Main Dining Room Menus

JamieLogical

I had sworn off NCL a while ago and intended not to sail with them again, but got roped into a cheap cruise with my brother and his girlfriend. I haven't been keeping up with the NCL news and updates the way I used to, but I vaguely remember seeing/reading something about how NCL was going to have one MDR menu for every night of the cruise and just have a few different specials, instead of charging the menu daily. Has that plan already been implemented?

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I had sworn off NCL a while ago and intended not to sail with them again, but got roped into a cheap cruise with my brother and his girlfriend. I haven't been keeping up with the NCL news and updates the way I used to, but I vaguely remember seeing/reading something about how NCL was going to have one MDR menu for every night of the cruise and just have a few different specials, instead of charging the menu daily. Has that plan already been implemented?

Nice to see you back @JamieLogical!

The Prima seems to be the only ship currently with the "same" menu in the MDR, but it seems that they are otherwise heading that direction.

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It's on "trial" on the Prima and apparently fleetwide if popular.

"Popular" with guests or the accountants?

Okay. Hopefully it won't be implemented on the Breakaway in time for my Oct. 30 sailing. It sounds like a terrible idea to me. At least I have four specialty dining credits for this 7-day sailing, if they do implement it.

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Okay. Hopefully it won't be implemented on the Breakaway in time for my Oct. 30 sailing. It sounds like a terrible idea to me. At least I have four specialty dining credits for this 7-day sailing, if they do implement it.

If they do implement it, NCL stated it would be done so after Jan. 1, 2023...then again, NCL announced the Prima would be the first ship to have Coca-Cola onboard, which was a lie....I'm hoping for you that it's after 10/30! 

It was reported somewhere that they were testing it out on the Prima to see how people liked it before making a decision to implement fleetwide.

When I heard about it, both DH and I thought it was a bad idea and weren't very happy about it, as we really like the current MDR menus quite a bit.

However, we looked at the menu and thought that it was quite good.  We looked it over, with a view to seeing if we could find items in all the categories that we'd be interested in, spread over say 4 nights (as we've always got 4 specialties available, but usually only use 3).  No problem for us ... there were many good choices and options, and we thought it looked pretty good.  

We've had our minds changed on the issue!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

If they do implement it, NCL stated it would be done so after Jan. 1, 2023...then again, NCL announced the Prima would be the first ship to have Coca-Cola onboard, which was a lie....I'm hoping for you that it's after 10/30! 

I was very happy that on my recent trip on Breakaway (09-04 thru 09-11) they had already changed over to Diet Coke. To Jamie, I think that you will still have the rotating menu.

At first I thought the fixed menu was a terrible idea, but then I saw the new menu. It seemed to have a lot of good choices such as Beef Wellington, plus many choices of starters and pasta dishes. Though it did not have my favorite starter, lime dill shrimp with fingerling potatoes. They also have a daily special from one of the specialty restaurants (of course that comes with an upcharge).

On Breakaway I discovered what I consider to be a must try after dinner drink. I recommend going to Shakers martini bar for an excellent drink that the drink server suggested called a Rum Cake. Yum.

We have sailed three times in the last 8 months with NCL. On all ships the MDR menu was one section of 'Classics' which was the same everyday and one section of 'Specials' which changed every day. It was the same before covid.

As others have said, it may change in the future.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

After I looked at the Prima menu, my thinking was I could tolerate about 3 nights of that menu so already thinking if it gets implemented we'll need 4 nights of SD.

Highly doubtful it will be implemented for your Oct 30 cruise, but if it is your 4 nights will make it tolerable.

Aren't there supposed to be a few specials each evening, at least *something* different as a choice?  (I'm not sure about that.)

If so, sure, any one person isn't likely to find each evening's special to their taste, but it does, hopefully, allow an occasional evening when no specialty would be needed.

Does anyone have a copy of what the "standard issue menu" is like currently (on Prima?)?

Thanks!

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Aren't there supposed to be a few specials each evening, at least *something* different as a choice?  (I'm not sure about that.)

If so, sure, any one person isn't likely to find each evening's special to their taste, but it does, hopefully, allow an occasional evening when no specialty would be needed.

