$78 for $100K Medical Evacuation?

The-Inside-Cabin

I am covered overseas with Tricare for Life - I pay 20% of whatever up to a $3K cap.    They will cover evacuation but you have to pay up front and seek reimbursement.    While shopping around I came across a policy by Travelex called Flight Insure Plus -  Details attached - which provides $10 K of medical and $100 K of evacuation.     Price $78 

I don't need trip cancel insurance - but these guys say they would pay for the evacuation up front - which would be nice. 

Am I missing something?   

Flight_Insure_Plus_Policy_FIPB-1117_CA.pdf

Haven’t read your policy but here’s what I know about most.

What is the definition of “Evacuation” and from where to where?

Evac from ship to shore? Usually free.

From a shoreside facility to a shoreside facility that can better provided life saving measures required? Yes, Pricey

From a shoreside facility to a facility of your choice for continued care? Usually has many requirements, to include but not limited to Patient stability, approval of receiving Dr, approval of discharging Dr., approval of insurance company.

Many also have the requirement that the patient be listed as an “inpatient status” at an approved “Hospital” not a clinic. Many also require an approved airfield.

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am covered overseas with Tricare for Life - I pay 20% of whatever up to a $3K cap.    They will cover evacuation but you have to pay up front and seek reimbursement.    While shopping around I came across a policy by Travelex called Flight Insure Plus -  Details attached - which provides $10 K of medical and $100 K of evacuation.     Price $78 

I don't need trip cancel insurance - but these guys say they would pay for the evacuation up front - which would be nice. 

Am I missing something?

I looked quickly at the policy and I cannot find anything that says they will pay up front for evacuation.  Can you point out the page and section you are referring to?

Here are the only things I see, that might give you that impression:

There is an Advance Payment section (page 3 of 13 and again on page 2 of 5).  This applies to Medical Expenses, not Emergency Evacuation.

I also saw the following on page 9 of 12 and page 11 of 13:

Medical Expense and Emergency Evacuation benefits may be payable directly to the provider. However, the provider: (a) must comply with the statutory provision for direct payment; and (b) must not have been paid from any other sources.

This does not talk about advance payment.  So if the provider complies with (a), and the provider is willing to send a bill, than you won't have to file for reimbursement. That said, you always hear stories about situations where the provider demands up front payment.  Might the provider work with the insurance company and accept their promise to pay?  Maybe.  Might the insurance company wire the money up front?  Maybe?  But I would not count on either of these happening.

Was there another section that I overlooked?

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

I looked quickly at the policy and I cannot find anything that says they will pay up front for evacuation.  Can you point out the page and section you are referring to?

Here are the only things I see, that might give you that impression:

There is an Advance Payment section (page 3 of 13 and again on page 2 of 5).  This applies to Medical Expenses, not Emergency Evacuation.

I also saw the following on page 9 of 12 and page 11 of 13):

Medical Expense and Emergency Evacuation benefits may be payable directly to the provider. However, the provider: (a) must comply with the statutory provision for direct payment; and (b) must not have been paid from any other sources.

This does not talk about advance payment.  So if the provider complies with (a), and the provider is willing to send a bill, than you won't have to file for reimbursement. That said, you always hear stories about situations where the provider demands up front payment.  Might the provider work with the insurance company and accept their promise to pay?  Maybe.  Might the insurance company wire the money up front?  Maybe?  But I would not count on either of these happening.

Was there another section that I overlooked?

No - after further reflection - I see it the same way now.   I am now looking at MedJet Horizon or GeoBlue

I was reading this story - and now realize the benefit of having someone who can front the money for an evac if your credit cards don't work or are not accepted - like in this case.  

It would be nice to be able to call Med Jet or Geo Blue and have them find a way to get  Zimbabwe $20K rather than have your friends have to wire the money.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

I did see language that stated payment for medical and evacuation services would be made to providers if they complied with terms of the policy and had not been paid by others. Specifically, advanced payment could be arranged for hospital admission, but evacuation says “pay” rather than “reimburse.” 

I’m not sure if that means they will pay directly because there is the issue of your other health coverage. Which is primary? TriCare may operate under different rules than private insurance.

Also, the issue of pre-existing conditions is a concern. This policy does not cover pre-existing conditions that occur within 180 days. That is an unusually long look-back period. I did not find language that defines how to obtain a waiver.

I think a phone call is in order.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

I did see language that stated payment for medical and evacuation services would be made to providers if they complied with terms of the policy and had not been paid by others. Specifically, advanced payment could be arranged for hospital admission, but evacuation says “pay” rather than “reimburse.” 

I’m not sure if that means they will pay directly because there is the issue of your other health coverage. Which is primary? TriCare may operate under different rules than private insurance.

Also, the issue of pre-existing conditions is a concern. This policy does not cover pre-existing conditions that occur within 180 days. That is an unusually long look-back period. I did not find language that defines how to obtain a waiver.

I think a phone call is in order.

Tricare for Life  is secondary to Medicare in USA and primary outside USA.    My main concern was after reading the post from @rimmit in Zimbawee (see below) whose wife was hit by a car - and he had to come up with CASH pronto, on a weekend.    Even Medjet cash advance plan says M-F only......

I am  looking for some company that you could call from Zimbabwee and count on them to get the evac paid for if your credit card doesn't work like in his case,

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Haven’t read your policy but here’s what I know about most.

What is the definition of “Evacuation” and from where to where?

Evac from ship to shore? Usually free.

From a shoreside facility to a shoreside facility that can better provided life saving measures required? Yes, Pricey

From a shoreside facility to a facility of your choice for continued care? Usually has many requirements, to include but not limited to Patient stability, approval of receiving Dr, approval of discharging Dr., approval of insurance company.

