Post covid question. Can you leave the ship to explore the port after you checked in

jean87510

We are on the Voyager in December 2022.  We will probably embark early since we are flying in the day before and have to be out of our hotel by 10am.  Since our ship leaves at 830pm from San Juan, we wanted to go back out in the early afternoon as long as we are able to.  I have done this in the past pre covid in Barcelona and San Juan a few times and had a lot of fun.  So my only question is, is this allowed again or once we board, that's it, no going back outside?  This is a 5 day cruise.

Just now, highfields said:

I had to get the Captain's permission to leave the Grandeur, when we boarded in Baltimore, to drive back home and get an item that we needed for the cruise. It was not an automatic yes.

was this before the testing requirements lifted?

We, like you, have always boarded and then left the ship on San Juan embarkations due to the 2030 departure time.

I can't imagine any reason why, at this time, that would have changed.

Covid protocols are, for all intents and purposes, non existent.  People in San Juan for a port stop leave and return to the ship, so why would passengers on the embarking ships be any different?

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What times does the ship sail?  If it leaves in the evening then it may be OK.

We are on the Voyager in December 2022.  We will probably embark early since we are flying in the day before and have to be out of our hotel by 10am.  Since our ship leaves at 830pm from San Juan, we wanted to go back out in the early afternoon as long as we are able to.  I have done this in the past pre covid in Barcelona and San Juan a few times and had a lot of fun.  So my only question is, is this allowed again or once we board, that's it, no going back outside?  This is a 5 day cruise.

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We, like you, have always boarded and then left the ship on San Juan embarkations due to the 2030 departure time.

I can't imagine any reason why, at this time, that would have changed.

Covid protocols are, for all intents and purposes, non existent.  People in San Juan for a port stop leave and return to the ship, so why would passengers on the embarking ships be any different?

I agree.  I'm trying to see if anyone has done it post covid.  We are looking to possibly rent bikes and explore San Juan as we've done in the past.  I'd hate to set something up then have to cancel.  

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I agree.  I'm trying to see if anyone has done it post covid.  We are looking to possibly rent bikes and explore San Juan as we've done in the past.  I'd hate to set something up then have to cancel.  

You may want to go on roll calls for Explorer that was saying out of SJ earlier this year and ask if they were allowed to leave ship after check in.

In the past you would be allowed.   I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

I think explorer sailed out of SJ last winter into April, ask those roll calls.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You may want to go on roll calls for Explorer that was saying out of SJ earlier this year and ask if they were allowed to leave ship after check in.

In the past you would be allowed.   I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

I think explorer sailed out of SJ last winter into April, ask those roll calls.

that's a good idea but I think the more recent ones after October may be better as the rules were different last spring.  Thank you.

Several random thoughts -- I know, I really don't think like everyone else:  

- The question isn't, "Can I get off the ship?"  You're not a prisoner -- of course you can leave.  The real question is, "If I leave, can I re-board the ship?"  

- The terminal is crowded and somewhat chaotic.  I can't imagine wanting to navigate it twice.  

- I personally feel that once you've boarded, it's time to explore the ship, set up your room, and start your cruise!  If you want time in your port city, I'd suggest arriving a day or two early.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- The question isn't, "Can I get off the ship?"  You're not a prisoner -- of course you can leave.  The real question is, "If I leave, can I re-board the ship?"  

- The terminal is crowded and somewhat chaotic.  I can't imagine wanting to navigate it twice.  

- I personally feel that once you've boarded, it's time to explore the ship, set up your room, and start your cruise!  If you want time in your port city, I'd suggest arriving a day or two early.  

Thanks.  As I've stated, Ive done this in San Juan before.  And also as I stated, we arrive the day prior.  San Juan is a great place as was Barcelona to get back off and explore.  Plenty of time to wander the ship.  My question is for more recent post covid travelers.  

I did reach out to RCCL and 2 TA friends.  Apparently now with the protocol changes, yes this can be done.

All they need to do is drop luggage off, check in, than exit the building.  Don't even need to go on the ship. 

• Like 1

There is a completely different entrance for those that are already checked in and have left the ship; this us a unique set up for San Juan and other embarkation points with evening departures. There is no need to "navigate the terminal twice"

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Thanks 1