Key West?

coaster

Just added a b2b second leg for our November sailing on Grandeur. Have any Royal ships been there since the restart? Surprised to see Key West on the itinerary after the pushback from the residents there. I think one private pier is exempt from the restrictions, but have not followed closely as Key West was not an upcoming port for us until now.

Edited by coaster

I'll be on the Nov 13 Grandeur sailing. Grandeur is on the KW port schedule for Nov 14 however there are no excursions available through the cruise planner -- this is concerning as there are many scheduled for Labadee.  My thought is that there may be a substitution - maybe Nassau or CocoCay?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'll be on the Nov 13 Grandeur sailing. Grandeur is on the KW port schedule for Nov 14 however there are no excursions available through the cruise planner -- this is concerning as there are many scheduled for Labadee.  My thought is that there may be a substitution - maybe Nassau or CocoCay?  

Please not Nassau!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The lack of excursions could simply be RCI is in negotiations with vendors, an IT issue or a change of port.  It's not common not to be able to choose shore excursions 57 days out.

Just went to cruise planner and you are correct. Not that I didn't believe you.... Agree this is not normal to not be able to book excursions this close to sailing. Guess Key West is a question mark. Thank you for your insight. I see a Virgin ship docking there on the webcam often, but not sure if Royal is getting the same pass to port there.

2 minutes ago, coaster said:

Just went to cruise planner and you are correct. Not that I didn't believe you.... Agree this is not normal to not be able to book excursions this close to sailing. Guess Key West is a question mark. Thank you for your insight. I see a Virgin ship docking there on the webcam often, but not sure if Royal is getting the same pass to port there.

Yes, other cruise lines are porting there -- but you're correct RCI hasn't yet since the referendum -- keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Just added a b2b second leg for our November sailing on Grandeur. Have any Royal ships been there since the restart? Surprised to see Key West on the itinerary after the pushback from the residents there. I think one private pier is exempt from the restrictions, but have not followed closely as Key West was not an upcoming port for us until now.

The last time we stopped there, we docked within the navy base and needed to use one of the authorized shuttles to get to/from town. 

I was there by cruise ship recently to the main dock- it is the same as before.  The shops and restaurants are happy to see us.  The free bus is still running- it is now a white car rental shuttle type van.  

20220823_123248-02.jpeg

20220823_112120-01.jpeg

20220823_121607-01.jpeg

Edited by IslandHppy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't help but think we are part of some test for Royal. First in Royal fleet to port there in over 2 years. Smallest ship in their fleet to maybe avoid much attention. No excursions available to book. Just seems very unusual...Will protesters picket our ship? They have others in the past.

Edited by coaster

8 minutes ago, coaster said:

Can't help but think we are part of some test for Royal. First in Royal fleet to port there in over 2 years. Smallest ship in their fleet to maybe avoid much attention. No excursions available to book. Just seems very unusual...Will protesters picket our ship? They have others in the past.

Key West is my hometown.  Trust me, they'll have no idea....and won't care....that an RCI ship is inbound opposed to any other line.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Key West is my hometown.  Trust me, they'll have no idea....and won't care....that an RCI ship is inbound opposed to any other line.  

Good to know! Maybe thinking too much. We have lived in Florida almost 25 years and just not willing to do the 7 or 8 hour drive down there. Cruise ships give us the ability to visit your town. Thanks for your feedback!  Just love KW compared to Nassau and why we don't book ships that go there. 

Edited by coaster

19 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

When was that? There"s a lot of controversy going on right now.

We had to do that too. Dock at the Naval Base and take a shuttle. And we were only there from 8 to 2. February 2020 on Majesty. It seems like there was already controversy brewing. 

12 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We had to do that too. Dock at the Naval Base and take a shuttle. And we were only there from 8 to 2. February 2020 on Majesty. It seems like there was already controversy brewing. 

Last visit to KW as on Rhapsody out of Tampa in January 2020.

IMG_20200105_120744.jpg

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

We were on a Crystal cruise and docked in KW. An Azamara ship was also there in November 2021. We were met by shop owners holding signs that said Welcome Back! From the ship we could easily walk to Mallory Square in one direction and the Truman White House in the other. 

Edited by Traveling Library
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Traveling Library said:

We were on a Crystal cruise and docked in KW. An Azamara ship was also there in November 2021. We were met by shop owners holding signs that said Welcome Back! From the ship we could easily walk to Mallory Square in one direction and the Truman White House in the other. 

Poor Crystal. That was an ignominious ending for them. :classic_sad:

Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 1

Finally Norwegian Majesty in Mallory Square. We also docked there in 2003. Can't find my picture of NCL's Leeward where we also docked in Mallory Square back in 2009. Love Key West and all our past visits there!

is_00250.jpg

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Traveling Library said:

Last visit in 2020 we finally visited Hemingway home. Cat on bed inside looks exactly like one of our cats.

IMG_20200105_124204.jpg

• Like 1

We were in Key West the week of Labor Day and there was a Virgin ship docked one day.  Didn't really notice anything different on the island and there were no picketers, no worries, go and enjoy, it is one of my favorite places.  And it's such a small island, you really don't need a ship's excursion, you can arrange everything yourself easily.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Agree 

4 minutes ago, bayou cruiser said:

We were in Key West the week of Labor Day and there was a Virgin ship docked one day.  Didn't really notice anything different on the island and there were no picketers, no worries, go and enjoy, it is one of my favorite places.  And it's such a small island, you really don't need a ship's excursion, you can arrange everything yourself easily.  Enjoy!

Agree no ship excursion required, but just is strange none are offered on our sailing. Never bought an excursion in the past for KW. Just hoping we will be the first and many other Royal ships to visit there! The news stories about KW and ships have been very concerning though. Glad to see it seems to be normal now.

• Like 1