COVID testing on a cruise to Canada

bumorgan

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Correct. We left Saint John last evening, sailed around past Yarmouth to within a few miles of Halifax, then the Staff Captain came on the PA around 10AM, in the cabins as well as the public areas, to say we were turning around and heading leisurely back to Brooklyn, arriving back on schedule on Saturday.  Four sea days instead of the scheduled one, on a ship with barely functional internet service

Are they giving you any compensation besides the return of the port fees?

2 minutes ago, LImom said:

No word on that yet.  We'll see what the promised letter says. So far, they have refunded the port fees for Newport and Bar Harbor, and the Halifax fee should be credited back sometime today.

It would be interesting to hear from folks in similar circumstances (significant ports missed) to get an idea of how Princess handles this.

• Like 1

Walgreens offers the following rapid test:

Rapid NAAT Test

• Results available within 2 hours
  • Meets most pre-travel testing requirements; check with your destination to verify

Is this what we need to have?

Their website also offers the following, but then says there isn't a location within 100 miles that has it:

Rapid Antigen Test

• Results available with 2 hours
  • Check with your destination to verify that this test meets pre-travel testing requirements
Edited by Steven_&_Daniel

On 9/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, lx200gps said:

Nobody asked for your test results because you uploaded them to the Princess app as part of your pre-cruise check-in process. Nobody asked for your ArriveCan code because you uploaded it to the Canadian government before embarkation.

In whittier alaska they wanted to see the proof of a negative test even through I uploaded it.  What a pain figuring where I saved it on my phone.

7 hours ago, gerig said:

In whittier alaska they wanted to see the proof of a negative test even through I uploaded it.  What a pain figuring where I saved it on my phone.

Quite possible. Different personnel may handle things differently in different ports at different times. In Brooklyn last week, Princess did not ask for any of our vax docs, test results or ArriveCan receipt, just our passports.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Quite possible. Different personnel may handle things differently in different ports at different times. In Brooklyn last week, Princess did not ask for any of our vax docs, test results or ArriveCan receipt, just our passports.

Well perhaps their system already verified that you uploaded that information and it was confirmed

On 9/22/2022 at 8:33 AM, Steven_&_Daniel said:

I installed the ArriveCAN app and see that you cannot fill that out until 72 hours before arriving in Canada. That will be after we board our cruise. So Princess doesn't require this to be done pre-boarding? Because their system won't let you do it that early.

Yes, you do it before boarding, not when you actually get to Canada unless you are boarding the ship in Canada.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:36 AM, LImom said:

They gave each person a $100 OBC and 35% of the fare paid for FCC...this was very generous of Princess as they cannot control the weather and we all take a chance cruising this area during hurricane season....by the way, my Internet was fine...not as fast as at home but totally functional al all times.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

The Canadian government announced today that, as of October 1, passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada will no longer need to take pre-boarding Covid tests, to be vaccinated, or use ArriveCan.

Official link https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Going to be interesting if Princess can change their policy before our Oct 1 cruise embarkation??

AZJohn: I just live chat with Princess about this a few minutes ago as we are on the same sailing as you. Their response is: "as of now we havent updated yet so please still follow what the protocols on our website says."

So, maybe wait a day or so and see

8 minutes ago, bobloblaw007 said:

AZJohn: I just live chat with Princess about this a few minutes ago as we are on the same sailing as you. Their response is: "as of now we havent updated yet so please still follow what the protocols on our website says."

So, maybe wait a day or so and see

Hi @bobloblaw007,

I would expect the people on Princess chat would be the very last ones that would know any protocol changes (lol).

Agree it might take Princess several days to make all the changes. I would think we will all get a e-mail but, would keep an eye on web page for changes also.

I'm sure we will all keep each other informed here on CC 🙂

Cheers,

John

2 hours ago, westcoaster said:

The Canadian government announced today that, as of October 1, passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada will no longer need to take pre-boarding Covid tests, to be vaccinated, or use ArriveCan.

Great news.  I have a 8 Oct trip

Edited by AF-1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How many ships will be sailing from Canada after October 1?  Alaska Season is almost over.  The end to New England itineraries are fast approaching.  

I am sailing out of NYC on 8 oct

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobloblaw007 said:

Today's announcement by Princess is more of an "aren't we incredible while we take you to incredible places" statement. 

The fact that they may or may not require pre-boarding testing for sailings departing Canada is barely addressed. The implication is that testing may no longer be required but it's certainly not stated as fact. 

We will be watching for a definitive statement from Princess.  

Princess has informally confirmed the new policy. From their FB page in response to someone's question.

Question:

Princess Cruises: We sail Oct 1 Enchanted Princess New England/Canada. With Canada’s announcement, we no longer need a pre-cruise Covid test to enter the country. Just want to verify that we won’t need the test to sail Oct 1st. Thanks.

Author
Princess Cruises
Hi ----, great question. That is correct. This new policy is effective October 1st. You will not need to worry about getting Covid-19 tested. We are so excited to welcome you onboard. Is this your first time sailing to Canada/New England? 💙

7 hours ago, westcoaster said:

WOW!  Is that official?  When will we see this in writing?
So happy!

Edited by suzyed