Nieuw Statendam September 17th - 24th Boston to Montreal LIVE Thread

sergel02

Well as live as it can be with this internet. 

I’m on this cruise to celebrate my 30th birthday with my family (HAL might be an odd choice but the price and itinerary were great) so I figured I would do another live thread like I did with the Koningsdam last year. 

Itinerary: Boston - Bar Harbor - Halifax - Sydney - Prince Edward Island - Sea Day - Overnight in Quebec

- We had to have a negative test and showed vaccine proof, along with the doing AriveCAN

- We didn’t do VeriFLY but do recommend it because the embarkation was like 2 hours of waiting without it. 

- Purchased the premium internet. It’s not as good as Royal or Celebrity’s though. 

- Embarkation on Day 1 was kind of a mess, but not sure if it was HAL or Port because the San Diego sailing was fine. 

- Around 2100 people on this sailing I believe. 

- The port times are somewhat limited due to noise regulations in order to protect endangered whales in the area (I believe the North Atlantic Whale)

- There’s more but we’re about to leave Bar Harbor so my LTE is about to falloff. Bar Harbor is a tender port of around 15 minutes. Pretty town, long line for the tender though. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Day 3 - Halifax 0930 - 1800

- No issues here at this port. Very nice weather and very pretty city.  Some things were closed though for the Queen’s funeral today though. 

- We took a hop on hop off tour. Wasn’t bad, and they explained about the maritime ship explosion in 1917. Maybe not the best thing to hear before boarding the ship lol

- A lot of places will take US Dollars but will give you back Canadian currency just fyi.

- It doesn’t seem to have any BBC earth video (though they have the BBC in concert) which is a bit disappointing. 

- Ended up getting a shave and facial yesterday that was wonderful. The staff member didn’t try to upsell me much so I was thankful for that (and gave him an extra tip lol).

- We had a small issue of never receiving a water package we ordered day 1. It’s disappointing and we called many times but still nothing. 

- Tip for any future cruisers, book your excursions beforehand if you have an idea of what you want to do or activity level. All the excursions that are moderate or lower have sold out so we have to try some at the piers. 

- Oh something I forgot to mention but they do recommend masks while on the ship. About half the passengers seem to be wearing them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will say that while optional but recommended for guests all staff are masking. 

Another change, but they only do turn-down service and clean your room once a day. You can put the sign outside your door for any extra cleaning though. Not sure if it’s health reasons or staffing issues. Our steward was super helpful.

Day 4 - Sydney - 1100 - 1800

- We got to see the Giant Fiddle!

- The excursions were booked but they have taxi tours where you get a private tour with the cab driver. We did the city tour for $125 and it was 1.5 hours and really nice. 

- We at at The Governor’s Pub nearby. It was okay, not really worth the price IMO, but I do recommend trying some of the local places out since there are so many near the port. 

ECA11390-922A-4006-BB4C-5F354DE76E0E.jpeg

E4F7C3DC-3EA5-4802-A950-7ADC88EAC7E0.jpeg

46FBF0C4-6643-40B8-A04A-FFC8CBAF63F2.jpeg

BE1E12DF-7D31-406C-AF51-1DC8613CE9F1.jpeg

22B3A342-A3A8-45A6-8C6D-C12C9F2E89F9.jpeg

2350B148-9305-4DA9-A77E-651AB44FA0BF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Thanks for the thread. We are on her next week and can't wait. 

Question: "Dressy night" is on which port day? 

For our sailing there are 2: the 2nd night in Bar Harbor, and the 6th night tomorrow which is a sea day. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maisyboo said:

Thanks for posting  time & Taking us along . Just curious what cabin or general location are you staying on NS ?. Asking d/t we are booked AS 4194 . Have a great cruise . 

I usually don’t say specifically only due to privacy (though maybe when the cruise is over), but will say we’re a couple decks higher in adjoining balcony cabins. Having the balcony doors open between us pretty nice!

Day 5 - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada - 0800 to 1600

- Gotta say after 4 nights I do not find the beds comfortable. My back hurts waking up every morning. I think they’re just too hard for me, but I know others who love it. 

