no knives multi tool.

miyanc

10 minutes ago, CTSandy said:

My friend brought a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew on an NCL cruise we took 6 or 7 years ago, in her checked bag.  Got called to the naughty room and she had to leave it with them - had a small blade - she always took it on vacation for opening wine bottles.  They did give it back to her at the end of the cruise and we have an ongoing joke about smuggling pointy weapons on board.

She should cruise with RC. 😁

4 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

This thread doesn’t fill me with confidence for the security checks. 

You should read the results from the TSA "read team" that tests its screeners at the airport.  They have had a fairly high failure rate - like over 80% of contraband making it through.

• Like 1

Ty to all those that pointed out what I already said, leaving it home would negate the issue I must have missed my own comment stating that.  I won't let that happen everytime.

So why do we carry anything onboard? Why not just show up naked with no luggage.  I can just buy stuff at the gift shop. 

Ty to those that did leave input.  I am off the the threads that discuss alcohol so I can talk down to those people because it's completely useless and a waste of money and should just leave it at home so you don't get taken to the special room. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, miyanc said:

I know the easy answer is not to take it.  I can put it in 1 of my family bags, which will get checked.  But I don't want to loose it at the port.  I know the risk is even if you all say it's fine and I travel with x, but I would still like to hear from others. 

I have carried a leatherman in checked luggage on every cruise I have ever taken. And Royal and other cruise lines have not cared. I suppose they are worried more about stabbing than cutting,,, because I can go to any dining room and get a steak knife. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, gmerick said:

Anthem, Jan 22 - Checked bag was delivered to my room.  Made 5 shore excursions over the following 11 days carrying the bag.  Not even a question.  4 1/2" blade, 9 1/2" overall length.  Either I don't fit the criminal image, or SCUBA divers can get away with anything..... image.png.2b48aeeae3927cb1b66a64437e4bab4f.png

You lucked out. I forgot that I had my dive knife in my bad with my equipment and it was confiscated by the ship.

1 hour ago, jamestown478 said:

You lucked out. I forgot that I had my dive knife in my bad with my equipment and it was confiscated by the ship.

Why?  Diving is an excursion that they promote, they wouldn't let you bring a dive knife in your checked luggage?

23 hours ago, miyanc said:

So I have had problems before.  Even when I wasn't flying.  I usually carry a multi tool.  The rule was, at 1 point as long as the blade was less then 2 or 3 inches.  Then it was not clearly defined and I got 1 taken away before boarding.  Being leo saved me because the security agent kept it for me and gave it back when we got back.  I then stopped taking them. 

I carry a few kinds, but I am down to just 1 i still carry.  It's the Leatherman micra.  It's a tiny thing and I mainly use the scissors.  It has a small blade on it but that can be removed. 

I am not sure if I am checking a bag, so it seems TSA is ok with it (there is agent disgression).  But what about the port?

I know the easy answer is not to take it.  I can put it in 1 of my family bags, which will get checked.  But I don't want to loose it at the port.  I know the risk is even if you all say it's fine and I travel with x, but I would still like to hear from others. 

Biker19 thanks for pointing out how stupid I am and much better at life you are. 

You made me laugh, not at you, but because of a memory.  A few years back, my uncle Les who was about 90 at the time came to visit my parents from the UK.  On the flight, my cousin had some loose thread on her clothing and Uncle Les whips out his big pocket knife in the middle of plane saying "here dear, use this is quite sharp."  I guess no one searched him.  He was of the generation that believed a gentleman always carries a pocket knife.  I've taken or purchased knives on cruises and never had an issue nor had anything taken away until the end of the cruise.  I really see no issue with a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife.  I brought back a nice folding Martiini in July from a Baltic cruise in July.

The only time I have ever had a gun drawn on me was once entering a courthouse with a tiny little 1.5 inch long single-blade pocket knife that I always carried.  At that time, I could even take it on a plane.   I dropped it into the plastic bowl with all my other pocket stuff as the security checkpoint.   When the sheriff manning the station saw it, he literally whipped out his gun, cocked it, and started yelling "WEAPON!"  At first I thought someone behind me had a gun.  When I finally realized what was going on, I was totally incredulous about it.  He made me take the knife outside the building, following me, gun trained, every step.  The funny thing is that I was going there to meet a friend of mine for lunch who at the time was a state supreme court justice.  

