connection provided by the ESIM or WIFI.

Texting is not available for Canadian Magic Jack numbers, however, in Canada, you can get a free VOIP account from various providers such as FONGO, which provide free Canada-wide calling.  FONGO has add-on texting packages which allow you to send and receive texts (Globally for $C3.99) per month.  So, for $30 (E-Sim) and ($4 CAD) we are good to go for a month.

The only issue with this is that family and friends have your cell number in their address books and so won't be able to text you directly unless you can convince them to use the VOIP number while you are travelling.  (It is possible that iMessage will work if both sender and receiver have Apple devices but this requires careful configuration and requires that each of you and your correspondent knows the other's Apple-id).

In order to accommodate the family and friends who insist on Android, or the one who still uses a flip-phone from 2002,  we use an old iPhone as follows:

(This can be technically challenging to configure and must be done carefully)

Remove the physical SIM from your regular iPhone and put it in the old iPhone.

The old iPhone should be logged into iCloud and configured to forward messages to other Apple devices on the same account.

Set up the ESIM on your travelling phone

If you have a VOIP number or a travel number provided by the ESIM provider, forward voice calls from the old iPhone to that number.

Plug the old iPhone into a charger and leave it at home. 

It's a good idea to test your configuration before you leave.  You don't need to activate the travel ESIM yet, just go to the mall, supermarket or whatever and use their WIFI.  Get someone to text and or call you using  your regular (SIM based) number.

iMessage will forward incoming texts to the Apple device(s) you are travelling with (iPhone, iPad, MacBook), so you won't miss texts.

Your phone will forward incoming calls to the travel number.

You won't run up any roaming charges because the old phone is sitting at home and not roaming.  There won't be any additional charges from the VOIP service because that is all happening using the ESIM or WIFI data service.

34 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

I have ATT mobile and iPhone 11.  If i understand correctly, i can message to another iphone user with no charge.  Which is better to use airplane mode or turn cellular data off.  Can i them use wifi.  

thanks

First, set your iPhone to use ATT Wifi calling by going to Settings>Phone>WiFi calling. Then turn on airplane mode. As long as you can get WiFi, you can call, text, email, etc. with no additional charge as if you were home.

• Thanks 1

We recently switched to T-Mobile.  Our (old person's plan) plan for 2 lines is $90 per month (all inclusive), unlimited text, talk and data (including 5G)  in the US;  in Canada unlimited text and talk and 5 GB high speed data per line; internationally, unlimited text, 5 GB data at high speed (5G, where available) , and unlimited 2G if you exceed the 5GB limit  and $0.25 per minute calling in 215 countries.  WiFi calling is included.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 9:04 PM, Squawkman said:

First, set your iPhone to use ATT Wifi calling by going to Settings>Phone>WiFi calling. Then turn on airplane mode. As long as you can get WiFi, you can call, text, email, etc. with no additional charge as if you were home.

In my phone's settings menu there is the option to turn data roaming on or off. 

If off there are no additional charges, but no signal in some cases. We just switch it on when it's needed and pay the per day cost. Works out cheaper for us than a contract with no roaming charges. We're on '3' if that helps 

On 12/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, Squawkman said:

Correct

I am using an Apple iPhone 13.  Will going on Airplane mode also disable the ability to use WiFi.  I know airplane mode disables cellular.  

Am I better off just turning off cellular data on my iphone in order to maintain wifi connection and messaging.  Thank you

7 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

I am using an Apple iPhone 13.  Will going on Airplane mode also disable the ability to use WiFi.  I know airplane mode disables cellular.  
no - I turn on airplane mode when the plane takes off and don’t turn it on again until I arrive home after the cruise. Meanwhile, I use WiFi and WiFi calling extensively while cruising with no cost.

Am I better off just turning off cellular data on my iphone in order to maintain wifi connection and messaging.  
It wouldn’t help as you maintain messaging and WiFi in airplane mode.

