Regent/Seven Seas vs Viking

BobCatter

We just completed our first Viking cruise. It was a two-week trip to get a feel for Viking and how they run their operation.

Overall, the hotel operations exceeded our expectations. It is a beautiful ship; the service, food, spaces, shows, programs etc were very well done.  Very impressed.

We were not overly impressed with the shore excursions. The included bus tours were hit and miss, but now that we know that we can figure that into our budget. All-inclusive isn't really all-inclusive if you have to pay extra for yoga, better/more options for drinks, and more interesting/different time ashore. Again, now we know - so we can adjust our expectations accordingly.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who has sailed with both Viking and Regent to compare and contrast the two lines. Regent also sells itself as all-inclusive, but it is more expensive. But are the offerings better? The ship/hotel? We're specifically looking for information as it would pertain to longer itineraries: Grand Voyages, World trips, anything over 30 days.

If there is a better board to post this on, please let me know.

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Regent is  a Luxury line & all inclusive  with a few exceptions

Viking is  maybe premium  with some inclusions

If you have traveled on both lines, could you provide more detail? Are the excursions a step above? Is there lots of availability?  Are the hotel operations/service/food markedly better?  I'm hoping to get more information than what is available from the websites. We do plan to travel with Regent to do our own evaluation but are looking for other perspectives.

Thank you.

23 hours ago, BobCatter said:

We just completed our first Viking cruise. It was a two-week trip to get a feel for Viking and how they run their operation.

Overall, the hotel operations exceeded our expectations. It is a beautiful ship; the service, food, spaces, shows, programs etc were very well done.  Very impressed.

We were not overly impressed with the shore excursions. The included bus tours were hit and miss, but now that we know that we can figure that into our budget. All-inclusive isn't really all-inclusive if you have to pay extra for yoga, better/more options for drinks, and more interesting/different time ashore. Again, now we know - so we can adjust our expectations accordingly.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who has sailed with both Viking and Regent to compare and contrast the two lines. Regent also sells itself as all-inclusive, but it is more expensive. But are the offerings better? The ship/hotel? We're specifically looking for information as it would pertain to longer itineraries: Grand Voyages, World trips, anything over 30 days.

If there is a better board to post this on, please let me know.

Prior to moving to a more inclusive cruise line, I researched all of them, then shortlisted to Viking & Oceania, spending more time with thorough research.

We now sail with Viking and your experience is exactly what we expected. With respect to the "Included" shore-ex, I concur, most are the most basic tours, being bus trips or walking tours. However, in some ports, the included tour is exceptional - Komodo Island included the walk with the dragons and Safaga was a 10-hr tour to Luxor and the Nile. When researching cruises, the "Included" tours are described on the website. Personally, we average about 30 - 50% of the included tours, with the remainder being private tours or the optional shore-ex. Overall, I found Viking's optional tours cost slightly less than similar tours with other cruise lines.

On short cruises, Viking only provide complimentary drinks at lunch and dinner, although from what I read, they are very generous providing additional drinks as you leave. We take longer World Cruises, which are truly all-inclusive, with every drink up to $15 included. In 4-months we never found any drink that exceeded the $15, so had no bar bill.

It has been a number of years since I did the research, but from memory, Regent did provide all-inclusive drinks (not sure if they had a max price point) and included a better selection of tours. They were also more formal than Viking and I found a disconnect between the cruise line "Rig of the Day" policy and what pax posted in CC. I seem to remember they also include complimentary flights on all cruises, whereas Viking only provide these on World Cruises, and some select cruises.

Regent was more expensive, but definitely provided a more inclusive experience.

Might be worth completing the same exercise I did, developing a State of Requirements. Since no cruise line will provide everything you want, my list includes "Must haves" and "Preferences" You can then research what each cruise line offers and compare it to your SoR. This exercise assists in determining if the more inclusive cruise lines provide the value you expect.