Many also have the requirement that the patient be listed as an “inpatient status” at an approved “Hospital” not a clinic. Many also require an approved airfield.

Thanks - the nightmare scenario is what @rimmit describes here below and I am looking for ways to mitigate this without having to rely on friends being able to wire $20K to Zimbabwe on a weekend.

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Tricare for Life  is secondary to Medicare in USA and primary outside USA.    My main concern was after reading the post from @rimmit in Zimbawee (see below) whose wife was hit by a car - and he had to come up with CASH pronto, on a weekend.    Even Medjet cash advance plan says M-F only......

I am  looking for some company that you could call from Zimbabwee and count on them to get the evac paid for if your credit card doesn't work like in his case,

In that case, the policy in question is the least likely to meet your needs. If MedJet can’t get to you, then you need Seal Team 6. 

I think the lesson of the rimmit post is that sometimes the unthinkable happens in spite of your best efforts. Unless you are willing to travel with wads of cash when you go to exotic locations, there is only so much you can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

In that case, the policy in question is the least likely to meet your needs. If MedJet can’t get to you, then you need Seal Team 6. 

I think the lesson of the rimmit post is that sometimes the unthinkable happens in spite of your best efforts. Unless you are willing to travel with wads of cash when you go to exotic locations, there is only so much you can do.

I believe you are correct. Very unique situation.

The only thing that could have possibly helped ( not resolved, but helped) would have been a Sat Phone. ( Or, now that they are available would be an IPhone 14 which has emergency Sat Phone capabilities)

• Like 1

The reality is that nightmare scenarios do happen, are rare, and are truly horrifying when you are the folks involved.   There is no insurance that can take the place of a calm, cool, and collected brain and some luck!  We have been there, done that, and survived.  When we had our own medical emergency (which started in Vietnam) I later thought that we had "trained" with over 50+ years of extensive travel to think ourselves through a crisis.  In our case, the insurance company (GeoBlue) was helpful, but we still needed to rely on ourselves and our ability to reason and find solutions.  And, in our case, a simple thing like a working Smartphone was a critical piece in working out a solution.  I am still amazed at how many folks (especially on the HAL blog) do not understand how important a working smartphone has become to international travel.  

While decent insurance can be a real lifeline, in the final analysis there needs to be somebody who is able to think clearly and find solutions.  That is just the reality of travel and life.  While it is nice if you have somebody, local, who can help, in the final analysis much may depend on the traveler (or their partner) to find and implement solutions.  Decent insurance sure helps with piece of mind, but is generally not a replacement for a cool head at the scene.

Hank

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The reality is that nightmare scenarios do happen, are rare, and are truly horrifying when you are the folks involved.   There is no insurance that can take the place of a calm, cool, and collected brain and some luck!  We have been there, done that, and survived.  When we had our own medical emergency (which started in Vietnam) I later thought that we had "trained" with over 50+ years of extensive travel to think ourselves through a crisis.  In our case, the insurance company (GeoBlue) was helpful, but we still needed to rely on ourselves and our ability to reason and find solutions.  And, in our case, a simple thing like a working Smartphone was a critical piece in working out a solution.  I am still amazed at how many folks (especially on the HAL blog) do not understand how important a working smartphone has become to international travel.  

While decent insurance can be a real lifeline, in the final analysis there needs to be somebody who is able to think clearly and find solutions.  That is just the reality of travel and life.  While it is nice if you have somebody, local, who can help, in the final analysis much may depend on the traveler (or their partner) to find and implement solutions.  Decent insurance sure helps with piece of mind, but is generally not a replacement for a cool head at the scene.

Hank

Great insight - In addition having the phone - getting experience using it before you are in a stressful insurance to call and send texts will be money well spent if you find yourself if extremis.    Also get and learn Google Translate - and Uber.   You want maximum options if you find yourself in a strange place on your own.  

On 9/11/2022 at 2:18 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Am I missing something?   

Flight_Insure_Plus_Policy_FIPB-1117_CA.pdf 2.38 MB · 7 downloads

Hi The-Inside-Cabin,

I sell the Flight Insure Plus, but I wouldn't use the Flight Insure Plus for a medical & evac plan. If you travel often. you're better off with the Geo Blue Trekker (Multi-Trip) Essential or Choice plan for your trips outside the USA that aren't longer than 70 days for any one trip. The Essential and Choice plans covers pre-existing conditions.

You may see all the Geo Blue Trekker plan details here:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/

Steve Dasseos

41 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi The-Inside-Cabin,

I sell the Flight Insure Plus, but I wouldn't use the Flight Insure Plus for a medical & evac plan. If you travel often. you're better off with the Geo Blue Trekker (Multi-Trip) Essential or Choice plan for your trips outside the USA that aren't longer than 70 days for any one trip. The Essential and Choice plans covers pre-existing conditions.

You may see all the Geo Blue Trekker plan details here:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve,   appreciate your insight.

I have two world cruises scheduled in 2023 and 2024 - each over 120 days - so I need something for more than 70 days.

I have been looking at flight insure plus - very inexpensive - but covers evac for reimbursement.  

MedJet -  claims to offer an experience where you call them and they arrange for the evac and deal with the evac company that may demand upfront payment and won't take credit cards.   They told me they will wire money or whatever is necessary and I won't have to get involved.    

From what I gather, other travel insurance will only reimburse after the fact but you have to figure out the evacuation yourself and convince the evac company to accept a payment guarantee.

The scenario I was thinking about was the one posted by @redditt where he was faced with evac companies that demanded up front payment and wouldn't take credit cards.    MedJet told me over the phone that they would have been able to deal with that situation.