How often do you send out your laundry to be cleaned?

luv2ndhalf

33 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

After many cruises, I always thought we had 2 free bags (elite plus), but you're saying it's 2 bags each or 4 total. This will change my strategy, especially on our upcoming 12 day cruise. 

yes, each person who is Elite Plus gets 2 bags of laundry.  So if you both are, then you get 4.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

We are Elite so I’m guessing one bag each. We will be traveling in Europe for 12 days before our transatlantic so we will be boarding with dirty clothes, yuck! How much does a bag hold? How big is it? Thanks

We got 2 pairs of jeans, 5 t-shirts, socks and 12 pcs of underwear in a bag.  The bags are not the same on all ships.  Transitioning to a uniform cloth bag.  Also on a TA takes 2 days to get back and cannot send out last 3 days.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

Just curious what others do…… How often do you have laundry cleaned while on board? For example, 10 day cruise-Do you pack for a week and send out cleaning at like day 5? I always tend to way overpack 🙄

Our most recent (12 day) cruise was the last portion of a 31 day trip by land and sea. We have the 20-30% (?) Elite + discount. My wife sent one item for dry cleaning, never used laundry service, we washed everything in the sink. One carry-on each, not all that many clothing changes, couldn’t mess with possible wait times or loss or damage with laundry service on board.

5 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We got 2 pairs of jeans, 5 t-shirts, socks and 12 pcs of underwear in a bag.  The bags are not the same on all ships.  Transitioning to a uniform cloth bag.  Also on a TA takes 2 days to get back and cannot send out last 3 days.

Wow! That’s a lot of clothes! Thanks for the info, very helpful. Any idea how big the bag is on the Beyond, anyone?

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Our most recent (12 day) cruise was the last portion of a 31 day trip by land and sea. We have the 20-30% (?) Elite + discount. My wife sent one item for dry cleaning, never used laundry service, we washed everything in the sink. One carry-on each, not all that many clothing changes, couldn’t mess with possible wait times or loss or damage with laundry service on board.

That’s really good clothes management 

8 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

That’s really good clothes management 

We've gradually gotten better at this. One thing that is quite helpful is that some modern fabrics are comfortable to wear but also quick drying. All of my shirts and trousers will dry overnight if I first roll them in a bath towel to remove excess water.

Stan

• Like 2

We only send out underwear, sports wear and socks. We find that all other items come back wrinkled including T-shirt so unless your are prepared to pay for pressing it’s no advantage. We do take advantage of our Elite 1 items dry cleaned and 2 items pressed.

Now that we have OBC we might use dry cleaning even then last time I was not happy with a dress I sent for dry cleaning.

1 hour ago, Provence55always said:

We only send out underwear, sports wear and socks. We find that all other items come back wrinkled including T-shirt so unless your are prepared to pay for pressing it’s no advantage. We do take advantage of our Elite 1 items dry cleaned and 2 items pressed.

Now that we have OBC we might use dry cleaning even then last time I was not happy with a dress I sent for dry cleaning.

Thanks. I never had a need to address laundry issues before so I didn’t know that as elite we were also entitled to these dry clean and pressing benefits 

11 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Wow! That’s a lot of clothes! Thanks for the info, very helpful. Any idea how big the bag is on the Beyond, anyone?

I think that typically fir the Elite discount, it’s 30 or 35 items in the bag, with a pair of socks counting as 1 item. I remember the stuff the bag as being a special offered to everyone on longer cruises? If im wrong about this, im sure I will get rapidly corrected, but I know the last few times after we made Elite, we were counting out the items that went into the bag because it was by number of items.

12 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

OK, wow! Please tell me you did laundry at some point during those 31 days! I’ve built a wardrobe of those wash and wear clothes and they do dry fast after squeezing out the water, but my exercise clothes have to get really washed after a bit!

55 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I think that typically fir the Elite discount, it’s 30 or 35 items in the bag, with a pair of socks counting as 1 item. I remember the stuff the bag as being a special offered to everyone on longer cruises? If im wrong about this, im sure I will get rapidly corrected, but I know the last few times after we made Elite, we were counting out the items that went into the bag because it was by number of items.

OK, wow! Please tell me you did laundry at some point during those 31 days! I’ve built a wardrobe of those wash and wear clothes and they do dry fast after squeezing out the water, but my exercise clothes have to get really washed after a bit!

57 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Thanks it really helps to know that the number of items that the number of items to go in the bag is substantial. We have a regular wardrobe, not wash and wear. I certainly don’t have work out clothes, just eating clothes 😀

22 hours ago, Peteymil said:

After many cruises, I always thought we had 2 free bags (elite plus), but you're saying it's 2 bags each or 4 total. This will change my strategy, especially on our upcoming 12 day cruise. 

