14 Day HAL Alaska Cruise ?

mcrcruiser

At one time HAL was doing a 14 day  Alaska cruise ;which included Kodiak Island &  Valdez    & Anchorage   .Does any one know if HAL will go back to doing that cruise in the future  . We have been to Alaska 5 times   but missed taking that one cruise ;which seems to be a  more inclusive  cruise for Alaska 

Edited by mcrcruiser

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

At one time HAL was doing a 14 day  Alaska cruise ;which included Kodiak Island &  Valdez    & Anchorage   .Does any one know if HAL will go back to doing that cruise in the future  . We have been to Alaska 5 times   but missed taking that one cruise ;which seems to be a  more inclusive  cruise for Alaska 

Nieuw Amsterdam is doing that cruise right now. They just left Vancouver yesterday.  My SIL and BIL are on that cruise and they sent me their itinerary.

• Like 1

It's on the HAL website: Nieuw Amsterdam in May and Noordam in September. Identical ports as follows.

Vancouver, B.C., CA
Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage
Day At Sea
Kodiak, Alaska, US
Anchorage, Alaska, US
Day At Sea
Valdez, Alaska, USA
Day At Sea
Glacier Bay
Skagway, Alaska, US
Sitka, Alaska, US
Ketchikan, Alaska, US
Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada
Day At Sea
Vancouver, B.C., CA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

It's on the HAL website: Nieuw Amsterdam in May and Noordam in September. Identical ports as follows.

Vancouver, B.C., CA
Day At Sea
Kodiak, Alaska, US
Anchorage, Alaska, US
Day At Sea
Valdez, Alaska, USA
Day At Sea
Glacier Bay
Skagway, Alaska, US
Sitka, Alaska, US
Ketchikan, Alaska, US
Day At Sea
Vancouver, B.C., CA

The stop in Prince Rupert replaces Victoria, I guess.  I’ve been to both and Victoria would be my choice.  There are lots of things to see and do in Victoria and it’s beautiful just to walk to the inner harbor.  Prince Rupert definitely does not have the charm or the variety of experiences.  We took an excursion looking for bears along the shore.  Didn’t see any.

7 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The stop in Prince Rupert replaces Victoria, I guess.  I’ve been to both and Victoria would be my choice.  There are lots of things to see and do in Victoria and it’s beautiful just to walk to the inner harbor.  Prince Rupert definitely does not have the charm or the variety of experiences.  We took an excursion looking for bears along the shore.  Didn’t see any.

Yes, I'm glad our 14-day AK Explorer (R/T Seattle, 2018) had a long stop in Victoria. We rented two cars and drove ourselves to Butchart Gardens and had time to REALLY see the grounds, eat, and shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JudithLynne said:

We are loving that this cruise has returned.  We have completed three 14 day Alaska cruises with HAL and have loved each one. 

We are hoping that HAL will offer it in 2024 so we can be onboard for our 50th anniversary.

That is one on our bucket list as well in 2024.  Do you recommend the one in May or the one in September? 

2 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

That is one on our bucket list as well in 2024.  Do you recommend the one in May or the one in September? 

May would be best for weather (snow in mountains), longer days.  September will generally have rougher seas and some shops, activities will have closed at the end of the season.  Rain can happen anytime.  I want HAL to offer it repeatedly from May to September.  I prefer to sail in June.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:41 AM, crystalspin said:

Vancouver, B.C., CA
Day At Sea
Kodiak, Alaska, US
Anchorage, Alaska, US
Day At Sea
Valdez, Alaska, USA
Day At Sea
Glacier Bay
Skagway, Alaska, US
Sitka, Alaska, US
Ketchikan, Alaska, US
Day At Sea
Vancouver, B.C., CA

This is a different itinerary that the Amsterdam offered when I sailed on her, but, it is a good one.  Prince Rupert, Valdez, Kodiak:  not often visited.  Only Kodiak is the one of the three that I have visited and it was worth it.  A small Alaskan community so different from those on the Inside Passage; enjoyed a Russian Tea in a small home/facility that was much more than what I would have expected as a "Tea".  A local small musical group provided Russian music as a background.  A very good experience.  

33 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

We concur with oaktreerb, May is one of the best months to cruise Alaska and we have completed 15 Alaska cruises so have some knowledge.  

Thank you - wish they would do this one all year long I think they would have a lot of people interested in visiting these types of ports - the one they discontinued sounds fabulous.

23 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Thank you - wish they would do this one all year long I think they would have a lot of people interested in visiting these types of ports - the one they discontinued sounds fabulous.

A 14 day Winter cruise in Alaska would not please most.  I have visited Alaska during Christmas.  It is beautiful!  But, it is cold.  It is windy.  Christmas Day in Anchorage had a minus 16 degree wind chill.  At sea?  I can only imagine!  

37 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A 14 day Winter cruise in Alaska would not please most.  I have visited Alaska during Christmas.  It is beautiful!  But, it is cold.  It is windy.  Christmas Day in Anchorage had a minus 16 degree wind chill.  At sea?  I can only imagine!  

37 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Oops meant all season long from May through October 🙂 

• Like 2