11 night cruise ladies would you rewear outfits?

Cruiser1862

I want to pack much lighter as I consistently overpack. I am always sure I need an outfit for every single night but I end up re-wearing certain clothes. After all, I shower after the day out and wear my dinner outfit a few hours at most. 

I want to bring a couple of sun type dresses and rewear them. I know it’s easy to bring black and white slacks/capris and change up the tops. But what about dresses?

• Like 1

I am definitely an overpacker! This past cruise in August I rewore a few  of my very favorite dresses by adding a jean jacket(I am always cold in the AC) and changing the jewelry and shoes. I would definitely stick to solids for the items you want to rewear.  It's totally doable - especially for your 11 night cruise! 

3 minutes ago, Cruiser1862 said:

I want to pack much lighter as I consistently overpack. I am always sure I need an outfit for every single night but I end up re-wearing certain clothes. After all, I shower after the day out and wear my dinner outfit a few hours at most. 

I want to bring a couple of sun type dresses and rewear them. I know it’s easy to bring black and white slacks/capris and change up the tops. But what about dresses?

First and foremost, you are on vacation. There are no fashion police tracking what you wear. No one else cares what you wear. You will see everything from dinner dresses to shorts and t-shirts in all the dining rooms. 

Personally, I rewear outfits on 5 night cruises. All resort casual (nothing that I need to fuss over). I will have one dress , just in case (e.g., captains cocktail party), but normally never wear it. We cruise a half dozen times a year and try to pack [very] light. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

My spouse and I travel carry on only. We re-wear 3-4 dinner outfits because like you said, we shower before dinner and they are only worn for a few hours. We also rewear jeans and shorts a few times since they don’t get dirty that fast. This is for 7 day cruise. It’s so nice bypassing all of the luggage lines in the airport and at the port. Especially when traveling overseas. 

I like to take things that I can mix and match. I also make use of laundry (We are both Platinum) which makes it quite easy to do this. I wear neutral on the bottom half and bright colours on the top. I don't do dresses or skirts. One pair of shoes for day and one for night time. Works for me.

• Like 1

I am a notorious over packer. My rule of thumb is I have to manage my luggage on my own...if I can't carry it, I can't take it (and I turn down offers for assistance, even if they are young and handsome).  I am petite, not young and typically travel solo.

I am getting ready for a 12 day cruise, plus 6 days prior in Europe. Temps ranging from 40s in Iceland to 80s in Barcelona. I am slowly weeding out my wardrobe and instead of 3 dresses for dinners, I am down to one LBD with scarves and jewelry. I realize that no one cares what I wear but I dress for me. Do what makes you feel good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cruiser1862 said:

I'd definitely pack light.  Yes, you can probably rewear some outfits more than once.  You can also send a bag down to the laundry (they do a better job than I do on my stuff!)  You also don't have to pack a fancy outfit if you don't want to deal with the (entirely optional) "dress up or not" night.  Most importantly, it's not like you'll be out with coworkers, who might notice you wearing the same stuff.  I assure you people won't care.

19 minutes ago, Cruiser1862 said:

Thank you so much. I just wanted to make sure no one would think “OMG didn’t she wear that the other night”??!!!  But, truth be told…who cares??!!

Right,  no one cares even if anyone would remember.  

• Like 2

The last thing I worry about on a cruise is whether or not someone else knows that I wore a certain item before. I live in dresses and love them. So, I wear dresses every day.  I am not ok re-wearing anything without it being washed. So, I use the laundry option. That's on 7 day sailings. If it's a back to back, I might add 2-3 more dresses for the second week so I have enough dresses to cover both weeks, including the laundry service. It's never crossed my mind if someone will recognize that I'm wearing the same dress. Not sure why they would care. I have also washed items in the sink and let them air dry. Again, I just cant wear items again without them being cleaned. Feels a bit uncomfortable to me. Enjoy!

Added: Most of my dresses are colorful, so I also dont worry about only bringing solids that can mix and match. It's a cruise. I like to wear ccolorful and fun clothes. 🙂🙋‍♀️🛳 So, I dont worry about bringing stuff that can go together. Fun dresses that can be washed is my strategy. 

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 1

I have done carry on only for many years.  We just returned from. 10night cruise from Southampton to Reyjakvik and spent three days post cruise touring.   I wash out my undies and if necessary my tees.  For evenings I take one pair black slacks, and three wrinkle resistant tops.   All hand washable if need be.  As Bird said, no one will give a flip what you are wearing.  One of the joys of packing light is, it takes five minutes to unpack which allows us to get out to the balcony with a beverage right away.  And on your last day you are not spending precious hours packing, either.   We often travel with friends who bring refrigerator sized luggage and they miss a great deal of their last afternoon or evening preparing to disembark.  What a waste, in my humble opinion.   We can take advantage of an earlier flight should one come up because we have no checked bags to worry about.

lots of advantages when you learn to let go of the outfit, or two, per day. Give it a try, my guess is you won’t go back to overpacking when you e perience the freedom of carry on only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruiser1862 said:

Thank you so much. I just wanted to make sure no one would think “OMG didn’t she wear that the other night”??!!!  But, truth be told…who cares??!!

You will never see these people on your cruise again so who cares what they think? In this day and age of lost luggage only pack what you can carry on.