Beyond Transatlantic Drops Bermuda, adds Malaga

Sascol

Based on the e-mail recv'd from Celebrity, Bermuda is out "Due to regulations in Bermuda, which would have hindered our guest experience". This impacts the dates of some of the other ports as well so be on the lookout for this if you have any excursions/plans booked on your own.

1 minute ago, Orator said:

As well as the SIL TA in October.

I believe they will do all the TAs, Starting with the earliest. They need to make the change nefore 30 days out, so that people are not sending $40 to Bermuda for the Travel Auth.

Norwegian is already canceling Bermuda as well.

A lot of taxi drivers, tour operators, and shop/restaurant owners will be quite mad at the Bermuda government today. 

I suspect they drop the testing requirements very quickly to avoid further cancellations. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I'm on Edge 10-24.  I'd be thrilled to trade Bermuda for Lisbon, or for the Canary Islands, or the Azores, or where ever.

Harris

Denver, CO

And 10 minutes later I got the email.  Edge is going the the Azores instead of Bermuda.  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

A lot of taxi drivers, tour operators, and shop/restaurant owners will be quite mad at the Bermuda government today. 

I suspect they drop the testing requirements very quickly to avoid further cancellations. 

Don't count on them dropping the requirements. Those transatlantics are a drop in the bucket compared to the regular weekly Bermuda sailings. Also the current Bermuda government is pretty tone death and they were elected in a landslide. Probably the next chance for a change is if the leading partys leadership is changed in October. 

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

And I really like Malaga.  We have been there twice and thoroughly enjoy the area.  

If you have suggestions for tours, either private or ship-based, please feel free to share either here or privately! 🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Not likely to happen. There is reason to remove it from transatlantics but not from that sailing. 

What is the reason?  just curious. I'm on the Oct. 15th sailing  and between the cost and the paperwork it's a hassle for a few hours on the island....

20 minutes ago, mimi217 said:

What is the reason?  just curious. I'm on the Oct. 15th sailing  and between the cost and the paperwork it's a hassle for a few hours on the island....

On the transatlantic say it is a 12 day sailing for example they would have had to test before embarkation then because that was more than fours days from arriving in Bermuda they would have to have had had an additional covid test onboard before arriving Bermuda and the ships medical staff would be required to do the testing. So you can see why the cruise line would not want the hassle and is canceling the stop. That does not apply to the Oct 15 sailing. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, mimi217 said:

Mid-cruise testing would be required for the TA, but not for the 10/15 repositioning. Instantly quarantining dozens of passengers mid-cruise is not something that Celebrity wants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amevola said:

If you have suggestions for tours, either private or ship-based, please feel free to share either here or privately! 🙂

Loved the Malaga stop. Signed up for the Alhambra in Grenada. It is one of the more interesting tours Ive done. Beautiful bus drive to it; great tour of Alhambra with the mix of Catholic and Islamic architecture and art. Just fantastic. 

It was the ship tour and Not one of those 500+ showing up at the site. Well done. 

I’m on the Edge and just signed up for a private 1/2 day tour in the Azores.

Den

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amevola said:

Visited the Alhambra from Malaga on the ship's excursion. Nice, informative bus ride. Beautiful place, interesting architecture, excellent tour guide. Well worth the trip. Was there in October on a TA. Great weather. Would love to return. Enjoy!

(BTW --- my sister and BIL stayed in port and wandered over to the "clothing optional" beach. Don't think it was intentional and don't think they stayed long. They then had a nice lunch in town.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Good start, Celebrity. Now take care of the rest of the repositioning cruises, including the Summit. Boston to Miami.👏

Agree! We will be on that cruise and to pay the Government of Bermuda $80 for a 6 hour visit is insane. What a money grab by Bermuda. Already paid them $80 this past May for a Summit cruise. 

• Like 1