LA BISTRO- COVERED IN FREE DINING?

SWACK

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We just reserved Le Bistro for a cruise in October and our email to confirm states "You have selected à la carte specialty dining, charges for your selections will be added to your onboard account."

I have been on live chat and been told that the Dining Plan menu is different from the one on the app and online which shows prices beside each and every item.  Apparently the menu is only available on the ship!  

Confused................

13 minutes ago, LegalEagle2012 said:

Hi

We just reserved Le Bistro for a cruise in October and our email to confirm states "You have selected à la carte specialty dining, charges for your selections will be added to your onboard account."

I have been on live chat and been told that the Dining Plan menu is different from the one on the app and online which shows prices beside each and every item.  Apparently the menu is only available on the ship!  

Confused................

When you make a reservation online, the site doesn't know if you are planning to use one of your specialty dining credits or pay the menu prices, it is just a reservation for a table. Once you are onboard and actually go to your reservation, the host in the restaurant will ask you if you would like to use one of your specialty dining credits. If you would, then you will receive one entre and unlimited appetizers and desserts from the a la carte restaurants. Some of the specialty restaurants do have an upcharge for certain items (lobster) above what the specialty dining credit will cover. Those will be noted on the menu.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

When you make a reservation online, the site doesn't know if you are planning to use one of your specialty dining credits or pay the menu prices, it is just a reservation for a table. Once you are onboard and actually go to your reservation, the host in the restaurant will ask you if you would like to use one of your specialty dining credits. If you would, then you will receive one entre and unlimited appetizers and desserts from the a la carte restaurants. Some of the specialty restaurants do have an upcharge for certain items (lobster) above what the specialty dining credit will cover. Those will be noted on the menu.

Oh boy.  That explains a lot.  

I reserved 4 different specialties because every time I finished a booking, the price was Zero.

ha!

I better go back and have another looksie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LegalEagle2012 said:

Hi

Confused................

There is a lesson here. Don't confuse yourself by contacting NCL shoreside staff to ask questions.

There is just one menu for Le Bistro, and that shows prices for each item. Whether you are paying for your meal or using the dining plan then you will be given the same menu.

The only difference is that if you have the dining plan you will not actually have to pay those prices (unless you order two entrees or something with an uncharge).

Don't overthink this.

• Like 2

Thank you 

Not overthinking just referring to the email which stated that - 

"You have selected à la carte specialty dining, charges for your selections will be added to your onboard account."

Wanted clarification.  I have a transcript of the conversation.  But I agree, its not the first time I have been given totally  incorrect information in a Cruise line chat.

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have seen conflicting reports from people that say it is not unlimited appetizers, sides and desserts.  Only 1 of each when you use one of the specialty dining credits.   which is it?

2 minutes ago, hrmkr said:

I have seen conflicting reports from people that say it is not unlimited appetizers, sides and desserts.  Only 1 of each when you use one of the specialty dining credits.   which is it?

Its unlimited, but servers will often verbalize that you only get one of each.  Reports are, even after being told one of each, multiple items were not charged.  

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Its unlimited, but servers will often verbalize that you only get one of each.  Reports are, even after being told one of each, multiple items were not charged.  

This is true. Servers may tell you that there is a limit, but there is not. The only limit is one entre.

7 hours ago, hrmkr said:

You get 1 app, 1 soup or salad, one entree and 1 dessert. Anything else you will get charged. 

51 minutes ago, GaryWT said:

You get 1 app, 1 soup or salad, one entree and 1 dessert. Anything else you will get charged. 

That isn’t the case.

They sometimes tell people that (although not us for some reason), but if you were to order more apps or desserts then they don’t charge you.

Basically, the servers give incorrect information.

2 hours ago, GaryWT said:

2 hours ago, GaryWT said:

We were told before we were seated what we were allowed. 

Yes, lots of servers say that.  Next time you are using a Specialty Dining Plan meal,  try ordering an extra app/soup/salad.  You more than likely will not get charged, despite what the server may or may not say.  

(My understanding is, if you are using a Platinum meal, there is a limit.  I don't know for certain abut that because I am not one of those special people 😉 )

Edited by PATRLR

So we're down to, "go ahead, order it and lets see what we can get away with" type of advice?

lol

I want to be a fly on the wall when all the people in this thread told someone to just order whatever they want as long as it's not an entree because you won't get charged ...... when they finally get the bill and got charged.

That'll be a whole new thread when they get back.

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

So we're down to, "go ahead, order it and lets see what we can get away with" type of advice?

lol

I want to be a fly on the wall when all the people in this thread told someone to just order whatever they want as long as it's not an entree because you won't get charged ...... when they finally get the bill and got charged.

That'll be a whole new thread when they get back.

I have specifically asked on this board for any examples of people actually getting charged. I am yet to find a single person who has been, but there are many examples of people ordering multiples and not being charged.

This is certainly not a case of “what you can get away with”. The T&Cs specifically mention a limit on entrees, but no limit on other courses.

Personally, I have never actually been told about any restrictions on apps and desserts by any staff members, so I am just going on heresay that they ever do mention them.

This is a subject which has been discussed many times over the years since the dining package was introduced, and the actual situation regarding whether you can order multiple apps and desserts is very clear. You certainly can.

You are absolutely correct that the thread would be entertaining if someone took our advice and then got charged. We can only speculate though because despite this advice being given regularly for many years that thread has never been required.

Just to be totally clear though, I’m not advising anyone to do anything, just saying what the actual situation is regarding charging of these items.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

No, that is not what's happening if you keep the full context of the discussion in mind.  The correct advice was given and an alternative/wrong advice was also given.  In response to the wrong, as a way to convince the person they are wrong it was suggested to prove it to him/herself.

And as was stated, no one is trying to get away with anything. 

If people want to take an individual post out of the context of the full thread, well, that's on them and I'm certainly not going to worry about that.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Falckon said:

Why rely on someone's recollection of a cruise from a year ago. Read the current "Terms and Conditions". They have changed recently.

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions 

Those still just mention a limit on main courses. Nothing about appetizers, sides, or desserts.

• Like 1