Main Diningroom - ordering more then one entree per person?

BarbieGee

Long ago, on some of my first cruises, our server said to us, "order as many entrees, deserts and anything else that you want. Try them all! " And we did just that at times, just to try different dishes. On the last night, we ordered all the deserts!
I have not cruised in 6 years and am wondering if this is still the case.

Example: Ordering a pasta dish and I ask to have a serving of grilled salmon also.

A great dining experience is a part of a fun cruise, IMHO. 😋

• Like 3

Yeah I always order something I've never tried before and something safer, just in case I don't like the adventurous choice.

Always try something like frog legs, alligator, escargot, etc., then follow with a pasta dish, etc.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am happy to read that the portion size is small. I would prefer that. After sampling, in most restaurants, the bread, eating an appetizer, then digging into the main course, I am ready for a 'take-out' box. I've often gotten desert to go.
One my first cruise (Royal Caribbean) the 'at sea' night included surf and turf. I ordered an extra lobster tail. No problem!

• Like 2

Also remember - you can usually get a listed pasta entree as an appetizer.  I have done that many times and then ordered a different entree. Example - I love the carbonara, but don't want a whole plate of it, so ordered it as an appetizer and then ordered whatever I wanted as the main entree meal.

• Like 1

One other thing too is some of the main dishes you can order in a smaller "appetizer" size if you ask.  Things like pastas, and a few others.

Often if I want to try something new, I will order the 2 mains, but  just tell them to give me the protein and leave all the side dishes off one, that way I am not overwhelmed with tons of starches and veggies and 2 proteins.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, karmamule said:

On our last cruise (MSC Seashore) I mentioned how much I loved lobster and after ordering the surf-and-turf the waiter just brought two tails without asking. "Only on a cruise" I remember thinking to myself 😁

This used to happen all the time on Carnival ships years ago when they had more staff per person. Your a big guy, I am going to bring you several lobster tails. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Also remember - you can usually get a listed pasta entree as an appetizer.  I have done that many times and then ordered a different entree. Example - I love the carbonara, but don't want a whole plate of it, so ordered it as an appetizer and then ordered whatever I wanted as the main entree meal.

I was thinking 'carbonara' too! Great idea, to order an appetizer portion then an entree or 2.

37 minutes ago, asalligo said:

This used to happen all the time on Carnival ships years ago when they had more staff per person. Your a big guy, I am going to bring you several lobster tails. 

I hope staffing issues have been solved when our cruise in February takes place. I am sure this has had multiple affects on the cruise experience.

• Like 1

I have done the app as a main and the main as an app and 2 apps and 2 mains....all doable!  I have another question.  On last cruise I tried the calamari.  For some reason I never had it before and I LOVE it.  It's on day 1 menu....day one on upcoming Magic cruise I'm going to the steak house.  Anyone know if I could request the calamari on day 2?  Might get lucky?!?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karmamule said:

On our last cruise (MSC Seashore) I mentioned how much I loved lobster and after ordering the surf-and-turf the waiter just brought two tails without asking. "Only on a cruise" I remember thinking to myself 😁

I was just on the Divina, my husband and I each ordered the surf & turf. We traded, so I had the surf and he had the turf. The waiter saw it and offered to give us more, but I was happy with the trade, so not necessary.

• Like 2

Yes,  the portion size is definitely smaller than before. On our last Mardi Gras cruise, the waiter actually told us the portion was small and suggested us to order more. 

It is good as I can try multiple dishes and do not waste food or make myself too full. The ladies next to us ordered all entrees on the menu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes you absolutely can order as many as you’d like. Just got off the Panorama on Saturday. I only ordered one lobster tail, but the waiter brought me two! I happily ate them both!😂

On other nights, we ordered 2 apps, then an entree. But we never had dessert. (No more room in the tummy)☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BarbieGee said:

Long ago, on some of my first cruises, our server said to us, "order as many entrees, deserts and anything else that you want. Try them all! " And we did just that at times, just to try different dishes. On the last night, we ordered all the deserts!
I have not cruised in 6 years and am wondering if this is still the case.

Example: Ordering a pasta dish and I ask to have a serving of grilled salmon also.

A great dining experience is a part of a fun cruise, IMHO. 😋

If you do my time dining, you can sit in the MDR multiple times at night. 

I go at like 5 30pm. Finish around 7. Watch the show. Go to the buffet (5-10 min). Sometimes I hit up the MDR one last time before 9 pm. 

