Is Carnival really going to….

TRAYSEE

10 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just googled schadenfreude. And it's pronunciation. Based on "envy" and how one derives pleasure from an envied person's misfortune.  Very interesting.

The German language is the best at (usually compound) words with no direct synonym in English!😁  "Harm-joy".  Gotta love it.😄

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

The German language is the best at (usually compound) words with no direct synonym in English!😁  "Harm-joy".  Gotta love it.😄

Quoting myself because it's too late to edit.  I'm word-geeking out, here!  I just found out there is an English synonym for schadenfreude :

epicaricacy (uncountable) (rare) Rejoicing at or deriving pleasure from the misfortunes of others.

I just learned a new word today!  I love it when that happens!😁

Yeah, I'm a dork.  I own it.  I'm OK with it.😎

(I still like schadenfreude better, though)

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I laughed so hard at a video about how the German language sounds so different from other languages for the same words.  "Butterfly" in French, Italian, English and then German. 

The actors in it were very funny. My favorite word example was "ambulance". 🤣

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I laughed so hard at a video about how the German language sounds so different from other languages for the same words.  "Butterfly" in French, Italian, English and then German.  The actors in it were very funny. My favorite word example was "ambulance". 🤣

Schmetterling is butterfly, I remember that one, but ambulance I can't remember.  (Several years of German, several years ago, forgotten most of it).

Among many others, I've always liked Scheinwerfer (headlight), and Schildkrote (turtle - literally "shield creature") (don't know how to make my keyboard type an umlaut).  I'm really OT wordgeeking.  I'll shut up now.🤭

Edited by ShakyBeef
forgot to captialize my German nouns
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I laughed so hard at a video about how the German language sounds so different from other languages for the same words.  "Butterfly" in French, Italian, English and then German. 

The actors in it were very funny. My favorite word example was "ambulance". 🤣

OK, that was hilarious!  Thanks for sharing!  How could I have forgotten Krankenwagon (sick-wagon)!?  I know it was done for the sake of comedy, and it worked, but the German was being over-pronounced/slightly mispronounced.  But it sure made a point.  Not the most beautiful language, but I still love it.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

OK, that was hilarious!  Thanks for sharing!  How could I have forgotten Krankenwagon (sick-wagon)!?  I know it was done for the sake of comedy, and it worked, but the German was being over-pronounced/slightly mispronounced.  But it sure made a point.  Not the most beautiful language, but I still love it.🙂

Plus I loved the over-the-top costumes and facial expressions.  Just a total comedic take.  Glad you enjoyed it😊

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ray98 said:

It is still puzzling some seem to gloat over the fact Carnival is now choosing to charge for room service.

Some people will ignore facts and defy rationality to defend Carnival at every opportunity.  As I mentioned, room service is a high cost service that’s been dropped from most domestic hotels (that were charging hefty fees to begin with) as well as all-inclusive resorts as an included option.  But that’s irreverent, because very few Carnival guests ordered it to begin with, despite a sea of trays outside rooms and 2+ hour waits during peak meal time.  Carnival simply made a move that impacts a few passengers because they care about food waste.  Change is good!  Meanwhile, on the Lido deck….

When Carnival adds its next surcharge - I’ll bet it’ll be for Guy’s Burgers - I will love the reaction.  By charging a $15 cover charge that’s equal to a meal at most premium burger joints, Carnival is doing its guest a favor as it can reinstate classic Guy’s fries, unlimited bacon and reduce food waste!  Change is good!

Edited by Itried4498
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

When Carnival adds its next surcharge - I’ll bet it’ll be for Guy’s Burgers - I will love the reaction.  By charging a $15 cover charge that’s equal to a meal at most premium burger joints, Carnival is doing its guest a favor as it can reinstate classic Guy’s fries, unlimited bacon and reduce food waste!  Change is good!

If this one happens, I will personally grab one of the sky is falling pitchforks. This won't happen. 

Most times a company cuts a something, it has a low utilization and/or has a disproportionately higher cost. They've created a model with Guy's that is very popular and is able to be mass-produced. 

35 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If this one happens, I will personally grab one of the sky is falling pitchforks. This won't happen. 

Most times a company cuts a something, it has a low utilization and/or has a disproportionately higher cost. They've created a model with Guy's that is very popular and is able to be mass-produced. 

That’s limiting — businesses will generally make whatever moves that will maximize profit.  10 years ago, we stayed for 5 midweek nights at the Plaza Las Vegas for less than $30 all-in; today, resort fees guarantee we will pay at least $300.  Resort fees aren’t popular, but were embraced by the industry, leaving consumers few alternatives.

Likewise,  RCL charges $15 for Johnny Rockets (it’s Guy’s Burgers equivalent).  Adding a cover charge to Guy’s Burgers and other non-Lido/MDR options is an easy way to cut cost and increase revenues, and the direct completion is already doing it.  Guy’s was arguably necessary on the Fantasy class ships — space within the buffet was too limited — but are a luxury on other ships.

6 hours ago, ray98 said:

It is still puzzling some seem to gloat over the fact Carnival is now choosing to charge for room service.

I don't know about gloat, but what is puzzling is that continental breakfast continues to be included and most of the other room service dishes already had a charge. The change Carnival is making is relatively minor. Some don't seem to get that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know about gloat, but what is puzzling is that continental breakfast continues to be included and most of the other room service dishes already had a charge. The change Carnival is making is relatively minor. Some don't seem to get that.