I have not cruised  either

My research for out personal preference  is Oceania

I would check both forums & ask about the excursions if that is important to you

We usually DIY or get a group together from the roll call  max 12 pax

We are not big drinkers so have those included  is not important to us

Only you can decide what it "worth it" for your personal preferences

Some things  are not something you can put  a price  on

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

31 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We now sail with Viking and your experience is exactly what we expected. With respect to the "Included" shore-ex, I concur, most are the most basic tours, being bus trips or walking tours. However, in some ports, the included tour is exceptional - Komodo Island included the walk with the dragons and Safaga was a 10-hr tour to Luxor and the Nile. When researching cruises, the "Included" tours are described on the website. Personally, we average about 30 - 50% of the included tours, with the remainder being private tours or the optional shore-ex. Overall, I found Viking's optional tours cost slightly less than similar tours with other cruise lines.

It has been a number of years since I did the research, but from memory, Regent did provide all-inclusive drinks (not sure if they had a max price point) and included a better selection of tours. They were also more formal than Viking and I found a disconnect between the cruise line "Rig of the Day" policy and what pax posted in CC. I seem to remember they also include complimentary flights on all cruises, whereas Viking only provide these on World Cruises, and some select cruises.

Regent was more expensive, but definitely provided a more inclusive experience.

Might be worth completing the same exercise I did, developing a State of Requirements. Since no cruise line will provide everything you want, my list includes "Must haves" and "Preferences" You can then research what each cruise line offers and compare it to your SoR. This exercise assists in determining if the more inclusive cruise lines provide the value you expect.

Thank you for your detailed response. We are in the process of doing the evaluation of must haves vs nice to have vs etc etc. Our only previous cruising experience was with Lindblad (10+ cruises), which are all very small ships to remote places. Their expertise is not in World cruises (which is what want to do now) but in polar regions where every day is an expedition of sorts.

I guess we won't really know the differences between cruise lines until we travel with them. What on earth is "Rig of the Day"? We tend to be more on the informal end of things, so formal nights and the like are not interesting to us. If that was part of an overall 'better' experience (whatever that means - very subjective) than maybe we do that.

Thanks again.

Edited by BobCatter

2 hours ago, BobCatter said:

Thank you for your detailed response. We are in the process of doing the evaluation of must haves vs nice to have vs etc etc. Our only previous cruising experience was with Lindblad (10+ cruises), which are all very small ships to remote places. Their expertise is not in World cruises (which is what want to do now) but in polar regions where every day is an expedition of sorts.

I guess we won't really know the differences between cruise lines until we travel with them. What on earth is "Rig of the Day"? We tend to be more on the informal end of things, so formal nights and the like are not interesting to us. If that was part of an overall 'better' experience (whatever that means - very subjective) than maybe we do that.

Thanks again.

"Rig of the Day" is my way of describing a cruise line's policy/recommendations on attire, especially when they have formal nights. We used to enjoy formal nights, as when I worked on the ships, every night was formal, and everyone dressed up. However, that is no longer the case, so we now prefer the more relaxed atmosphere and smart casual of Viking.

With some extensive research, you'll be surprised at how close you can come to setting realistic expectations of a new cruise line. I read extensively from cruise line websites and then read posts on CC and travel blogs to determine from actual pax how close the experience is to what the cruise line advertises.

• Like 1

I have sailed on neither, but ......... having made serious enquiries with both,including attending a Regent presentation (free food 🙂 ) with a Q & A session  at the end, I would have no hesitation in  choosing Viiking over Regent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I have sailed on neither, but ......... having made serious enquiries with both,including attending a Regent presentation (free food 🙂 ) with a Q & A session  at the end, I would have no hesitation in  choosing Viiking over Regent.

Interesting. Would you mind sharing what swayed your opinion? Was the food that bad? 😆

• Haha 1

I asked a couple of - to me - important questions and the answers were wholly unsatisfactory. 
Firstly I pointed out that international flights from my local airport could mean that I would be forced to fly out a day early and have an overnight layover in an hotel. I asked how they would deal with this and would I be charged a deviation fee.
They responded by telling me not to worry and they would sort something out nearer the time but yes I would have to pay the deviations fee!
The second point I raised was that people in the more expensive accommodation would have first choice in respect of excursions so what would happen if, when I booked, everything was booked up. They again told me not to worry as they would probably be able to sort something out once we were on board.
With the greatest respect I am not going shell out several grand on a 'probably be able to sort something' scenario. 