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The only time I have ever had a gun drawn on me was once entering a courthouse with a tiny little 1.5 inch long single-blade pocket knife that I always carried.  At that time, I could even take it on a plane.   I dropped it into the plastic bowl with all my other pocket stuff as the security checkpoint.   When the sheriff manning the station saw it, he literally whipped out his gun, cocked it, and started yelling "WEAPON!"  At first I thought someone behind me had a gun.  When I finally realized what was going on, I was totally incredulous about it.  He made me take the knife outside the building, following me, gun trained, every step.  The funny thing is that I was going there to meet a friend of mine for lunch who at the time was a state supreme court justice.  

Wow, that's absolutely crazy.  How was the lunch?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rudeney said:

For me it was a month after Sept 11.  Me and my brother were in Florida to see the Islanders play the Panthers.  We were turned around in Miami and pulled down a side road to look up where we needed to go.  Well we happen to pull into an entrance to the oil store.  We had 6 military guys point M16's at us.  I jammed my thumb banging it into the roof, when I raised my hands so fast.  The funny thing was, as they quickly realized we weren't there to blow up the oil, the lead guy almost immediately dropped his gun down and walked up and leaned on the car. He went from hands up to, to Miami tour guide.  Complete with details of his favorite places to eat.  All the while, the other 5 guys took turns pointing the guns at me and my brother.  I am surprised I hit the brake.  In that situation I could easily mashed the pedal or more likely took my foot off and rolled. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Wow, that's absolutely crazy.  How was the lunch?

We ate at the courthouse cafeteria.  The food was less than mediocre, but the company was fine, and of apparently he had already heard that there was an incident in the lobby.  When he found out it was me, it took about all of 5 seconds for him to point me out to all his co-workers.  🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I never had a need for a pocket knife on a ship.  So, my suggestion is leave it at home, and problem solved

For me, it's the tools - screwdrivers, pliers, etc.  It comes in quite handy if I need to make repairs to luggage, clothing, shoes, etc.  We carry a small tabletop fan with us and once the blade came loose.  Without a screwdriver, it would not have been fixable.  Sometimes a small knife is the perfect tool to fix something.  The idea that someone could actually use a pocket knife or Leatherman tool as an actual "weapon" is really laughable.  A fork from the buffet would be a better choice of weapon.  

50 minutes ago, rudeney said:

For me, it's the tools - screwdrivers, pliers, etc.  It comes in quite handy if I need to make repairs to luggage, clothing, shoes, etc.  We carry a small tabletop fan with us and once the blade came loose.  Without a screwdriver, it would not have been fixable.  Sometimes a small knife is the perfect tool to fix something.  The idea that someone could actually use a pocket knife or Leatherman tool as an actual "weapon" is really laughable.  A fork from the buffet would be a better choice of weapon.  

I have been at the windjammer and considering where those forks had been probably more dangerous!  😉

• Haha 2

On one cruise, we had been doing a road trip prior to departing on the cruise. We had some kitchen utensils in our bag (fork, spoon, butter knife). It got flagged and our bag got sent to the naughty room. Ship's security looked at it and smiled. Then passed it back to us. But,,,,  it was an hour of our evening waiting in line at the naughty room and clearing security. 

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

Was the gun trained on you?

On 9/11/2022 at 2:00 PM, mpdog42 said:

I would take it thru Security as a carry on and tell them before...Show them your Creds

Why would his creds matter?   It’s not like LEO are allowed to bring prohibited items/weapons onboard public carriers.  Honestly I’m not sure that is the best strategy. 

22 hours ago, five. said:

Though later it says you can check a scuba knife with security. 

I don't see that anywhere in there, not in the official rules for Royal Caribbean:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

In fact, it says:  All knives!  

I disagree with the rule, 100%, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I don't see that anywhere in there, not in the official rules for Royal Caribbean.

Yea, that bit was in a pdf that I found:

Items such as dive knives must be reported to ship’s personnel at the time of boarding and may be permitted onboard, but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore

On page 9:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/guest-conduct-policy.pdf

On 9/11/2022 at 10:10 PM, miyanc said:

So why do we carry anything onboard? Why not just show up naked with no luggage.  I can just buy stuff at the gift shop. 

What do you honestly need and use from that tool? 

Clothing is something you actually need.

17 hours ago, rudeney said:

So you bring a tiny screwdriver and pliers and call it a day?

I personally find any multitool to be terrible to use and will carry a tiny more bulk and weight to have better usable things. It's not like I am camping and the weight really matters. 

3 hours ago, jamestown478 said:

got sent to the naughty room to claim my bag and they kept the knife

If you go on a Royal ship again, print out the pdf from a few posts up and follow their instructions. It specifically says that you can check a dive knife with security.

• Thanks 1