Thank you

You’re welcome 

1 hour ago, upgrayders said:

Am I better off just turning off cellular data on my iphone in order to maintain wifi connection and messaging.  Thank you

If you turn off only data, you would still be subject to the ship's exorbitant cellular charges for texts and voice.  So, as the others have said, turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi.  If your phone and plan supports WiFi calling (you may need to turn it on or activate it), you'll be good to go for voice and texts as if you were at home.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, Messybill said:

Another option is globalesim (https://globalesim.app/p/mostpopular).   We have used this a couple of times with good results.  $30/30 days/10GB.  You can add a voice number and plan for $10 more, however this does not include texting.  

longterm has covered the topic of ESIMs well.   They are an excellent solution for data, and in general, data is all you need, especially if you communicate using apps like whatsapp, FB,  GoogleChat, or even e-mail.

You can also use VOIP phone services such as Magic Jack (if you are a subscriber) by installing their app on your phone.  This allows you to make calls and send/receive texts from the MJ number over the data connection provided by the ESIM or WIFI.

Texting is not available for Canadian Magic Jack numbers, however, in Canada, you can get a free VOIP account from various providers such as FONGO, which provide free Canada-wide calling.  FONGO has add-on texting packages which allow you to send and receive texts (Globally for $C3.99) per month.  So, for $30 (E-Sim) and ($4 CAD) we are good to go for a month.

The only issue with this is that family and friends have your cell number in their address books and so won't be able to text you directly unless you can convince them to use the VOIP number while you are travelling.  (It is possible that iMessage will work if both sender and receiver have Apple devices but this requires careful configuration and requires that each of you and your correspondent knows the other's Apple-id).

In order to accommodate the family and friends who insist on Android, or the one who still uses a flip-phone from 2002,  we use an old iPhone as follows:

(This can be technically challenging to configure and must be done carefully)

Remove the physical SIM from your regular iPhone and put it in the old iPhone.

The old iPhone should be logged into iCloud and configured to forward messages to other Apple devices on the same account.

Set up the ESIM on your travelling phone

If you have a VOIP number or a travel number provided by the ESIM provider, forward voice calls from the old iPhone to that number.

Plug the old iPhone into a charger and leave it at home. 

It's a good idea to test your configuration before you leave.  You don't need to activate the travel ESIM yet, just go to the mall, supermarket or whatever and use their WIFI.  Get someone to text and or call you using  your regular (SIM based) number.

iMessage will forward incoming texts to the Apple device(s) you are travelling with (iPhone, iPad, MacBook), so you won't miss texts.

Your phone will forward incoming calls to the travel number.

You won't run up any roaming charges because the old phone is sitting at home and not roaming.  There won't be any additional charges from the VOIP service because that is all happening using the ESIM or WIFI data service.

Hi, Messybill-

Thank you for this great info!  I was looking at the website for Globalesim and I have two questions that I hope you might be able to answer.

First-does the plan work for all countries?  We'll be in four European ports, so can I just buy one plan and have it work in all of them?

Second-I see that text messages are not included, but it seems that iMessages between iPhones should work with the wi-fi.  Is that true?

I just got an iPhone 12 Mini and am excited to be able to just buy an eSim here and set up my phone before I even leave the States!  

Thank you!  Dave

1 hour ago, Burncox said:

First-does the plan work for all countries?  We'll be in four European ports, so can I just buy one plan and have it work in all of them?

Second-I see that text messages are not included, but it seems that iMessages between iPhones should work with the wi-fi.  Is that true?

Hi Dave,

I have attached a screen print of the country list for each GlobalESim "plan".  For Europe, the "Most Popular" plan works fine unless you are going very far off the beaten track.  

Yes iMessage will work between iPhones.  iMessage sends texts by SMS only if the destination is not another apple-id (or is not logged in to their apple account). 

Here is a simpler approach that is easier to configure and that we have recently used on a trip to Europe.  In this case you do not need a second phone and you keep your regular SIM in your travelling phone.

HSP = Home Service Provider.

Make sure you have WiFi calling enabled for your HSP line.  It says “WiFi”, but actually it means “internet”.

Make sure data roaming for your HSP  is turned OFF.

Install the eSim using the instructions they supply.