- It rained this morning and we had a late start, so we didn’t go on any tours ourselves, but there were some nice options for city tours by bus at a reasonable price in port. 

- Our ship was the only ship in port (a common factor outside of Halifax I think), and the port area has some nice shops and eateries. I ended up getting a nice cat mug, spoon, sushi burrito, and a donut.

- There is a little eatery place called The Food Hall Market which has a lot of nice places to try local food. I went to Hojo’s Sushi Burrito and the food was so good, but more importantly the guy was so friendly and kind. Definitely would recommend. 

- We missed tea time again at 3PM and according to our planner this might be the last one 😮

- Went to Nami and the food was wonderful. It’s a surprise since we went to Tamarind on Koningsdam and thought it was okay. The red curry was great. 

- Got some dessert at the lido but there’s been a Surprising lack of bread pudding this cruise sadly. 

- There was an Orange Party tonight. I honestly can’t tell you what that is though (and many around us not sure either) but lots of people wearing orange. 

- We event to the theater to see the “Seven Worlds One Planet in Concert” by BBC Earth. It was a great show with great live music. The documentary does end on discussing about climate change and what we can do, which I admit is a bit ironic for a cruise ship but it’s still a good message. 

- I do still miss the Planet Earth Special that used all the screens and no idea why it wasn’t on this sailing. Maybe too many ports? Not sure but it was super immersive. 

- Also as I type this at 11:48PM the Captain is blasting the horn for some reason. Dog maybe?

Anyway, clocks go back an hour tonight and it’s our first and only sea day tomorrow. 

Here’s some pics from today:

CC849447-BECC-49D3-9D57-CBB1F956FED9.jpeg

9771FF0B-4F48-495B-96F8-756435096BBE.jpeg

9C2D2292-9832-45D8-9C19-A2C87A1AB0F0.jpeg

3490F66D-902F-4920-8BB5-FF4536A4C715.jpeg

9829D7F4-3747-4984-B6A1-03321B7A66F7.jpeg

53328F16-6216-4BDF-A64B-9F30A47D4FCE.jpeg

B6F5942B-8B4C-4C9B-8430-C2195980D701.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The bread pudding is behind the counter by where they serve the ice cream.  It would be a first if they didn’t have it.

We did NS April 17 FLL to Barcelona.  Rooms were only cleaned one time per day.  Window washing, live flowers, Microsoft and America's Test Kitchen were gone.  Bread pudding was only available at lunch time in Lido.  I also missed the BBC earth programs that used to be on room TV.  We like cabin 5108 interior behind the mid-ship elevator (Koningsdam 42 days crossing and NS this year).  HAL was unable to Covid test us when we disembarked in Barcelona May 1st.

2012 we did Eurodam in storm from Rhode Island to FLL,.  Had thought about doing this cruise, but glad we did not sign up.

Kathy

45 minutes ago, Kruising Kathy said:

We did NS April 17 FLL to Barcelona.  Rooms were only cleaned one time per day.  Window washing, live flowers, Microsoft and America's Test Kitchen were gone.  Bread pudding was only available at lunch time in Lido.  I also missed the BBC earth programs that used to be on room TV.  We like cabin 5108 interior behind the mid-ship elevator (Koningsdam 42 days crossing and NS this year).  HAL was unable to Covid test us when we disembarked in Barcelona May 1st.

2012 we did Eurodam in storm from Rhode Island to FLL,.  Had thought about doing this cruise, but glad we did not sign up.

Kathy

That is our experience as well. I can’t say for sure what are HAL changes, and what are Statendam-specific changes.

- Microsoft studio was was opened as a normal studio, they did a paint class today in it.

- We still have live flowers and plants. I got a bouquet for my birthday actually.

- No idea about window washing.

- Cabins only cleaned once a day, though you can easily request it for nighttime if you want. I don’t see many people putting out signs in the afternoon or evening though. It’s a non issue for us since it’s still optional, but would be sad it the option goes away.

