Pillows

Hobson1754

We are going on our first Viking cruise in less than 2 weeks and I usually take my Tempur pillow with me (I know I’m a little anal)😂 - my question is would I be able to get a memory foam (or similar) pillow whilst on board? On a previous Celebrity cruise they had a pillow menu. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

We are going on our first Viking cruise in less than 2 weeks and I usually take my Tempur pillow with me (I know I’m a little anal)😂 - my question is would I be able to get a memory foam (or similar) pillow whilst on board? On a previous Celebrity cruise they had a pillow menu. Thanks.

I know you can request a different pillow but i don't know if they have memory foam.

@Hobson1754 If no one posts definitive info before you go, would you be willing to check out the memory foam pillow selection while onboard and report back?  I’m in the same boat, so to speak, but as we don’t cruise until February I’ve got lots of time to figure out if/what pillow to pack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

@Hobson1754 If no one posts definitive info before you go, would you be willing to check out the memory foam pillow selection while onboard and report back?  I’m in the same boat, so to speak, but as we don’t cruise until February I’ve got lots of time to figure out if/what pillow to pack.

Yes will do that - think I’m probably going to take my Tempur unless someone comes back with something more definitive, but will ask whilst on board.  Certainly worth knowing if Viking meets expectations and we want to cruise with them again.

• Like 2

Just now, OneSixtyToOne said:

In MVJ you can select stateroom preferences. Two options that might interest you are “Feather Allergy” and “Hypoallergenic Bedding.”  

Click on Onboard Experience > Preference > Stateroom Preferences 

Yes thanks for this - it’s more the firmness of the pillow rather than the content. I suppose it’s just what you get used to.

56 minutes ago, Berlin Bear said:

I like firm pillows too and on our Viking Jupiter cruise in March I asked for a neck pillow which looks just like the Tempur neck pillows. I even took it with me to my quarantine cabin 😅.

Excellent news, many thanks. The tempur neck pillow is exactly what I have.  It will save weight & so much space in my case if I don’t have to take it.😅😅

Edited by Hobson1754

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, bookbabe said:

Hi ‘bookbabe’ - we are now on our Viking Mars cruise and as promised I’m letting you know re Pillow situation.  Well I ‘bit the bullet’, took a risk and left my pillow at home🥲. When we boarded I asked for a memory foam neck pillow & they did provide a memory foam pillow but nothing like my Tempur shaped neck pillow - yes, should have listened to you Molymoo. Mine does weigh nearly 1 & half kilos and that was the issue in packing it for a cruise, but now regretting leaving it at home, however it isn’t the end of the world. This is our 1st Viking cruise & as I write this only Day 3 of 15 and so far loving it. It’s head & shoulders above other cruise lines we’ve been on. Pillow issue is only a very minor blot on the landscape. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Hi ‘bookbabe’ - we are now on our Viking Mars cruise and as promised I’m letting you know re Pillow situation.  Well I ‘bit the bullet’, took a risk and left my pillow at home🥲. When we boarded I asked for a memory foam neck pillow & they did provide a memory foam pillow but nothing like my Tempur shaped neck pillow - yes, should have listened to you Molymoo. Mine does weigh nearly 1 & half kilos and that was the issue in packing it for a cruise, but now regretting leaving it at home, however it isn’t the end of the world. This is our 1st Viking cruise & as I write this only Day 3 of 15 and so far loving it. It’s head & shoulders above other cruise lines we’ve been on. Pillow issue is only a very minor blot on the landscape. 

Thanks.  My pillow is a Casper, and flat rather than neck-shaped, so sounds like I should be okay.  As long as they’ve got some kind of firm memory foam pillow available, I can manage.  I just can’t do the overly-soft floppy regular pillows that seem to be the norm in the hospitality industry.  Thanks again for reporting back.

3 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Thanks.  My pillow is a Casper, and flat rather than neck-shaped, so sounds like I should be okay.  As long as they’ve got some kind of firm memory foam pillow available, I can manage.  I just can’t do the overly-soft floppy regular pillows that seem to be the norm in the hospitality industry.  Thanks again for reporting back.

Yes you should be fine - as previous contributors have stated staff bend over backwards to help you. Service is fantastic.😀😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes you should be fine - as previous contributors have stated staff bend over backwards to help you. Service is fantastic.😀😀

The staff do, indeed, bend over backward but are limited to what is available. Best advice is to bring your own pillow if you are at all fussy.

13 hours ago, Twitchly said:

We found Viking’s standard pillows to be quite flat. If that’s what you’re looking for, I think you’ll be pleased.

Flat and firm, or flat and floppy?  I’m hoping their memory foam ones will be okay, since they sound similar to what I use.  But do all ships have them?