Set the HSP line to search for the HSP network ONLY.   NOT Automatic (this is in the "Network Selection" setting).

Set data switching and data roaming ON for the eSim.

Now you are good to go.   Before you leave, everything will work because the phone will connect to your local HSP.

After you get to your destination, and turn off airplane mode,  the regular SIM will not be able to connect to your HSP, because there are no cell towers belonging to your HSP.

However, the eSim will connect.  It will provide internet connectivity, and because you have previously set up you home number for WiFi (i.e. internet) calling, it will use any internet connection to connect to your HSP.  Your HSP will think you are at home but outside cell tower range, and the service over WiFi will provide texts and voice service to your home number.

**Note: Any local calls you make in Europe to a European number will incur long distance charges.  Your HSP thinks you’re at home.  However, in many cases European businesses provide  WhatsApp or Viber connectivity.   These solutions are internet based and cost nothing.

There are lots of plans with various lengths of time and different data amounts.  We have found there is a slightly higher than usual demand on your phone battery -- presumably because it keeps trying to connect to your HSP, so you may need to charge it more frequently than usual.  

GlobalESIM.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Messybill said:

Hi Dave,

I have attached a screen print of the country list for each GlobalESim "plan".  For Europe, the "Most Popular" plan works fine unless you are going very far off the beaten track.  

Yes iMessage will work between iPhones.  iMessage sends texts by SMS only if the destination is not another apple-id (or is not logged in to their apple account). 

Here is a simpler approach that is easier to configure and that we have recently used on a trip to Europe.  In this case you do not need a second phone and you keep your regular SIM in your travelling phone.

HSP = Home Service Provider.

Make sure you have WiFi calling enabled for your HSP line.  It says “WiFi”, but actually it means “internet”.

Make sure data roaming for your HSP  is turned OFF.

Install the eSim using the instructions they supply.

Set the HSP line to search for the HSP network ONLY.   NOT Automatic (this is in the "Network Selection" setting).

Set data switching and data roaming ON for the eSim.

Now you are good to go.   Before you leave, everything will work because the phone will connect to your local HSP.

After you get to your destination, and turn off airplane mode,  the regular SIM will not be able to connect to your HSP, because there are no cell towers belonging to your HSP.

However, the eSim will connect.  It will provide internet connectivity, and because you have previously set up you home number for WiFi (i.e. internet) calling, it will use any internet connection to connect to your HSP.  Your HSP will think you are at home but outside cell tower range, and the service over WiFi will provide texts and voice service to your home number.

**Note: Any local calls you make in Europe to a European number will incur long distance charges.  Your HSP thinks you’re at home.  However, in many cases European businesses provide  WhatsApp or Viber connectivity.   These solutions are internet based and cost nothing.

There are lots of plans with various lengths of time and different data amounts.  We have found there is a slightly higher than usual demand on your phone battery -- presumably because it keeps trying to connect to your HSP, so you may need to charge it more frequently than usual.  

GlobalESIM.jpg

Hi,

Thank you so much for this info!!  I'll definitely do this!

Dave

On 11/8/2022 at 8:11 PM, miami mama said:

Longterm, thanks for sharing the information on Airolo. I just looked at their website but still have a question. When on a cruise visiting multiple countries, is it possible to change the designated country in the app on a daily basis as the cruise ship moves to the next port? 

Rather than doing that, buy a regional eSIM instead; if you're going to be in Europe, buy the eSIM for 39 European countries. It's not very expensive, and will allow you to travel all over Europe using the one eSIM. When you go to select the eSIM, look for the tab at the top that says REGIONAL ESIMS.

Longterm, I just went into my iPhone settings. Cellular. There are two options in blue color. 
convert to eSim

add eSim

when I click on add, it goes to my provider, ATT. I didn’t go further. Is this an economical route, or best to purchase separately? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Both my husband and I have elderly parents, but his are not in the best of health. So, we want to be able to receive calls if it becomes necessary. (hoping it isn't). We have iphones and I'm with Verizon and husband is on AT&T. But his is a work phone, so his company will pay for any calls. 

