Carnival Pride 10-day cruise to (Pompeii), (Mt. Etna), Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, Olympia, Turkey, plus train around Italy

IntrepidFromDC

The bus trip from Messina to our lofty perch on Mt. Etna was about an hour. Unfortunately today Etna is not billowing grey smoke or fiery lava, but only a little white smoke that blends in with the crowds. But  we did get to visit two of the lower craters that experts say are safe to visit. There was evidence of recent lava flows we passed,  Nadia said it was from June and that Etna has had only 2 explosive eruptions in 2022 compared to 55 in 2021. These first 4 pics are in Messina as we left on the bus.

20220919_102628.jpg

20220919_103854.jpg

20220919_104343.jpg

20220919_104334.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

After going through the turnstiles there's another very long line to go through the ancient gateway to the Acropolis,  which has several structures of architectural and historical importance.  All three structures are in honor of various aspects of Athena. I estimate total line time about 1.25 hours, although the second line was better because as I slowly ascended the huge marble steps to the ancient gateway there were nice views of Athens,  below. 

20220917_093106.jpg

20220917_093925.jpg

20220917_093402.jpg

20220917_093625.jpg

Do you remember what time you started standing in line to get into the Acropolis?  And what time passengers were allowed to disembark?  TIA!

The ancient Greek/Roman theater was originally built by the Greeks for tragedies and comic theater. When the Roman's conquered Sicily they tore out the front rows of the theater, dug out the ground under the stage and built 8ft walls around the sunken space and men vs beast competitions became sport of the day. Today all that remains is the columns and about 20% of the brickwork you see. Everything else is post-Roman renovation and reconstruction over centuries as civilizations preserved history instead of razing/pillaging architectural achievements.

20220919_172547.jpg

• Like 3

Note the lack of cars on the streets. Taormina is a small walking town but you can park just a few blocks away.  Last time I was here we took the train from Messina after crossing the Messina Strait, the narrow body of water between Sicily and the toe of the Italy boot, by ferry, looking out for the sea monsters from Homer's Odyssey.

20220919_173536.jpg

20220919_173222.jpg

20220919_173200.jpg

20220919_180331.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Do you remember what time you started standing in line to get into the Acropolis?  And what time passengers were allowed to disembark?  TIA!

I think got off the ship at 745am (early because Carnival excursion) and we were in line about 845am.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

The ancient Greek/Roman theater was originally built by the Greeks for tragedies and comic theater. When the Roman's conquered Sicily they tore out the front rows of the theater, dug out the ground under the stage and built 8ft walls around the sunken space and men vs beast competitions became sport of the day. Today all that remains is the columns and about 20% of the brickwork you see. Everything else is post-Roman renovation and reconstruction over centuries as civilizations preserved history instead of razing/pillaging architectural achievements.

20220919_172547.jpg

The amphitheater has great acoustics and this year has hosted a wide range of artists including Italian opera singers,  Carlos Santana and Simple Minds, according to Nadia.

3 hours ago, Annabella29 said:

Hi, we’re on this cruise October 1, can’t wait!!!   Which excursion did you do for Mount Etna?  Is it the one that goes to 10 000 feet?  Or is it presently unsafe and not available?

Love your updates!

Thank you!

As of yesterday,  10,000 feet was not allowed.  We did Etna and Taormina through Carnival, including lunch.  I think it was around $150?

8 hours ago, Annabella29 said:

Hi, we’re on this cruise October 1, can’t wait!!!   Which excursion did you do for Mount Etna?  Is it the one that goes to 10 000 feet?  Or is it presently unsafe and not available?

Love your updates!

Thank you!

We are on the 10.01 cruise as well.  Something to keep in mind for Messina, we will be there on a Sunday. Past experience has been that the town os basically shut down on a Sunday, not sure of that will be true on our cruise or not.  Intrepid, were you there on a Sunday?  Can you confirm this?

• Thanks 1

Just now, IntrepidFromDC said:

Today is Positano,  Sorrento and Pompeii. We just left Positano, a beautiful town on the beach and very steep cliffs and mountains.

20220920_100043.jpg

20220920_100254.jpg

20220920_110131.jpg

Sorry,  that first pic is actually the 4 towns of Meta, Piano, Sorrento and one other, as we passed them on the way to Positano. The other two are Positano. 

If going to tour Pompeii (which was on my bucket list and fulfilled all my expectations) try to get a private guide.  If you haven't booked one there were many waiting outside that you can hire very inexpensively.  Very, very, very hot there - bring lots of water.

• Like 1

I do have a question for you.  Did you change time during the cruise at all?  If we decide to do a independent excursion in Athens, we need to know the ship's time.  I know Rome and Athens are 1 hour apart.  I don't want to plan an excursion and then miss it because I am an hour late.