Rinse and repeat

• Like 2

I love the dining experiences in the MDR, especially the cold soups as an appetizer and then sometimes again for dessert.   It's great having the escargot and trying other dishes that I wouldn't usually fix at home.  There is a great variety of menu choices, including very tasty vegetarian options.  My family knows my choice for breakfast in the MDR on sea days - the homemade granola!  It is delish and it's great that I can have it with almond milk.

Looking forward to cruising soon!

Happy cruising y'all!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrSea said:

If you do my time dining, you can sit in the MDR multiple times at night. 

I go at like 5 30pm. Finish around 7. Watch the show. Go to the buffet (5-10 min). Sometimes I hit up the MDR one last time before 9 pm. 

Rinse and repeat

And that brings up another question: what time does the MDR close? From this post, 9pm?
When I made the booking I was instructed to choose one of two MDR choices, early or late. No mention of My Time Dining. Is it possible to change this? The idea of dining several times is intriguing. (Dinner at 5:30pm, desert at 8pm!) My Time means one makes a reservation for each time one wishes to dine?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

And that brings up another question: what time does the MDR close? From this post, 9pm?
When I made the booking I was instructed to choose one of two MDR choices, early or late. No mention of My Time Dining. Is it possible to change this? The idea of dining several times is intriguing. (Dinner at 5:30pm, desert at 8pm!) My Time means one makes a reservation for each time one wishes to dine?

I think they stop taking orders at like 9 pm. I don't recall. 

If MTD or w/e it's called is not available when you booked, it may have been sold out already. Call your TA or try to switch it when you first arrive on the ship. 

There are many discussions on fixed vs MTD. I am firmly in the MTD as I will visit the MDR 2x per night sometimes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I think they stop taking orders at like 9 pm. I don't recall. 

If MTD or w/e it's called is not available when you booked, it may have been sold out already. Call your TA or try to switch it when you first arrive on the ship. 

There are many discussions on fixed vs MTD. I am firmly in the MTD as I will visit the MDR 2x per night sometimes. 

This is off my original topic but... What are the benefits of MTD vs MDRx2? Does the fixed time place your party at the same table each time one dines? (we will be a party of 4) I experienced this on Royal Caribbean. MTD... different table each time you reserve? That was the case on Norwegian.

• Like 1

Just now, BarbieGee said:

This is off my original topic but... What are the benefits of MTD vs MDRx2? Does the fixed time place your party at the same table each time one dines? (we will be a party of 4) I experienced this on Royal Caribbean. MTD... different table each time you reserve? That was the case on Norwegian.

This thread is to help you. So I don't think it's that off topic, lol

MTD: same exact program as NCL

- allows you to sit in the MDR 2x per night.

- you sit at a different table ea time. There are pros and cons to this. If you don't like your neighbor or if someone eats something that is very smelly, you can easily move

- flexibility in your schedule if you want to do something.

- if you aren't hungry at 5:30, no problem. come back whenever you are. 

Fixed time

- you can only sit down once per night.

I will let the other proponents of fixed time dining tell you about the pros. The pros (like service and familiarity) aren't things that I value in my vacation. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

YTD (Your Time Dining) allows you to check in and eat whenever it is convenient for you.  Want to eat early, late, or twice, go for it.  Simply check in on the HUB app when you are ready and you will be notified when your table is ready (you do not make reservations).  They make every effort to keep you with the same waitstaff every evening, as long as there is availlability within that section when you check in.

Fixed time dining is exactly what it sounds like.  You go to the same table at the same time every evening.  Have early sitting and a late excursion?  No MDR that night for you 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

YTD (Your Time Dining) allows you to check in and eat whenever it is convenient for you.  Want to eat early, late, or twice, go for it.  Simply check in on the HUB app when you are ready and you will be notified when your table is ready (you do not make reservations).  They make every effort to keep you with the same waitstaff every evening, as long as there is availlability within that section when you check in.

Fixed time dining is exactly what it sounds like.  You go to the same table at the same time every evening.  Have early sitting and a late excursion?  No MDR that night for you 🙂 

Yea. To me, the negatives of fixed dining is VASTLY outweighted by YTD. 

12 hours ago, DrSea said:

I am not as brave as you are. 

The frog legs tasted just like chicken and they even look like chicken drum sticks. The escargots tasted like rubber bands dipped in butter and I liked them more than I thought I would. Never had alligator yet.

• Like 1