Children's Dress Code ?

SAKay

Are kids allowed to wear shorts to the main Dining Rooms for dinner?  Boys aged 8 and 10.  How about on Formal nights or whatever it's called now ! 

I mean nice shorts and shirt, not athletic looking ones and T-shirts.  

Thanks for the info ! 🙂 

38 minutes ago, SAKay said:

Are kids allowed to wear shorts to the main Dining Rooms for dinner?  Boys aged 8 and 10.  How about on Formal nights or whatever it's called now ! 

Thanks for the info ! 🙂 

They will be fine in ‘nice’ shorts with a polo shirt. We’ve had absolutely no problem with our grandson aged 10 in Club dining or on formal nights.

Wow, one thread on shorts gets shut down and just 8 hours later, here is another. Must be a record.

So before this gets shut down...

Yes, it's still called Formal Night.

But if you read the Princess word on it, "...shorts...are not welcome in the dining room."

If you send your boys in shorts, possibly, they'll get in OK, or they'll be turned away, which would be OK if it happened to you or I as adults. But being 8 and 10, they will feel humiliated and embarassed having to go change. Do not risk that! They need to learn to dress for occasions. But for sure, they don't need a tie or jacket..

• Like 4

My kids have been cruising since they were small.  Since my daughters are identical twins, we are pretty used to people paying a little more attention to them.  Knowing this I always dress the kids up for dinner (and always practiced the table manners and behavior they had to have if they wanted to go on a cruise).  We also always tried to take advantage of the photography specials and take lots of pictures before dinners.  This worked well for us, and now my kids like dressing up for dinner and are comfortable with longer fancier dinners.  Now if you have kids that wear nice shorts to the MDR I'm betting no one would say anything.  Historically child formalware included dress shorts for boys until they became young men and graduated to long pants!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They are not going to send little boys away because they are wearing shorts.  Teenagers?  Maybe.  We used to dress the kids up in little suits so we could do pictures, but if one of them had on a suit with shorts and not long pants, I doubt anyone would care.  Little girls can wear shorts, why not little boys?

1 hour ago, SAKay said:

Thanks for the info ! 🙂 

No one can predict if the dress code will be enforced on any given ship on any given night. If eating in the MDR is important to you, I’d suggest having them at least follow the smart casual dress code of long pants and shirts with a collar each evening. Even adult men are not normally asked to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights so I wouldn’t be concerned about that if dressing up is an issue

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAKay said:

Thanks for the info ! 🙂 

Princess has unofficially relaxed their dress codes for everyone so there's no reason kids would be held to anything different.

Let them wear shorts & T shirt to every dinner and don't worry about it.  

On formal nights just a pair of any long pants with a dress shirt/Polo will suffice. 

Allow me to put on my grouch hat for a moment.  Unless the boys live in the South Pacific, they probably own long pants.  Is it going to kill them to wear long pants for 2 hours?  Frankly, I think a 10 year old would look very silly in shorts at night when everyone else is dressed in Smart Casual or Formal outfits.  At that age, he is probably taking pride in being recognized as, and called a "fine young man" and probably can't wait to shed the trappings of a little boy.  Sure, it might be cute to see a 3 or 4 year old in shorts.  But 10? Seems like a stretch. He'd be so much more dashing in long pants.

Boy Suspender Shorts  Navy Linen  Shorts Page Boy image 1

England Flower Boy Tuxedo Suit School Kids Holiday Boutique Outfit 2022 Boy  Clothes For 6 8 10 12 14 16 17 Year Old Rks194021 - Children's Sets -  AliExpress

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When we last cruised with our grandsons, age 6 and 4, they had attire similar to the above foto with long pants.    They both understood it was a special occasion.  Our 4-year-old, upon studying his appearance in the mirror, announced, "I'm a stud!"

Edited by Bemidji Ty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2