Does anyone have a copy of what the "standard issue menu" is like currently (on Prima?)?

Thanks!

GC

I have seen a video on YouTube that shows the menu.  It looks like there is one offering per night from one of the specialty restaurants.  The one on the menu was a $15 upcharge.  Not sure if that price would vary or not.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

We were on the breakaway a few weeks ago and it was the same ‘ole MDR menus. Our next cruise is on the Prima, so we’ll see if the one size fits all menus work. 

Edited by BirdTravels

While it looks a reasonable choice, I wont be touching the meat free section, the do your own pasta section or the speciality with a $15 upcharge so for me it's a limited choice which will not work on longer cruises.
Imagine doing a B2B with that 🙄

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I was wondering where you went.  Your expertise has been missed, particularly in the Upgrade plus thread.  In your view is Celebrity comparable or better to the old NCL? 

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Just wanted to say welcome back to the NCL boards!!!   Since we were interested in a Celebrity cruise a while ago, I have kept up with you there.

1 hour ago, mianmike said:

I was wondering where you went.  Your expertise has been missed, particularly in the Upgrade plus thread.  In your view is Celebrity comparable or better to the old NCL? 

Definitely MUCH prefer Celebrity. My most recent sailing to Alaska on the Solstice was my "worst" cruise experience (ports and itinerary were obviously amazing) and I would still take it over most of my NCL sailings. I have sailed on Celebrity seven times since the restart, both solo and with my husband and fully intend to keep sailing with them after a brief departure for our Panama Canal sailing on the Emerald Princess in December. Next Celebrity cruise is currently booked for May with my husband, but may try to sneak in another solo cruise in late February or early March.  Next cruise I will hit Elite, which is the Celebrity equivalent of Platinum already!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Definitely MUCH prefer Celebrity. My most recent sailing to Alaska on the Solstice was my "worst" cruise experience (ports and itinerary were obviously amazing) and I would still take it over most of my NCL sailings. I have sailed on Celebrity seven times since the restart, both solo and with my husband and fully intend to keep sailing with them after a brief departure for our Panama Canal sailing on the Emerald Princess in December. Next Celebrity cruise is currently booked for May with my husband, but may try to sneak in another solo cruise in late February or early March.  Next cruise I will hit Elite, which is the Celebrity equivalent of Platinum already!

Good to know.  NCL has pretty much priced us over to other cruise lines, but we do like the NCL product.  Since the restart we've achieved diamond on RCCL which we can status match over to Celebrity.  I guess we need to give Celebrity a try.   

People said to wait until the menu came out.  OK, now I've seen it and there's not enough variety for a 7 day cruise.  Most of the starters I select are not on there and unless I want pasta all the time there are not nearly the main course options over a week cruise.

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Jaime off topic but this was something you mentioned awhile back and could not find it….what were you using to help with prevention/recovery of a little too much adult beveraging ….THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

6 hours ago, kelib said:

Jaime off topic but this was something you mentioned awhile back and could not find it….what were you using to help with prevention/recovery of a little too much adult beveraging ….THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

I was using Rebound Patches, which no longer seem to be available. Used up the last of ours on our Alaska sailing. I am going to have to research alternatives. I also recommend Liquid IV for recovery. They are packets of powder you mix into a bottle of water.

Edit: Just checked Amazon and it looks like Rebound Patches are back!

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TominNC said:

People said to wait until the menu came out.  OK, now I've seen it and there's not enough variety for a 7 day cruise.  Most of the starters I select are not on there and unless I want pasta all the time there are not nearly the main course options over a week cruise.

Yeah, not enough variety for me as well.  Maybe for a 1 night cruise, lol

I imagine the chefs and cooks probably roll their eyes too as they keep cooking up the same thing night after night after night

There looks to be some decent stuff on the menu in the video, but certainly not enough to keep me happy for more than 2-3 nights. At least I am Platinum and end up with 4 specialty dinners on a 7-day sailing, but anything more than 7 days and that menu would get old fast! Meanwhile, Celebrity has four different dining rooms all serving different food on their newest ships....

• Like 1