What do I need to tell Verizon about international calls, texts, etc. I hope to not make calls other than using What's App. But I'll probably want to text our daughters back in the States. 

Verizon has multiple options. You can pay $100/month and have full use of your phone <this price can vary according to your existing plan .... usually LESS:

image.thumb.png.e53c17f548cc8e4adf3444fccc01d519.png

Or with this plan you 'activate it' and it costs nothing ... until you make a call then you are charged $10 and have access for 24 hours ... On the ship turn cellular OFF but keep WiFi ON

image.thumb.png.ec845d8e58200b7d7c085eef08dcd5a5.png

I've used this and it works well. These plans get you access when off the ship. Don't forget VO has fee internet for you on the ship so you have access to your e-mail and if you have a relatively new phone you should have ability to turn on WiFi calling which places your call thru the internet (VOIP) ... On my iPhone XR Settings>cellular>Wi-Fi calling ... when connected to ship internet you sould be able to make calls . . . 

Krazy4Kruisin' , I do as Capt_BJ says (Verizon travel pass), but have recently figured out wifi calls on WhatsApp.  Since you already do that, why not just use the chat feature on WhatsApp to text your daughters (assuming everyone's on WA)?

On 4/25/2023 at 9:11 AM, Vineyard View said:

Longterm, I just went into my iPhone settings. Cellular. There are two options in blue color. 
convert to eSim

add eSim

when I click on add, it goes to my provider, ATT. I didn’t go further. Is this an economical route, or best to purchase separately? Thank you

You'd want to add an eSIM if you want to be able to email & text overseas while not onboard the ship. I've tested Airalo, but there are other eSIM providers as well; Airalo has good reviews and in my testing it worked really well, fairly easy to set up--it walks you through the process, which takes about 5 minutes.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, Krazy4Kruisin&#x27; said:

Both my husband and I have elderly parents, but his are not in the best of health. So, we want to be able to receive calls if it becomes necessary. (hoping it isn't). We have iphones and I'm with Verizon and husband is on AT&T. But his is a work phone, so his company will pay for any calls. 

What do I need to tell Verizon about international calls, texts, etc. I hope to not make calls other than using What's App. But I'll probably want to text our daughters back in the States. 

If Verizon does it like AT&T, their international plan ($10/day) kicks in automatically every day that you use your phone. The max is $100 for a month, I think, but you may want to confirm that. 

If you don't use your phone's cellular in a day, you're not charged that day; if you text, and are not on wifi, that'll count as a $10 day.

6 minutes ago, longterm said:

If Verizon does it like AT&T, their international plan ($10/day) kicks in automatically every day that you use your phone. The max is $100 for a month, I think, but you may want to confirm that. 

If you don't use your phone's cellular in a day, you're not charged that day; if you text, and are not on wifi, that'll count as a $10 day.

If you don’t sign up for the $100 plan and use the $10/day plan and use it more than ten days, you will be charged for however many days you use it. We are traveling for close to 20 days. Both my husband and I are on Verizon. I set up just one phone to be usable without Wi-Fi. Our total out of pocket will be $100 as long as we keep hubby’s phone on airplane mode. He will have access onboard with Wi-Fi. My phone has unlimited texts and data and 250 minutes of international calling. 

11 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

If you don’t sign up for the $100 plan and use the $10/day plan and use it more than ten days, you will be charged for however many days you use it. We are traveling for close to 20 days. Both my husband and I are on Verizon. I set up just one phone to be usable without Wi-Fi. Our total out of pocket will be $100 as long as we keep hubby’s phone on airplane mode. He will have access onboard with Wi-Fi. My phone has unlimited texts and data and 250 minutes of international calling. 

A clarification  for others reading this thread.  Verizon Travel Pass (the $10/day) only kicks in if you make or receive a call, send a text(receiving is free) or use data.  Unfortunately there are a lot of apps that use data in the background like auto update, photo backup, fitness tracking, etc.  If you are able to stop all that, you can have your phone on at no cost.  That can be a lot of work, but is an option.

Also, wifi calling to an international number is billed at international rates, according to Verizon.  I've never tried it.