Carnival Pride 10-day cruise to (Pompeii), (Mt. Etna), Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, Olympia, Turkey, plus train around Italy

IntrepidFromDC

8 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Yes, there are plenty of loungers on Lido and Serenity is open. The ship does not feel full.

Thanks.  I'm actually interested in seating on the Promenade Deck outside.  You know, where you go to muster.  I practically live out there on HAL ships.  Nice padded loungers.  Both beach towels and blankets out there for the Alaska sailing.

On Pride in January and there was nothing out there at all.  Not even the typical wooden bench with the ship's name where they store extra life vests.  Very disappointing.  And Serenity was packed and not at all serene.  Could be different in Europe.  I imagine by the time we get our sea days on the TA (in early November) it may be too cold out there.  So, more people packed indoors = more noise and crowding.

13 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Thanks.  I'm actually interested in seating on the Promenade Deck outside.  You know, where you go to muster.  I practically live out there on HAL ships.  Nice padded loungers.  Both beach towels and blankets out there for the Alaska sailing.

On Pride in January and there was nothing out there at all.  Not even the typical wooden bench with the ship's name where they store extra life vests.  Very disappointing.  And Serenity was packed and not at all serene.  Could be different in Europe.  I imagine by the time we get our sea days on the TA (in early November) it may be too cold out there.  So, more people packed indoors = more noise and crowding.

No seating outside at all at mustard station A

For Mykonos I downloaded Fodors recommended walking tour and added a trip up the bluff to see the other side. Mykonos was everything I expected plus. Plus being,  like anyplace rich in beauty photos don't bring it to life.  Being there, walking the tiny streets crammed with over-priced average food and mostly women's boutiques, brought it to life. Would I want to come back? Probably,  and do an excursion next time...

• Like 2

For this cruise I'm following some highly rated walking tours in Mykonos,  Santorini. Just meandering around town in Ephesus (will visit the grand bazaar). I have excursions in Athens (Acropolis,  etc), Olympia (ruins and museum), Sicily (Mt. Etna and Taormina) and Napoli (Pompeii guided tour and Positano). This will be my third time to Pompeii it's just amazing to see a well-preserved Roman city as it was in 79AD, when it was buried by soft ash instead of lava from Vesuvius' eruption. 

• Like 2

I didn't do my research on Mykonos restaurants ahead of time so I plopped down at the first place I saw with TripAdvisor Award signs. Usually TripAdvisor steers me straight,  not this time.  I had a very weak cappuccino (maybe cappuccinos in Greece are supposed to be weaker than Italy and US?) and a smoked salmon and avocado sandwich that lacked anything.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. You know,  like MDR.  It's called Kazarma and I don't recommend it. Middle of this pic with the charmer in the white top luring you to the mediocrity.  About 50 yards after you get off the tender.

20220914_111535.jpg

20220914_104759.jpg

20220914_105124.jpg

1 minute ago, grimpil said:

Any chance Ken Byrne is still maitre d'

I haven't seen or heard him, and I ate MDR first 2 nights. Which reminds me!  The menu is different!  Not alot different but last night I had Weinerschnitzel with creamy spinach and it was really good for MDR!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:30 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Hi, kelkel2, I should have added "live" to the Topic but left it out.  Yes it'll be live.  I'll talk about the day and post some pics each day.  I'll also be happy to answer some questions.

Of all the destinations, Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, Turkey, Olympia, Parma, Pisa and Cinque Terre will be firsts for me.  I've been to Venice, Rome, Bologna, Taormina, Positano and Pompeii before and love all of them.  Also been to Capri and Sorrento and felt too rushed and like they were tourist traps.

Capri is the ultimate tourist trap! I was one of the firsts off the ship that morning as we wanted to do Capri and Pompeii both that day and had to catch the first hydrofoil to the island. Everything had to go perfect for us to pyll off the day's itinerary. We had reservations for a Blue Grotto sailing we had to make to getb"finished" in Capri and head back to the mainland.  Upon arrival at Capri (which I envisioned to be this glorious place) I quickly discovered the tourist trap it wad. It was awful.  The grotto tour didn't even queue up to go inside the grotto. My friend wasbsi mad he demanded another tour that actually went in. I was so over it I took the ferry alone back to the mainland, blew off Pompeii and enjoyed the Serenity Deck and beautiful views of Port. 

Just hearing the word Capri makes my blood boil.

I'm so jealous of your sailing. I booked a 9 nighter out of Dover Sept 10 of next year last month. I wanted to do a similar sailing as yours but my schedule didn't allow as the dates for Greece didn't work for me. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

For this cruise I'm following some highly rated walking tours in Mykonos,  Santorini. Just meandering around town in Ephesus (will visit the grand bazaar). I have excursions in Athens (Acropolis,  etc), Olympia (ruins and museum), Sicily (Mt. Etna and Taormina) and Napoli (Pompeii guided tour and Positano). This will be my third time to Pompeii it's just amazing to see a well-preserved Roman city as it was in 79AD, when it was buried by soft ash instead of lava from Vesuvius' eruption. 

Perhaps re-think your decision and take a tour to Ephesus. It will blow you away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I forgot to post last night's note about early water taxi. Here's last night's,  plus today's for Santorini tomorrow. 

20220914_180614.jpg

20220914_184253.jpg

How long did you have to wait in the lounge before being taken to the tender?  I will be doing this same itinerary next year and am trying to get an idea of when we might be off the ship.

2 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Perhaps re-think your decision and take a tour to Ephesus. It will blow you away. 

Agreed, and the step houses, an optional side tour, bests anything you'll see in Pompeii. I was amazed to see indoor plumbing!

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

How long did you have to wait in the lounge before being taken to the tender?  I will be doing this same itinerary next year and am trying to get an idea of when we might be off the ship.

Zero wait. I was 10 minutes late,  they whisked me around the crowd to an elevator to A deck past the herd at the stairs. PLATINUM does still have its perks. Also, the water taxi left about 2 minutes after I boarded.  Lucky morning. 

• Like 1