Shade/umbrellas on Journey pool deck?

brookmill18

We are considering our first Azamara cruise on Journey. It is a port intensive cruise, but from looking at some YouTube videos of the ship, I didn't see any umbrellas or much natural shade for the pool deck. For those who have sailed on Journey, do you remember pool deck umbrellas by loungers or natural shading? Even the hot tubs seemed not to have a canopy? 

There are lounge chairs both on the open deck and under the balcony on the deck above.

The hot tubs are open to the sky.

As the sun moves additional areas will be more shaded as each wonderful day passes.

I'm sure you can find images of the pool deck. Also check out the deck plans so you get a better idea of the ship's structure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

We have been on the Onward several times when it was the Pacific Princess. There is lots of shade on the pool deck.

Likewise we had been on Pursuit as Minerva II for 27 nights when she spent a full two weeks up the Amazon and most of the rest of that time in the tropics.  There is shade under the running deck which overhangs the pool deck area and also on an parts of the prom deck as well as shade from parts of the ship above each deck at certain times of day.  Should not be a problem IMO. 

Enjoy the cruise.

This one of the notable anomalies with the Azamara ships as they have been "adopted". It's really a case of small, bigger, biggest as far as shade at the Pool Bar.  Journey has none, Quest a little more and Pursuit has a good size awning. As Odd has observed, the attempt to provide shade on Journey has some limitations. And whatever is done on that ship it can't stop the direct sun hitting if you are stood at the Pool Bar itself.  Pursuit was so much better, but it's quite a structure. 

Phil

We are choosing this trip because of the itinerary--I watched a few YouTube videos, one being recorded in 2021, and while small (we have really only been on RCCL Oasis and Quantum class), Journey looked very nice and for this itinerary I would not want to be on a big ship anyway. Wish there was more shade but I'll be sure to have my hat and UV coverups! The ship seemed in good condition from the videos I saw and we're excited by the small ship atmosphere for this type of trip. 

26 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

We are choosing this trip because of the itinerary--I watched a few YouTube videos, one being recorded in 2021, and while small (we have really only been on RCCL Oasis and Quantum class), Journey looked very nice and for this itinerary I would not want to be on a big ship anyway. Wish there was more shade but I'll be sure to have my hat and UV coverups! The ship seemed in good condition from the videos I saw and we're excited by the small ship atmosphere for this type of trip. 

There is adequate shade at certain times on the Promenade deck 5, either side of the ship. If you dont mind not being by the pool. There  are loungers there.

Edited by combine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, combine said:

There is adequate shade at certain times on the Promenade deck 5, either side of the ship. If you dont mind not being by the pool. There  are loungers there.

My DW is generally a 'shady', and I am generally a 'sunny' and on 54 cruises across 15 cruiselines our preferences in that regard have always been met! When shade is required, it can easily be found in the open areas...no matter the ship! 😉