Sun searching

Just 47

1 minute ago, Just 47 said:

Hi we are tempted  to book on iona in March n for the canary  Islands cruise. Which side of the ship would be best to book for afternoon sun please?

Regardless of which side of the ship you choose you will only have afternoon sun either going  out or coming back.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Why? Do you not understand? Starboard out port home 🤔

You cannot book two different cabins for a cruise though, so what the OP is asking for is not possible on the journeys out and back.

It does sound a very strange question when traveling south for a cruise destination if there is a basic knowledge of maps, unless the OP is thinking of when the ships dock, but I am not sure there is any firm rule on that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Why? Do you not understand? Starboard out port home 🤔

No, I fully understand the acronym,  but I decided that my post was not very interesting,  so deleted it, so as to avoid wasting everyone's time. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It was (supposedly) POSH, but that was for going out to the East, and people in those days wanting the shady side of the ship.

Although "posh" actually derives from a term for a small coin.  The term was used long before the maritime association. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It was (supposedly) POSH, but that was for going out to the East, and people in those days wanting the shady side of the ship.

As the OP wants the sunny side of the ship, and the Canaries are SSW of the UK rather to the east, they'd be better off with POSH than with SOPH. Of course that presumes that they are willing to pay for two cabins - one of each side of the ship - and then move from one to the other mid-cruise. (I wonder if P&O would let someone do that?)

6 hours ago, tring said:

You cannot book two different cabins for a cruise though, so what the OP is asking for is not possible on the journeys out and back.

It does sound a very strange question when traveling south for a cruise destination if there is a basic knowledge of maps, unless the OP is thinking of when the ships dock, but I am not sure there is any firm rule on that.

It was a joke, not a serious suggestion!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Exactly, well off (posh) people could afford to avoid the hot side of the ship (before air con obviously)! 

31 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

As the OP wants the sunny side of the ship, and the Canaries are SSW of the UK rather to the east, they'd be better off with POSH than with SOPH. Of course that presumes that they are willing to pay for two cabins - one of each side of the ship - and then move from one to the other mid-cruise. (I wonder if P&O would let someone do that?)

Yes for the overall amount of sun, but the OP had asked for afternoon sun.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

I always thought that it was POSH - Port out Starboard home. People who could afford it became known as posh, and the Posh club was P&Os forerunner of the Portunas and Peninsular clubs.

No. Urban myth. Bacronym. (People retrofitting a phrase into a word).

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, I fully understand the acronym,  but I decided that my post was not very interesting,  so deleted it, so as to avoid wasting everyone's time. 

I was going to say the best side for sun is either outside, or top side., but thought better of it. 

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes for the overall amount of sun, but the OP had asked for afternoon sun.

Afternoon sun sailing to the Canaries in the winter months does not reach the starboard balconies until late afternoon. It's much better to have a port side balcony which gets the sun until about 2;00pm going south, and then more of the afternoon sun sailing back, as by then you sre mainly sailing due north.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Afternoon sun sailing to the Canaries in the winter months does not reach the starboard balconies until late afternoon. It's much better to have a port side balcony which gets the sun until about 2;00pm going south, and then more of the afternoon sun sailing back, as by then you sre mainly sailing due north.

Thank you for your helpful answer