Zuiderdam - upgrade to Neptune - what to expect or wishful thinking?

SFCanuck

I am due to embark on the September 14, 2022, 7 day Alaskan Inside Passage.

This is my first HAL cruise, which I booked in a confirmed VA category cabin. (Also traveling for the first time in the Covid-era).

Without any prompting from me, I've gone from a VA to an SY and just a couple hours ago, now an NS cabin.

From the limited search I did, it appears to be an aft wrap around balcony. Do I just enjoy the extra space, both inside and out, or does this include other perks?

• Like 3

@SFCanuck

You will not get the additional Suite Bonus Mariner point-per-day. Have to buy a suite at "rack rate" for that.

Someone can correct me, but I think the Zuiderdam does not have a separate Orange Club dining room but rather a roped-off area with assigned servers and the additional entree per dinner menu. Neptune guests are included in Orange Club automatically.

• Like 1

We leave on Saturday for Alaska, round trip from Seattle on the Eurodam. Be sure to bring warm clothes and prepare for rain. Do search out the Neptune Lounge shortly after you board. The two suite hosts there are amazing and can help with any questions you have, and usually host a welcome reception the first evening for all suite guests in the lounge. 

• Like 1

@SFCanuck

There are a few YouTube videos of corner Neptunes on Zuidy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QPMVvdKeE  (just the balcony)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx1rsPm7wy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqF84u7b8k

You can compare on deck plans to determine if the video is "like yours" or the mirror image.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

@SFCanuck

You will not get the additional Suite Bonus Mariner point-per-day. Have to buy a suite at "rack rate" for that.

Someone can correct me, but I think the Zuiderdam does not have a separate Orange Club dining room but rather a roped-off area with assigned servers and the additional entree per dinner menu. Neptune guests are included in Orange Club automatically.

Thank you for this. I'm new to HAL and not familiar with these terms but will do some homework 🙂

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

@SFCanuck

There are a few YouTube videos of corner Neptunes on Zuidy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QPMVvdKeE  (just the balcony)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx1rsPm7wy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqF84u7b8k

You can compare on deck plans to determine if the video is "like yours" or the mirror image.

The first one is the actual cabin I've been assigned, and the other two are opposite side, different decks 🙂

Thank you again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

@SFCanuck

Correct, no separate club orange.  

You do need to read up on what to expect being in a Neptune, especially since you are in an aft-wrap on deck 4.  WHile the cabin stewards are normally very good on HAL, when you are in an aft-wrap they sometimes forget that you get all the Neptune perks (they normally only have one or two Neptunes in their area).  We have experienced not getting notices about special Neptune events (such as the welcome reception), etc. when in these cabins.  So again, be sure to read up on what you should be getting and do not be afraid to ask the Neptune concierges if you have questions.

Having said that, the aft-wraps IMO are great for an Alaska cruise - you really get to experience alot of the Alaska scenery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations!  Here are the suite perqs to expect:  SUITE AMENITIES

I agree with @DaveOKC in that the room stewards are less likely to be aware of, or pay attention to, the amenities available when you are not near the lounge.  A word to the Concierges is always a way to improve service.

There will be a bottle of fake champagne in your stateroom upon arrival.  It is horrible.  You can ask the Concierge if you can trade it in for a bottle of red or white wine, or a non-alcoholic beverage.  Last week they said it wasn’t a problem but others have had different responses.

There was real champagne available in the lounge right after boarding our cruise last week.  It’s a good time to visit and ask questions.  There should be an evening reception invitation in your room.  If not, just ask the concierges.

Definitely take advantage of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill each morning.

When boarding, make sure you let them know you are a Neptune Suite passenger in case they don’t notice.  You will be seated in a separate area to be among the first to board.  Have a wonderful trip!

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

@SFCanuck

Just a note of clarification:  The suite bonus is applicable if the advertised price for a suite is equal to or less than the original purchase price.  @SFCanuck, check the current pricing for your sailing on the HAL site and take a screen shot if you paid more than what is currently advertised.  We’ll let you know what to do next if it’s applicable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, boulders said:

I was upsold to a Neptune years ago. You won't get the free laundry or the double points as someone else mentioned. You have to pay the advertised rate for a Neptune for those perks. 

You will definitely get free laundry.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Congratulations!  Here are the suite perqs to expect:  SUITE AMENITIES

I agree with @DaveOKC in that the room stewards are less likely to be aware of, or pay attention to, the amenities available when you are not near the lounge.  A word to the Concierges is always a way to improve service.

