Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Wearing shorts is not the problem.  Neither is wearing capris or sandals or sleeveless tops.  The problem is wearing those items with a washed-out t-shirt with some former garish logo on it, 3 sizes too big, sagging over said shorts.  The issue is simple: many of us think that people who look like slobs should be barred from nice restaurants.   All that's asked is wear a clean shirt that fits, tucked in and maybe a belt.   

The dress code clearly says, no shorts for men. " We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, sandals, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM"

35 minutes ago, ORV said:

No, Oceania does not ask any of the above, perhaps you do, but not the dress code. Once again, it's real simple, read the dress code, don't interpret it, just follow it. 

The problem always with these threads is that people want the dress code to be what they want, not what it is. 

I disagree.

It is not a matter of what people want, it is just questioning as to why the code is as it is.

As I mentioned earlier, most restaurants on land have done away with dress code. Of course, any establishment can try to refuse entry if the customer is "wearing those items with a washed-out t-shirt with some former garish logo on it, 3 sizes too big, sagging over said shorts. "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

The dress code clearly says, no shorts for men. " We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, sandals, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM"

I think we have to face the fact that we have been effectively trolled. This poster has never travelled on Oceania yet she feels qualified to speak about things she has never seen or experienced on Oceania  - offensive logo T shirts, slobs, over-sized and  dirty shirts….It is obvious that she has never read the responses to her several posts.

‘If you look at her posts, she flits from thread to thread, cruise line to cruise line, commenting on dress, smoking policy, washing machines that only afford hot water, emergency procedures, immigration lines. 
As said above, Carnival might be a better fit.

Edited by Robjame
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I think we have to face the fact that we have been effectively trolled. This poster has never travelled on Oceania yet she feels qualified to speak about things she has never seen or experienced on Oceania  - offensive logo T shirts, slobs, over-sized and  dirty shirts….It is obvious that she has never read the responses to her several posts.

‘If you look at her posts, she flits from thread to thread, cruise line to cruise line, commenting on dress, smoking policy, washing machines that only afford hot water, emergency procedures, immigration lines. 
As said above, Celebrity might be a better fit.

I think you're right. I keep forgetting that some people get some sort of vicarious thrill out of stirring up controversy. So sad that such people have no real life, or original thoughts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Robjame said:

As said above, Celebrity might be a better fit.

Hey!! I don't want her on my next Celebrity cruise LOL

MSC or Costa would fit her better  🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, escrick said:

Is there a host to these boards?   If not, could a cruise critic techie deal with them?  Just wondering.

Deal with what?

If you report a post   ( 3 dots in top right corner) of the post  a Host will deal with  any issues here

• Like 1

Yes, but keep in mind that just because you or I might think something is a problem doesn't mean that the moderator will. This board has always had quite a bit of freedom, I like it that way as opposed to always disappearing posts. There was a board I have frequented in the past that seemed to be if someone reported a post, it disappeared, whether it violated guidelines or not. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, but keep in mind that just because you or I might think something is a problem doesn't mean that the moderator will. This board has always had quite a bit of freedom, I like it that way as opposed to always disappearing posts. There was a board I have frequented in the past that seemed to be if someone reported a post, it disappeared, whether it violated guidelines or not. 

Okay, I get it.   Of course, there is always freedom from as well as freedom to.  I can always choose to ignore the trolls; however, I am not patient with anything that is mean-spirited.  Ah, well . . .

4 hours ago, escrick said:

Okay, I get it.   Of course, there is always freedom from as well as freedom to.  I can always choose to ignore the trolls; however, I am not patient with anything that is mean-spirited.  Ah, well . . .

Sometimes it is the reader, not the writer that deems something mean spirited.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, escrick said:

You’ll learn quickly which names “have attitude” , never learned tolerance of others’ viewpoints, or are just plain rude. Who cares what they think/post anyway?

19 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

You’ll learn quickly which names “have attitude” , never learned tolerance of others’ viewpoints, or are just plain rude. Who cares what they think/post anyway?

There is  always  the "ignore" feature  as well to block their posts 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

Sometimes it is the reader, not the writer that deems something mean spirited.

Oh?  I would hope that most cruisers have been taught how to critically think, meaning how to detect what is disparaging of others from that which affirms.  Otherwise, you seem to be saying that when we dare to criticise communication that hurts, not helps, we are in the wrong, eh?