... and yes it was 'not to the chefs expectations ' 😵💫

• Like 1

Do other lines fly you in a day early with no extra fees?

We usually will pay the deviation fee  if we use the cruise air  or we just book our own air

Would never to fly to overseas  to arrive the day of sailing  but that is just me

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Do other lines fly you in a day early with no extra fees?

We usually will pay the deviation fee  if we use the cruise air  or we just book our own air

Would never to fly to overseas  to arrive the day of sailing  but that is just me

With Viking, if you request to fly in early, they charge a deviation fee. If using Viking Air and they fly you in a day early, Viking cover all the costs.

However, I have found them open to negotiation in special circumstances. Prior to our World Cruise, which on departure L/A, spent 8 days at sea to French Polynesia, I pointed out that in the unlikely event of snow in Vancouver, we could miss the ship. Even a couple of inches of snow on the West Coast can result in gridlock and disrupt operations at YVR.

I pointed out that if we were delayed by snow, Viking were responsible to put us in hotels for over a week and fly us to join the ship in French Polynesia. They graciously waived the deviation fee at both ends of the cruise.

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The second point I raised was that people in the more expensive accommodation would have first choice in respect of excursions..

This is actually true on Viking as well. Higher accommodation levels get to book earlier. Viking guarantee one excursion per port, but you may not get the time you want, and the optional excursions may very well have booked up.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With Viking, if you request to fly in early, they charge a deviation fee. If using Viking Air and they fly you in a day early, Viking cover all the costs.

HMMM

If using Viking air  they charge  a deviation fee or  they cover the costs??

Which is it?

Under what circumstances  would they fly you in the day before ?  not including  World cruises

2 hours ago, BobCatter said:

This is actually true on Viking as well. Higher accommodation levels get to book earlier. Viking guarantee one excursion per port, but you may not get the time you want, and the optional excursions may very well have booked up.

Interesting

On Oceania  it is first come on the Excursions

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

HMMM

If using Viking air  they charge  a deviation fee or  they cover the costs??

Which is it?

Under what circumstances  would they fly you in the day before ?  not including  World cruises

When using Viking Air, if you request to arrive 1 or more days early, they can charge a deviation fee. However, I find Viking are open to negotiation and if you can make a reasonable argument for arriving early, they may waive the fee.

They have flown pax early where no scheduled flights are available to get pax to embarkation prior to the manifest being submitted ashore.

• Thanks 1

I have a cruise booked for next year. The ship sails at 5pm.

With the best will in the world I cannot fly out the same day and meet the boarding deadline.

Common sense suggests I fly out the day before, or even the day before that.

It would annoy me if a company charged me a fee for flying out early because of reasons outside of my control.

As it happens flights are not included on this cruise so I will sort my own out ... probably via the company who claim they are competitive. We shall see!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 11:28 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

I asked a couple of - to me - important questions and the answers were wholly unsatisfactory. 
Firstly I pointed out that international flights from my local airport could mean that I would be forced to fly out a day early and have an overnight layover in an hotel. I asked how they would deal with this and would I be charged a deviation fee.
They responded by telling me not to worry and they would sort something out nearer the time but yes I would have to pay the deviations fee!
The second point I raised was that people in the more expensive accommodation would have first choice in respect of excursions so what would happen if, when I booked, everything was booked up. They again told me not to worry as they would probably be able to sort something out once we were on board.
With the greatest respect I am not going shell out several grand on a 'probably be able to sort something' scenario. 

... and yes it was 'not to the chefs expectations ' 😵💫

Both are good points here. I have sailed on Regent and not Viking. Trying to book Regent excursions is frustrating. The website is poor and higher end suites get first dibs. We sailed Concierge and most were sold out by the time we were allowed to book.