Renting a car in Italy

dleahy4444

Prior to our transatlantic cruise we are driving through Sicily. We plan to rent a car from Hertz at the palermo airport. I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories as well as urgent recommendations to buy the additional insurance at the counter. My credit card company provides additional rental car insurance but the claims process seems pretty complicated, at least to me. Should I rely on that or just purchase the more expensive coverage at the rental counter. I know this isn’t exactly a  cruising question but I’m a newbie at trying DIY traveling. If it’s inappropriate to pose this question here maybe someone can direct me elsewhere? Thanks in advance 😊

We usually rent a car through a broker, we have had good success with autoeurope.  They lay out the options clearly.  Then you have someone in your court if things go awry.   Italy I believe has mandatory insurance,  some credit cards will also not cover Italy. So it is wise to check ahead.  

Also it is mandatory to have an international drivers permit in Italy.  You can get these at AAA or CAA.  Some will say they are unnecessary but it is Italian law,  and the carabinieri do not joke around if you don’t have one. 

We find driving in rural Italy easy, but have not driven in Sicily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We too book thro a  broker, almost always cheaper than booking direct.

Basic third-party insurance is always included, most also include damage to the vehicle but with a big excess of the first €1,000 to €2,000.

And when you collect a car you need to very very carefully look for even tiny pre-existing damage, esp wheels & tyres and glass (inc. lights), photograph  any damage and ensure that the agent acknowledges it & signs for it in your copy of the paperwork. This applies even to the big multi-nationals like Hertz, Avis, Alamo, etc.

Zero excess avoids any potential grief, and makes collection & return much quicker.

It can be provided by the rental operator, but at a ridiculously high cost - sometimes more than the basic rental cost.

We use a reputable and well-reviewed third-party insurer for excess cover, at a fraction of the cost. Until the pandemic we had an annual excess policy, nowadays with much less travelling we've done it on a one-off basis.

Because the insurer is a third party, if any damage is claimed you will have to pay (remember, the rental agency have a copy of your credit card details), you then claim from the third-party insurer and leave them to negotiate with the rental agency. Other than from reviews, I don't know how well that works because I've never had to claim.

I wonder whether your card issuer's insurance is the same ?

JB 🙂 

11 hours ago, bennybear said:

We usually rent a car through a broker, we have had good success with autoeurope.  They lay out the options clearly.  Then you have someone in your court if things go awry.   Italy I believe has mandatory insurance,  some credit cards will also not cover Italy. So it is wise to check ahead.  

Also it is mandatory to have an international drivers permit in Italy.  You can get these at AAA or CAA.  Some will say they are unnecessary but it is Italian law,  and the carabinieri do not joke around if you don’t have one. 

We find driving in rural Italy easy, but have not driven in Sicily. 

I agree with this.  AMEX does not cover Italy (don't know where you are from).  The rental agents might not check if you have an International Driver's Permit, but the police will ask for it if you are stopped or involved in an accident.  Being unprepared can lead to big bucks!  

• Like 1

I will add my support to renting from either Autoeurope or Kemwel (sister companies).  These companies are located in New England and are what is known (in the industry) as auto rental consolidators.  They work with companies like Hertz and Europcar to provide discounted rates (rentals must be for at least 3 days).  They will generally offer an all-inclusive rate which has a zero deductable (you need to look for this or give the a call) which I recommend for Italy.  While some credit card coverage works in Italy, other cards (such as AMEX) will often exclude Italy from their coverage.

When choosing your rental, keep in mind that many European rentals are standard shift (stick shift) which usually has the best rates.  If you want/need an auto shift, make sure that you choose a car that has that option.   You also should spend some time (online) learning about "ZTL"s which are Limited Driving Zones.  They exist in many Italian cities (including some on Sicily) and if you drive into one of these ZTLs you will later get a nasty fine (usually about 100 Euros).  It is also a good idea to do some online research into the various Parking rules in Italy.

A few other tips.  Europe loves speed cameras and they do exist on many major highways (autostrade) as well as in some small towns that have speed zones.  If you speed, you will be later fined (usually billed to your credit card by your rental car company).

