Using eGift cards as OBC?

ober134

I'm sure many are aware of discount gift cards from Allstate and AARP. How can I use these and apply to my on board account? I've called CS at RCL and she was clueless. I submitted an on line question and have not received any reply. As a frequent CCL, this process is extremely easy. Is there an ATM like kiosk on board, or can customer service desk on board help? TIA

Just now, ober134 said:

I'm sure many are aware of discount gift cards from Allstate and AARP. How can I use these and apply to my on board account? I've called CS at RCL and she was clueless. I submitted an on line question and have not received any reply. As a frequent CCL, this process is extremely easy. Is there an ATM like kiosk on board, or can customer service desk on board help? TIA

It has to be done before you sail.  Call back and get a different agent

10 minutes ago, ober134 said:

And this is why I opt to not use gift cards.

Bought an AARP Royal gift card today to use towards a b2b second leg on Grandeur that I just booked after purchase. Royal agent could not apply it over the phone. Department that helps out is closed on weekends. Hope I didn't blow $450. Redemption process should not be so difficult.

AARP details state you can't use it for OBC,  just for new bookings towards the price of your cruise. I was just trying to use it for that. Just another call to Royal next week I guess to redeem the gift card that Royal partners with AARP.

Edited by coaster

53 minutes ago, coaster said:

Bought an AARP Royal gift card today to use towards a b2b second leg on Grandeur that I just booked after purchase. Royal agent could not apply it over the phone. Department that helps out is closed on weekends. Hope I didn't blow $450. Redemption process should not be so difficult.

AARP details state you can't use it for OBC,  just for new bookings towards the price of your cruise. I was just trying to use it for that. Just another call to Royal next week I guess to redeem the gift card that Royal partners with AARP.

using those gift cards can save passengers 10%, and this should not be so difficult. I can use them on CCL to pay for the cruise, excursions, cash on board, drink pkg, etc. The CS rep I spoke to simply did not understand gift card vs. certificate. She quickly grew frustrated and told me to use it once on board. I won't purchase any unless I KNOW for sure I can use them. I'll call back and see if I get a more knowledgeable person.

5 hours ago, ober134 said:

I'm sure many are aware of discount gift cards from Allstate and AARP. How can I use these and apply to my on board account? I

The terms and conditions of those gift cards from Allstate and AARP specifically state:The Terms & Conditions for this item state that the gift card must be used on a new reservation.

You can't redeem them for anything other than towards the price of a new cruise. I have used these once and only once as I did finally get them to allow me to put them towards the balance on the already booked cruise. Not worth the hassle and will never purchase them again. On CCL it was a piece of cake.

Oh my gosh. I wish I saw this before I purchased them. My trip is already paid in full. I heard RCCL nickel and dimed  you, I didn’t think it it was this bad. Guess I’ll stick to CCL from now on. It’s a pity as I was actually getting excited.

11 hours ago, sailor05 said:

You can't redeem them for anything other than towards the price of a new cruise. I have used these once and only once as I did finally get them to allow me to put them towards the balance on the already booked cruise. Not worth the hassle and will never purchase them again. On CCL it was a piece of cake.

Not that I don't believe your experience, but the AARP certificate I have says call or book online, then e-mail the certificate to apply to the reservation, no mention of a time-frame regarding the definition of "new".

I hope I don't have an issue as I have two.

I agree that  CCL  gift cards are much easier/ better as they can be redeemed on CCLs website for anything, including OBC. After this cruise, I will probably never bother with RCL gift cards from AARP again.