RCL also offers a complimentary continental breakfast (with a nominal per stateroom charge for everything else).  We’ve gotten it once, and it was served out of a bag, likely prepared the night before (= low service cost).

It may be a minor change to you and others who’ve acknowledged you ordered room service, but to those of us who do, it’s not.

44 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The change Carnival is making is relatively minor. Some don't seem to get that.

Exactly! Certainly will be minor changes, nothing drastic at all.

Charges for items already exist. I think many don't get that as well, or they forgot that we're already paying.

20220925-182837.jpg

20220925-182854.jpg

59 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

That’s limiting — businesses will generally make whatever moves that will maximize profit.  10 years ago, we stayed for 5 midweek nights at the Plaza Las Vegas for less than $30 all-in; today, resort fees guarantee we will pay at least $300.  Resort fees aren’t popular, but were embraced by the industry, leaving consumers few alternatives.

Likewise,  RCL charges $15 for Johnny Rockets (it’s Guy’s Burgers equivalent).  Adding a cover charge to Guy’s Burgers and other non-Lido/MDR options is an easy way to cut cost and increase revenues, and the direct completion is already doing it.  Guy’s was arguably necessary on the Fantasy class ships — space within the buffet was too limited — but are a luxury on other ships.

And guess what? You can do a cruise for a price that was similar 10 years ago. 

By your logic, Carnival could charge for everything on the ship and make more profit. They aren't because that's not a good business model. Just the way that hotels don't charge for pillows. Carnival is clearly looking to retool room service as a premium service that people are willing to pay for. Big difference.

My next cruise will include all of the normal food venues I'm accustomed to. Yet Carnival also added street eats, big chicken, cucina, pig and anchor, and chibang as complementary options. This isn't about defending Carnival. It's about the crying about room service being borderline immature. 

31 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

RCL also offers a complimentary continental breakfast (with a nominal per stateroom charge for everything else).  We’ve gotten it once, and it was served out of a bag, likely prepared the night before (= low service cost).

It may be a minor change to you and others who’ve acknowledged you ordered room service, but to those of us who do, it’s not.

I guess you've never ordered french fries from room service or any of the numerous items that already have a price.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Exactly. Providing trays brings back one of costs they were looking to cut (collection of trays from rooms and hallways) and increases the likelihood of people bringing Lido plates back to their rooms (which in turn leads to more plates to clear from rooms and hallways).

If they're looking to increase sales of paid room service, they're certainly not going to cannibalize those sales by making it easier to bring back complimentary food from the Lido.

Simple.  Pack a tray from home.  It won't take up much room.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes, there is basis. It is the dish we most often order.

I was literally quoting your own response to someone else's similarly speculative post when Carnival is the only one with any actual factual data about the passenger behavior in question.  What's good for the goose...

But thanks for showing everyone that your opinion is the only correct one and your wants and needs are the only that Carnival need attempt to satisfy, in case anyone hadn't already figured that out.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ldrigant said:

Simple.  Pack a tray from home.  It won't take up much room.

Oh, no, no!  We shouldn't do that!  That would make us uncivilised tray smugglers!😮

"Fact is, a few people might smuggle trays or booze, but most are civilized and will pay for what they want."   - BlerkOne

"It is smuggling in the same sense that packing booze is smuggling. Neither is technically "illegal"."  - BlerkOne

Edited by ShakyBeef
punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I was literally quoting your own response to someone else's similarly speculative post when Carnival is the only one with any actual factual data about the passenger behavior in question.  What's good for the goose...

But thanks for showing everyone that your opinion is the only correct one and your wants and needs are the only that Carnival need attempt to satisfy, in case anyone hadn't already figured that out.

I already know the truth, but you are welcome to ask John Heald.

I am only following the example set by those complaining about a minor change to room service thinking their opinion is the only correct one.

What's good for the cooked goose...

This thread absolutely delights me and brings home a feeling of nostalgia. 

I have been away from Carnival Cruises since 2019– after 20 years and nearly 30 cruises.  The product just got nickled and dimed and cutback way too much.  It all started with the quality of the chocolate on the pillow going down, then when no one ate them anymore, the chocolates were eliminated.  

Then the ‘morning or afternoon’ service.  No more tablecloths.  Cutting back on staff at the pizzeria to create huge lines then charging for pizza delivery.  Charging for room service.  Less staff per passenger.

I can see that since we have left it hasn’t gotten better— it’s gotten worse.

Anyway was on my new cruise lines board tonight and was just wondering if the fights were still happening on CCL boards.  Thanks very much, y’all!  

you made my evening!

48 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Oh, no, no!  We shouldn't do that!  That would make us uncivilised tray smugglers!😮

"Fact is, a few people might smuggle trays or booze, but most are civilized and will pay for what they want."   - BlerkOne

"It is smuggling in the same sense that packing booze is smuggling. Neither is technically "illegal"."  - BlerkOne

Repeat as necessary.

Reading comprehension. Civilized people will pay for the few room services items that may be no longer included. It has nothing to do with tray smuggling.

4 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

As our tour guide in Bavaria said, "there is a reason why they don't play Scrabble in Germany".  😄

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Repeat as necessary.

Reading comprehension. Civilized people will pay for the few room services items that may be no longer included. It has nothing to do with tray smuggling.

You telling me about reading comprehension, and what "it" "has to do with", after your remarks above and failure to support said ridiculous remarks.  That's rich.  Thanks for the laughs, man.🤣