Visiting Monserrat monastery aboveBarcelona

Thunderbird19

Would appreciate advice/tips from anyone who has visited the old monastery, Montserrat, near Barcelona.  Thanks, in advance!

Will be in port for about 9 hours and the cruise ship offers an excursion there, but have just started exploring doing it on our own (is public transportation even an option?) to perhaps have more time there or with a local tour company. 

Public transportation is possible (or used to be?) but a multi change operation from the port. First you need to get out of the port and than to the Placa d'Espanya.

Line R5 goes from from there in the direction of Manresa. Either to Montserrat Aeri station, from where a cable car goes up 1350 m, or to Monistrol de Monserrat and continue by rack railroad. 

We were there just before covid on Oceania.  I used Spain/Barcelona Day Tours. It had the Monastery in the morning and winery in afternoon. Was lovely.   This is a very reputable company. They picked us up. Went to Monastery. I really wanted to hear the boy singers. They come out once a day and sing for about 5 min.  Get there well before announced time because it was packed. Very foggy /rainy day. Walked around plaza. Stopped into cafeteria for coffee. Afterwards we went to a small family winery. Turned out to be really good. So good that we bought 2 bottles to bring back home.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:03 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

Would appreciate advice/tips from anyone who has visited the old monastery, Montserrat, near Barcelona.  Thanks, in advance!

Will be in port for about 9 hours and the cruise ship offers an excursion there, but have just started exploring doing it on our own (is public transportation even an option?) to perhaps have more time there or with a local tour company. 

Using public transport to Monserrat would be too time consuming on a port visit.  It would be doable if you were in the area for a few days and have extra time.  This is a place where you are better off with an excursion.

I think the topic "above Barcelona" is mis leading.  Monserrat is about 35 miles distant from Barcelona.  We have driven it (rental car) and also gone there via train.  My advice to a cruiser doing this on a port day is take an excursion!  DIY is best left to folks who are actually staying in Barcelona.

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think the topic "above Barcelona" is mis leading.  Monserrat is about 35 miles distant from Barcelona.  We have driven it (rental car) and also gone there via train.  My advice to a cruiser doing this on a port day is take an excursion!  DIY is best left to folks who are actually staying in Barcelona.

Hank

Thanks Hank. We've been to Barcelona before. This time going inside the La Sagrada is a must (will book the tickets earlier this time). We're thinking half day for that and half day for Monserrat. Do you think that's realistic? Also.. what's the roads like getting up to Monserrat? I don't do well with vertiginous steep sided mountain climbs up narrow roads. T.i.a.

8 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Thanks Hank. We've been to Barcelona before. This time going inside the La Sagrada is a must (will book the tickets earlier this time). We're thinking half day for that and half day for Monserrat. Do you think that's realistic? Also.. what's the roads like getting up to Monserrat? I don't do well with vertiginous steep sided mountain climbs up narrow roads. T.i.a.

It has been a few years, but I do not recall the road (2 lanes) being anything other than a decent mountain road with plenty of curves.  Nothing frightening other than trying to find a parking spot :).  If it is a crowded day parking can be an issue.  Friends prefer to park near the lower cable car station and take the cable car up to Montserrat but we have never used the cable car.

Doing Montserrat and Sagrada Famiia on the same day would be a stretch but I suppose it can be done if one were to get a very early start.  You might also consider that you can go to Montserrat via train (from Barcelona) and cable car.  Here is a link (in case you haven't discovered this yet) to some good info on the train option:

How To Organize Your Train Journey From Barcelona to Montserrat, Spain (montserrat-tourist-guide.com)

If doing both sites on a single day it would make sense to first go to Montserrat and plan on visiting Sagrada Familia later in the afternoon.   

Hank

P.S.  It cannot be said too much, that you should be very careful with your valuables.  Barcelona's reputation as a haven for pickpockets//purse snatchers is well earned.  The professional thieves are very good at their craft, so you have to be better at taking basic precautions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did Spain Day Tours - Montserrat and City Tour. We had shortened time at Montserrat but was adequate for us.  Then, we booked Sagrada Familia for the morning of embarkation because I always have the itch to board WAY too early and I figured it would be a nice distraction to spend the morning there and then board in the early afternoon.  Even in August Sagrada Familia was blazing hot and muggy but 10 am and my bf wanted out of there ASAP so it was a little disappointing for me bc I would have liked more time there. Maybe this could be an option for you. 🙂

Also agree with Hank - pickpockets are always watching you.  I bought a really good over the should Travelon purse that has these anti-theft zippered pockets.  Made me feel much more secure. https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Classic-Crossbody-Black/dp/B01EAFEEN4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=27S0DYV8ZMRPS&keywords=over+the+shoulder+purse+with+lock&qid=1663691737&sprefix=over+the+should+purse+with+lock%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-6

Also bought something for my bf to carry his stuff in rather than his wallet - it connects to his belt loops but then hangs down inside the pants rather than out.  You can never be too careful.

Have a wonderful trip....and take me with you. 🙂 

Edited by erby2283
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

Thank you erby2283!  Love your profile picture… looks just like our baby Katie!

Awww. They do look alike. She is beautiful. Sadly my baby passed in 2016 after getting his 4th cancer but I cantbear to change my picture. Then I got him tattooed on me so I still see him every day. 

A7F4D240-65D7-49DF-939C-E95C0C80E531.jpeg

Edited by erby2283

That is beautiful!  I know what you mean about not being able to change his picture… my profile picture (and the background on my computer) are still the 2 pups we had before Katie… they’ve been gone 5 and 6 years now, but I can’t change their picture either. ❤️

• Like 1

I bought my husband cargo pants online at Haband.  They have a hidden side zipper with a picket. Looks like part of the seam. Worked great when he was pickpockets in Fatima.  He keeps 1 euro in his out pocket and that's what they got. The hidden pocket didn't get touched

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, little britain said:

Did Montserrat last Sunday as RCI airport drop off tour as we had a late flight. $79pp.

Absolutely beautiful place.

Hi, I know you posted this several months ago, but hoping you can answer a couple of questions. We will be in Barcelona in a few weeks and would like to use the RCCI airport drop off that includes the Montserrat visit.

1) Did you feel like you had enough time at  Montserrat?

2) Was there a narrated guide on the bus ride there?

3) Was there time to take the funicular? 

4) Do you leave your luggage on the bus/van?

5) About what time are you dropped off at the airport?

Looks like the price has gone up considerably since when you took the excursion. It is now over $100.

15 minutes ago, Envelope21 said:

Hi, I know you posted this several months ago, but hoping you can answer a couple of questions. We will be in Barcelona in a few weeks and would like to use the RCCI airport drop off that includes the Montserrat visit.

1) Did you feel like you had enough time at  Montserrat?

2) Was there a narrated guide on the bus ride there?

3) Was there time to take the funicular? 

4) Do you leave your luggage on the bus/van?

5) About what time are you dropped off at the airport?

Looks like the price has gone up considerably since when you took the excursion. It is now over $100.

Yes we felt there was enough time. 
Our guide on the bus was excellent and informative.

No time or mention of funicular.

Yes luggage on the coach.

I know we had plenty of time at airport- enough to grab a sandwich and drink … I just checked - our flight left at 15:10 so I’d say we were easily back at airport by 12:30

Edited by little britain