Yes absolutely-elite plus, 2 bags per person, so 4 bags total free per cruise. As long as the wash-return time goes back to a 2 day max return. For us, was 4.5 days before we got it back, now on Summit. So we only used 1 of our free bag benefits. We live in Boston and figure it’s just easier to bring it home in the Lyft with us😳. But we’ve never had it come back so late before. Sometimes, we get it back the next day. We have though, ALWAYS had to ask for additional laundry slips. It’s as though they want to discourage you from using your free laundry perk by never giving you more than one laundry slip. They return your laundry clean, but never give us a new slip. No matter which ship or when, we have always had to ask for additional slips. 

If I had free laundry, I'd send it out mid cruise.  We purchased this to use on our upcoming cruise.  I know its a mental thing, but it bugs me to see dirty laundry piled up.( probably an issue from my childhood)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R9QGPGJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Edited by calicakes

On 9/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, MarinerAlex said:

What's the laundry (just washing, not dry cleaning) cost / discount as part of staying in a Sky Suite? I'm in one in a few days, no status, so curious if its small then maybe I can pack less.

They simply charged us the $20 per bag rate every time, not by item. I don't know if they were just being nice or what, but we must have used the service five or six times.

6 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We frequently did laundry, in the hotel or ship’s sink. We carry an elastic  clothesline to supplement whatever we might find onboard, and a couple of folding hangers. TravelSmith is your friend for such supplies. 
In one town in Iceland I noticed the sign for a “hikers’ hostel/shower/laundry/bar” and I was briefly tempted to go back to the ship and get a bag of dirty clothes. I decided to go into their bar instead of into their laundry.

Sail in the PH and send laundry out every morning.  My goal is to come home with as little wash or dry cleaning as possible.  Typically the Butler will offer to pick up laundry the morning of the last full day of the cruise.  It gets returned that evening while we are at dinner.  I always mark the slip COLD WATER ONLY. In all my celebrity cruises I have only had one minor issue with the laundry.  I can’t even remember it now.

59 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Sail in the PH and send laundry out every morning.  My goal is to come home with as little wash or dry cleaning as possible.  Typically the Butler will offer to pick up laundry the morning of the last full day of the cruise.  It gets returned that evening while we are at dinner.  I always mark the slip COLD WATER ONLY. In all my celebrity cruises I have only had one minor issue with the laundry.  I can’t even remember it now.

Good to know thanks for the “cold water” tip

On 9/8/2022 at 2:38 PM, lexmiller said:

Yes absolutely-elite plus, 2 bags per person, so 4 bags total free per cruise. As long as the wash-return time goes back to a 2 day max return. For us, was 4.5 days before we got it back, now on Summit. So we only used 1 of our free bag benefits. We live in Boston and figure it’s just easier to bring it home in the Lyft with us😳. But we’ve never had it come back so late before. Sometimes, we get it back the next day. We have though, ALWAYS had to ask for additional laundry slips. It’s as though they want to discourage you from using your free laundry perk by never giving you more than one laundry slip. They return your laundry clean, but never give us a new slip. No matter which ship or when, we have always had to ask for additional slips. 

yes, even after my first bag I've had to ask for a slip for my second.

• Like 1

Dawns on me we will be sending out on Day 1 this next cruise (a 13 nt).  We'll already have a 5 day collection when we board.  Traditionally, we've left the cruise suitcases closed until boarding and live out of two small carry-ons, but may not this time.

Will be curious to see how service is this next cruise.  Last one, it was impossible to get next day service even with 9am pickup in RS.

We generally pack for 7 days regardless of the number of days we will be at sea.   Prior to hitting Zenith where we get free laundry and dry cleaning we would send out about every 4-5 days using the Elite Plus free bags.

Now that we are Zenith we still pack the same and send out about every 4 days.   I think the difference is we take along more items that require dry cleaning.   All our laundry as Zenith come back on hangers and are ironed even our T's.  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 5:08 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

We frequently did laundry, in the hotel or ship’s sink. We carry an elastic  clothesline to supplement whatever we might find onboard, and a couple of folding hangers. TravelSmith is your friend for such supplies. 
In one town in Iceland I noticed the sign for a “hikers’ hostel/shower/laundry/bar” and I was briefly tempted to go back to the ship and get a bag of dirty clothes. I decided to go into their bar instead of into their laundry.

Bar-laundry, laundry-bar, what to do??? I know which one I’d pick, and it has more to do with gin than detergent! 😉