27 minutes ago, escrick said:

Oh?  I would hope that most cruisers have been taught how to critically think, meaning how to detect what is disparaging of others from that which affirms.  Otherwise, you seem to be saying that when we dare to criticise communication that hurts, not helps, we are in the wrong, eh?

CruiseCritic makes it very easy to implement critical thinking. Click on the person’s name and read what else they have written.

• Like 2

Short and long. It’s not overly difficult to search Cruise Critic for dress codes on any cruise line. If one merely googled “ Dress code of Oceania “, they get multiple threads directed back to Cruise Critic where one can read countless pages of responses on the issue.

In my experience, those coming here, or on other lines, asking dress code questions are primarily trolling to watch the slugfests.

Don’t Feed the Trolls!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Short and long. It’s not overly difficult to search Cruise Critic for dress codes on any cruise line. If one merely googled “ Dress code of Oceania “, they get multiple threads directed back to Cruise Critic where one can read countless pages of responses on the issue.

In my experience, those coming here, or on other lines, asking dress code questions are primarily trolling to watch the slugfests.

Don’t Feed the Trolls!

There are many repetitive questions.

Dining, dress codes, O Air, make it to the airport after docking, loyalty memberships, waitlists, services on board and on and on.

Almost all are not trolling but legitimate questions asking for recent experience from new to CC people.  These people hope to get recent and quick answers from long time CC users, not to be called trolls.

Sorry for being off topic and prolonging this discussion.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

There are many repetitive questions.

Dining, dress codes, O Air, make it to the airport after docking, loyalty memberships, waitlists, services on board and on and on.

Almost all are not trolling but legitimate questions asking for recent experience from new to CC people.  These people hope to get recent and quick answers from long time CC users, not to be called trolls.

Sorry for being off topic and prolonging this discussion.

Sometimes, if people can't understand someone's point, or don't want to, it's easier to just call them names.  Trying to understand and evaluate a concept that you don't agree with is hard work.

• Like 4

Jumping in to this discussion to agree that dress code threads are an issue on the other two cruise lines I follow. It is Huge on the Cunard board and almost all end up being locked. People are very passionate about dress at dinner. We will take our first Oceania cruise in September, 2023 and really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

A large part of the relaxed attitude is the maturity and courtesy broadly practiced by Oceania cruisers - don't wear your dreary play clothes (jeans, shorts, tee shirts, etc.) when interacting with people to whom you are willing to show a modicum of respect.

Well said!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 8:09 PM, pinotlover said:

Most all Dress Code threads are started for the sole purpose of watching the resulting fire works. I’ve seen posters start dress code threads on multiple lines on the same day obviously just for kicks.

Don’t Feed the Trolls! 

And yet I was raised to be the "better man," i.e. if I choose to get into it with someone on the internet, that's really on me. It's MY job not to engage people who obviously only want to argue for the sake of it, not my job to tell others what they may post. Do you see what I mean?

On 10/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, Guppy99 said:

Actually, it does matter. Some people save all year, or more, to afford a vacation. They like the ambiance of tablecloths, cloth napkins, the correct wine glass etc. It is incongruous to have someone seated that is wearing ripped jeans, a shirt that says "I'm with stupid" or an obscene graphic. If you would like that sort of comfort, then do it where there are paper placemats, plastic forks and solo cups.  Everything is not appropriate everywhere. The attitude of "I'll do whatever I want and look however I want" is something most people abandon in their late teens.  That is also why there are both very casual venues and those that are a bit nicer. it should be observed and those that choose not to are really saying: "Look at me. I go through life doing exactly as I please without a thought for anyone else. I dare you to say something"

Thank you, exactly my view, 100% percent. True story: I'm on a flight once with my wife, who's very much about "people should dress however they want." A lady walks down the aisle wearing an ill-fitting pair of PAJAMAS with, shall we say, extra bits of flesh exposed, and my wife says "oh my God, what was she THINKING?" And inside I'm thinking "welcome to 'whatever people want to wear.'" People always say they don't care how others dress, until it dawns on them that anything means just that: anything.

Edited by DCGuy64
added missing word to last sentence
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 2:46 PM, GrammieK said:

capris and blouse for women will be appropriate in any dining venue. Shorts for the buffet are okay for men, but not for other dining venues. 

I plan on wearing nice capris and a nice top/blouse to the MDR.  Will I be OK in specialty restaurants in that, as well?  Also, I've read the "no sandals" in the police and does that mean nice sandals or flip=flops?  Are they trying to avoid open-toed shoes?  Wondering if I need to go shoe shopping before we leave in a couple weeks.  Thank you!