Lastly, although we also have credit card coverage for the collision deductable, my usual preference (in Italy) is to seek out a zero deductable (mentioned in the first paragraph).  This is based on a lot of experience (we have driven over 10,000 miles within Italy).  My issue in Italy is with the parking situation and small scrapes, scratches that can happen (often when you are not even near your car) while parked.    And be aware that under Italian Law you must have in your possession a valid International Drivers Permit (available from any AAA Office).  If you get stopped by the Police (for any reason) they may ask to see the IDP and not having one can result in a nasty fine.  I also like having a working GPS (it is easy to get lost in Italy) and generally just rely on my iPhone (T-Mobile works just about everywhere).

Hank

I check both with the pre-mentioned brokers and the 'majors' own sites.  Sometimes i can get a slightly better rate from the major.  I got a rate in Bologna from hertz for my little econo box stick shift that was shown as 'not available' on autoeurope this past july.  Rates are obscenely high this year, so I checked and checked and checked...

Yep - get that IDP!  Some will say it was never checked, but if you get stopped, you need it.  

• Like 1

Our Italy rentals have all been purchased through Autoeurope.    It has usually been Hertz or Avis. We always get a standard.  We prefer a small Fiat Panda because both carry ons will fit in the back with the cover over them.

We tend to avoid renting from Airport locations especially if there is a large premium.  

We have had great luck in the past with autoeurope rates for one way rentals.  Pick up as we leave Florence, drop off just after the bridge when entering Venice, etc. 

I second ZLT's.  A fair number of the speed camera traps do not work.  If you see the person in front of you slow down suddenly that is a very good indication that the speed camera in that location is functioning!

Also be prepared for unmanned filling stations.  You deposit your money, the pump dispenses the amount of fuel purchased.  I found it a bit disconcerting at first.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We love renting an Alfa Romeo, when in Rome 🤷‍♀️😂.   

I would never rent a car within Rome.  Much of the central area is within a ZTL which means nasty fines for unauthorized cars.  And traffic in Rome often makes it faster to walk or just use public transportation :).  But would be very happy to have an Alfa rental :).

Hank

Me either, I was not being literal,  😉

Except for the Alfa’s which we’ve enjoyed a few times.  Also much more affordable than a Ferrari.  
But when in Italy doesn’t have the same “je ne sais quoi”. 🤷‍♀️😂

Edited by bennybear
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, iancal said:

A fair number of the speed camera traps do not work.  If you see the person in front of you slow down suddenly that is a very good indication that the speed camera in that location is functioning!

In our area they move the functioning part of the camera to a different one every so often, and it takes a while to figure out which one, so we don’t dare take them for granted! 

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, dleahy4444 said:

Prior to our transatlantic cruise we are driving through Sicily. We plan to rent a car from Hertz at the palermo airport. I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories as well as urgent recommendations to buy the additional insurance at the counter. My credit card company provides additional rental car insurance but the claims process seems pretty complicated, at least to me. Should I rely on that or just purchase the more expensive coverage at the rental counter. I know this isn’t exactly a  cruising question but I’m a newbie at trying DIY traveling. If it’s inappropriate to pose this question here maybe someone can direct me elsewhere? Thanks in advance 😊

You should buy all the insurance you can.. we buy full insurance so all we have to do is hand the rental company the key fob.  We have had more dents, dings, smashed bumpers, flat tires in Italy...not because of us but because of the "others."

1 hour ago, rkr said:

You should buy all the insurance you can.. we buy full insurance so all we have to do is hand the rental company the key fob.  We have had more dents, dings, smashed bumpers, flat tires in Italy...not because of us but because of the "others."

We came back from our trip a few months ago. We were very lucky that everything went well. It helped that we were given a brand new car so there were no pre existing dents to dispute. Also we just used the car to drive from town to town. Once at our destination we parked at a garage and either walked  or took cabs. We never parked on the street. We were in Sicily during shoulder season, so it wasn’t as crowded as it could have been