Tipping on shore excursions

guytwell

Hello! I am planning a cruise to Alaska and the shore excursions I am interested in are very expensive. $549 for a helicopter ride and dogsled experience, $319 for a floatplane tour etc. How much should I tip? The dogsled tour involves a pilot and dogsled person, two different people. I usually travel to the caribbean and tip the tourguide $10 for a $50 busride and tour. Any suggestions from Alaska cruise veterans???

Thanks!

David

Edited by guytwell
left out a word

5 hours ago, guytwell said:

Hello! I am planning a cruise to Alaska and the shore excursions I am interested in are very expensive. $549 for a helicopter ride and dogsled experience, $319 for a floatplane tour etc. How much should I tip? The dogsled tour involves a pilot and dogsled person, two different people. I usually travel to the caribbean and tip the tourguide $10 for a $50 busride and tour. Any suggestions from Alaska cruise veterans???

Thanks!

David

Most importantly, hold the helicopter ride (for glaciers, not as exciting as it sounds) until you take that trip to Kauai and want to see the NaPali Coast (which is the KING of helicopter sightseeing - see pix).
Definitely do the float plane but make sure you do it in one of the few remaining Dehavilland Beavers before they’re all gone and make sure it includes at least an alpine lake “touch and go” (but preferably a landing as well). Skip the dogsled ride, you can do that in pretty much any State with snow. And set those savings aside for a flyover of the Nazca Lines In Peru see pic). 
As for tips, I know no one who has ever tipped a pilot (no matter how big or small the plane). And if that pilot feels slighted, that’s a discussion s/he should have with their boss.

FEBB19A3-9386-4918-944E-B924B5BAB809.jpeg

F72873AC-9BEE-47F2-88CB-8E9A92855CAE.jpeg

21DEF9F6-CF37-41DE-A401-0816A206CDEA.jpeg

9B80D17B-2AB2-416F-828E-BD0330545432.jpeg

A355B96E-0A19-4A37-8318-0CB36DA06E20.jpeg

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

10% to 20%...if gratuities are welcomed, you will see a small sign somewhere, usually on the shuttles.  When there are several people involved, tips are pooled.  

I agree, but normally wouldn't go much above $50 pp.  The Alaskans have had a very hard time during the virus disaster, so in this case I'd be very generous.  I am so happy to see my buddies at Icy Strait Point have made it through and are still a viable cruise stop. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

When there are several people involved, tips are pooled.  

I think this is usually true, but, when I am on a bus tour and the driver has had challenging/dangerous driving conditions, I "feel better" giving him a small tip as I leave the bus as well as giving the guide his/her tip.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I think this is usually true, but, when I am on a bus tour and the driver has had challenging/dangerous driving conditions, I "feel better" giving him a small tip as I leave the bus as well as giving the guide his/her tip.  

Since drivers are the last person you see, I think that is just when it occurs to people.

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I treat it just like a meal out. 10 to 20%, 25% if it was stunning.  We also think about the division like a restaurant too, so much for the server, so much for the bar.

The price of many excursions includes the cost of entry to attractions,  meals etc. Basing a gratuity on the excursion cost is therefore flawed.

We give a flat rate tip,  which we vary slightly depending on the quality of the tour guide.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The price of many excursions includes the cost of entry to attractions,  meals etc. Basing a gratuity on the excursion cost is therefore flawed.

We give a flat rate tip,  which we vary slightly depending on the quality of the tour guide.

You are likely right.  I try to avoid excursions with food and museums I usually do independently.  Adjustments must be made just as in a restaurant.  I don’t pay tips on taxes either. 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

You are likely right.  I try to avoid excursions with food and museums I usually do independently.  Adjustments must be made just as in a restaurant.  I don’t pay tips on taxes either. 

In general, your exclusions make sense - except that, for some antiquities/museums (e.g., the Coloseum in Rome and the Vatican Museum are best done with a good “cut the line” guide (who can also add so much to the experience). As for food, there are some ship tours that are in-depth food focused (including shopping/preparing/consuming local specialties) and, if done correctly (as may often be the case with cruise lines that are themselves food focused), they can be very unique and enjoyable.

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

In general, your exclusions make sense - except that, for some antiquities/museums (e.g., the Coloseum in Rome and the Vatican Museum are best done with a good “cut the line” guide (who can also add so much to the experience). As for food, there are some ship tours that are in-depth food focused (including shopping/preparing/consuming local specialties) and, if done correctly (as may often be the case with cruise lines that are themselves food focused), they can be very unique and enjoyable.

I don’t doubt that but not for me.  I was simply qualifying my method.