Ibiza Questions

ajtraveler66

We--a group of four seniors--are hoping to do a Mediterranean cruise in April.  Ibiza is on the itinerary.  Is there plenty to see in the port area?  We don't have mobility issues, but we always like seeking out local restaurants with a local flare, and with a good view, if possible.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We hope to be on the NCL Star with a stop in Ibiza in April of 2023.  The boat is only there from 7am to 3pm, so we will not have a lot of time.  And obviously it will be too cool to consider serious beaching.

Any ideas for an early leisurely lunch?  Someplace near the port?   If it has a great beach view that would be perfect, but certainly not necessary.  I suppose we would be looking for tapas or possibly a paella (to provide local flair). 

Or it could be that we just take a stroll in the port area and just partake of our 'free' NCL food.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be at port in Ibiza in April of 2023.  One of the ship's excursions would take us to the Sant Antoni area on the other side of the island--where we would have time on our own.  Evidently there are good cafe`s, etc. in the area.

I have read in some posts that the island can be very noisy, but since this excursion is mid-day, perhaps that would not be the case. (We are 'young' senior citizens, and we can definitely do without loud and obnoxious behavior).

Your input on the matter is appreciated.  Recommendations encouraged if you think it's worth the time.  Feel free to offer suggestions on things to do NEAR the port as well.

San Antoni, probably more well known as San Antonio, clubbing capital of Ibiza(and possibly Europe)

IMHO(although i do not know for sure)  a much better option would be to take a taxi (you are four persons are you not?)  from the port to Ibiza Old Town/High Town, by all acounts a really attractive area to visit. Info and photos of which can be easily found online.

Have never actually been there but we know folks who have been and it does read and appear in photos to be the most attractive town on the island. Were we porting in /on Ibiza  it is where we ourselves would visit.

• Like 1

April tends to be low season (unless you will be there Easter week +/- 1 week 😉)

The old town of Ibiza is really a must see.  Narrow streets filled with cafes, restaurants (think freshly caught fish) and wonderful artisan shops full of all types of art and bric a brac (and clothes).

Over the years we have taken numerous holidays on the island and always made sure to visit the old town of Ibiza.  We always stayed on the South East coast area ( Santa Eulalia/Es Canar). We visited San Antonio once......enough said!

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Ibiza Questions
  • 2 weeks later...

Would like to just spend the day in Ibiza at a beach club.  The ship has this kind of tour, but it seems way over priced.  Does anyone know, is it fairly easy to get a taxi at the dock, head to one of the beach clubs, then get a taxi back to the ship in the afternoon?  Thanks!

18 hours ago, inactivemind said:

Would like to just spend the day in Ibiza at a beach club.  The ship has this kind of tour, but it seems way over priced.  Does anyone know, is it fairly easy to get a taxi at the dock, head to one of the beach clubs, then get a taxi back to the ship in the afternoon?  Thanks!

There were plenty of taxis at the port when we were there.

Would like to just spend the day in Ibiza at a beach club

Apologies, but it isn't exactly clear to others  if you are hoping to go to an actual all singing, all dancing  "beach club" as opposed to a nice  beach with facilities.

Ibiza is the clubbing capital of Europe and you might expect high end clubs with pricing to match, in addition to resident DJs and non stop dancing day and night, especially so  if you will be visiting any time in summer. Partygoers will rate a club not on the actual beach, but on the  celebrityDJ's (flown in specially) and the "vibes". LOL simply writing that makes me feel terribly old!!!

I suggest that to find the one which best suits you, you internet search something along the lines of "Ibiza beach clubs", and read descriptions of them followed by reviews to see which might appeal to you most and where it or they are located.  That would give you a starting point re transport options for the return to ship.

As an aside,when in her early 20's,  our daughter went to Ibiza for a week with 3 friends one summer hoping to enjoy beach clubs on a couple of their days. They knew it was expensive but hoped to stretch to two outings, either day or evening. Returned home very  disappointed.  They had not read up enough before they left home and once there, discovered that loungers etc had been pre-booked weeks or months in advance, some of the clubs had really expensive minimum spend rules and they were  simply too expensive for the girls who were low earners or students at the time. And the  evening/night clubs were also too expensive for them so their break didn't go as well as they had hoped.

Exhorbitant pricing for  food and drinks was how the clubs were described by the girls so the shorex may actually be a good deal.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks Carlmm & Edinburgher, really appreciate the advice!

Will be there next week on Virgin Voyages Valiant Lady, so I’m assuming mid/late October isn’t really peak season.  The beach club tour off the ship costs $250 & doesn’t include any food or drink, so I think that’s high.  I’m prepared for Ibiza to be expensive, & am willing to pay the going rate, but don’t want to get ripped off.  I’ve been to the beach clubs before on Mykonos & Thessaloniki, and they cost much less than that.  I guess what I’m looking for is a beach club with beach loungers, decent food & drink.  Doesn’t have to have the world’s greatest DJ. I’m too old to appreciate that!  LOL. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

so I’m assuming mid/late October isn’t really peak season.

It will be quieter for sure but the weather should still be pleasant enough although maybe a little mixed. You could check Ibiza October weather online.

Most summer activities around the Med will end around mid or late October.

I think it would be more helpful if you were to ask this queastion about the Virgin Valient Lady beach club shorex on the VIRGIN VOYAGES FORUM.  That way you may get replies from anyone who actually did that same trip.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/826-virgin-voyages/

Edited by edinburgher

We spent our time in port walking to the upper walled in town (Dalt Vila) and found it very interesting with great views down to the marina and the newer districts of the town. Ibiza Castle is located there.  On our return down, we strolled the cobblestone streets in the town/marina areas where you'll see yachts in the Mediterranean Sea, lots of restaurants, etc. We were there on a Sunday and it was very quiet and not all stores were open. 

• 1 year later...

Reading through these past threads have been very helpful, so I’m just posting a follow up Q as to how was your experience in Ibiza?

we will be on NCLGetaway this June, and ship docks in the afternoon 2 pm -10 pm so from above looks like it will be a peak season?
there aren’t any shored offered through the ship, and we just want to go to a quiet beach which will have bathroom facilities, clean water, and soft sand just for a couple of hrs and maybe walk in the old town definitely not clubbing or dancing, or anything loud music or hippie. I am hoping I can find something or even thinking about water taxi to any of the other beaches. On TripAdvisor found a couple of names Cala Comte, Cala Saledeta, anything one of you would recommend from experience? Thanks.

17 hours ago, Bluestar01 said:

we just want to go to a quiet beach which will have bathroom facilities, clean water, and soft sand just for a couple of hrs

Having already  looked at Tripadvisor, have you thought of googling something like "best beaches near Ibiza town" or similar?  This because, although tripadvisor will have reviews for beaches, internet search results may give distances and directions from the port, also descriptions of facilities available,  costs, and any recommended advance booking requirements.

Or  maybe even better, consider contacting the official Ibiza Tourist Information Office as staff there will be local and should be able to advise on beaches which meet your criteria and how to get there and back..