There will be a bottle of fake champagne in your stateroom upon arrival.  It is horrible.  You can ask the Concierge if you can trade it in for a bottle of red or white wine, or a non-alcoholic beverage.  Last week they said it wasn’t a problem but others have had different responses.

There was real champagne available in the lounge right after boarding our cruise last week.  It’s a good time to visit and ask questions.  There should be an evening reception invitation in your room.  If not, just ask the concierges.

Definitely take advantage of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill each morning.

When boarding, make sure you let them know you are a Neptune Suite passenger in case they don’t notice.  You will be seated in a separate area to be among the first to board.  Have a wonderful trip!

Just a note of clarification:  The suite bonus is applicable if the advertised price for a suite is equal to or less than the original purchase price.  @SFCanuck, check the current pricing for your sailing on the HAL site and take a screen shot if you paid more than what is currently advertised.  We’ll let you know what to do next if it’s applicable.

Thank you for this. *printing this out to use as a checklist*. 

As I'm scheduled to board this time tomorrow, my specific cruise isn't listed on the HAL website anymore. Even the following week's cruise shows all categories sold out except Inside cabins. In all honesty, if all I end up receiving is a glass of champagne and have an outfit "pressed", I'll be a happy camper, no pun intended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boulders said:

I was upsold to a Neptune years ago. You won't get the free laundry or the double points as someone else mentioned. You have to pay the advertised rate for a Neptune for those perks. 

We have taken at least a dozen upsells to Neptunes in the past and ALWAYS have gotten free laundry along with all the other Neptune perks, including Pinnacle breakfasts, welcome cocktail party, etc.

• Like 2

We were just on this ship last month in a Neptune via an upsell and got the free laundry and other perks.  Having sailed in Neptune Suites many times, the aft wrap is far and away my favorite. We on deck 5. You will enjoy the experience.

At Glacier Bay, after a trip to the bow for a while, we just sat on or veranda as the Captain spun the ship 360 degrees and got a great, unobstructed view,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I understand "bad" champagne, but what is "fake" champagne?  Although I  hate to admit it, I have always managed to consumer the "welcome" champagne provided in the NS's.  Blame that on the "we are finally here" moment!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tampa Girl said:

I understand "bad" champagne, but what is "fake" champagne?  Although I  hate to admit it, I have always managed to consumer the "welcome" champagne provided in the NS's.  Blame that on the "we are finally here" moment!  

It's not fake. It's sparkling wine.

23 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@*Miss G*, the sparkling wine in the room is usually the same sparkling wine that is being poured in the Neptune Lounge the first night.

21 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It's not fake. It's sparkling wine.

See THIS POST.  It is labeled as California Champagne but we all know it’s not actually from Champagne.  Ergo, fake.  The champagne in the lounge was the kind we used to receive in the Neptune Suites.  It was actually from the Champagne region of France; not California.

7FD1729B-621B-4CE7-880A-E1389ADD398B.thumb.jpeg.d03168dc2c7dfc8fb78a731fc497acdd.jpeg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

See THIS POST.  It is labeled as California Champagne but we all know it’s not actually from Champagne.  Ergo, fake.  The champagne in the lounge was the kind we used to receive in the Neptune Suites.  It was actually from the Champagne region of France; not California.

7FD1729B-621B-4CE7-880A-E1389ADD398B.thumb.jpeg.d03168dc2c7dfc8fb78a731fc497acdd.jpeg

Ah, California Champagne is a select group of producers in California who won a legal right to call their product " California Champagne ", because,  a) they produce their champagne the same way those in France do, and b) did so prior to the declaration that only champagne produced in Champagne can be called Champagne.  This includes the largest producer in the world, Korbel.

Methinks there is some champagne snobbery is going on here.

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ah, California Champagne is a select group of producers in California who won a legal right to call their product " California Champagne ", because,  a) they produce their champagne the same way those in France do, and b) did so prior to the declaration that only champagne produced in Champagne can be called Champagne.  This includes the largest producer in the world, Korbel.

Methinks there is some champagne snobbery is going on here.

I like sparkling wine.  I have had good and bad sparkling wine.  Wycliff’s California Champagne is, hands-down, the worst sparkling wine I have ever had in my life.  Sparkling?  No.  It was flat.  Snobbery?  No.  I like sparkling wine.  Disgruntled?  Yes.  Don’t replace decent sparkling wine with garbage.

• Like 1