- The bread pudding is only at lunchtime in the lido as well, like yours. They have cobblers and pies and such during dinner, and some pudding during breakfast. Bread pudding isn’t exactly expensive so I wonder if they’re just trialing different options. It did suck a bit for us because we ate lunch in port a lot of days so we end up missing the pudding.

- No Test kitchen, which is sad for me because Koningsdam didn’t have it either and I was hoping this one would.

- No BBC earth videos and this makes me the saddest. Not sure if the 4th and 5th screens are broken or what, but I wish they would tell us why they didn’t since Koningsdam did and they still have BBC in Concert. It’s something we really loved.

Not sure if these changes are just cost-saving or something else. 

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

Is your cruise going to be affected by Hurricane Fiona?

Our captain has said no, though our flight may be. I know Emma Cruises is doing this itinerary in Carnival and is right behind us and is getting lots of rain.

12 hours ago, Maisyboo said:

Totally understand. If you are AFT and when you feel comfortable. Would you share thoughts on cabin location please . Especially vibration and noise . 😀

We are more mid ship and hear noise from decks above, but it’s not too bad. I can say that I ate in the back of the dining room on this and Koningsdam and on NS we felt much less vibrations. It wasn’t too noticeable, whereas on the Koningsdam I felt like i was shaking a bit.

We had a nice day onboard, but it’s getting late so I’ll have to post pics tomorrow. Some points:

- We have to sail slowly, 10 knots. This is to protect the endangered Northern Atlantic Bright Whales in the area. Because of this we will get to Quebec a little later, around 0930 - 1000.

- It was fog last night when I heard the horns. Also, since it was so foggy and the ship was lit up a bunch of birds were following the ship, hundreds it seemed the captain said. A lot of people found little sparrows and such resting on their balconies in the morning.

- There were 3 nice talks today: EXC about Canada and its symbols like the Maple Lead, Mounties, and Winnie the Pooh, Captain talk, and another EXC about fishing in New England. I attended all 3 and they were great. Kim is our cruise director and she is a fantastic presenter. The captain talk was great too, but I do wish HAL offered backstage tours like Celebrity does. I’d gladly pay for them.

- WE MADE IT TO TEA TIME! The tea and food were okay though, I’d like more clotted cream please. Not even sure if it was clotted cream because it didn’t taste like it. We did meet a very nice Canadian couple from Alberta next to us though. It was really fun chatting with them and their cruise journey. They’ve been on the ship for 2 sailings and got to see the journey from Quebec to Boston, but said some of those ports were sadly canceled.

- Show tonight was “In Tandem” which I saw on the Koningsdam. The highlight was definitely their dance to Alicia Key’s “Falling” which was a cover. I do think HAL’s productions shows aren’t bad…but they’re a bit boring compared to ones on other lines. I think there needs to be more dancers to pull off more interesting formations if they’re going to have such a dance focus. For a line known for music, they should probably have a bigger emphasis on music and singing in their shows.

- It was Gold Gala night. Dressier attire, but sadly no lobster. Lobster seems to be a $12.50 up charge available most nights. I don’t like lobster so it’s not a huge deal to me, but my parents love it but don’t really want to pay extra when there are other options. I wish lobster tail was complimentary on at least 1 of the formal nights though.

Off to bed now for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Kruising Kathy said:

Kathy

Not sure why you are quoting me for this.  They’ve been doing once a day cleaning since the start up at least at the balcony level.  How many times a day do you want bread pudding?  It’s on the mdr menu for breakfast, so it’s available at least twice a day. There are much better desserts than this to me but I eat dessert once a day if that on a cruise.  I’d be 400 lbs if I ate it at every meal.

• Like 1

Day 7 - Quebec

Quebec is a very beautiful city. We were at pier 30 I think, the more industrial port, and the NCL Pearl was docked much closer to the city center. We’re getting off tomorrow but some are staying on, and the ship will be overnighted again on the return voyage so the new guests get to enjoy the city at night as well. I do love the overnights and late stays. 

Since tomorrow is going to be a day of nearly 24 hours of traveling, waiting, flying, and driving, I’ll have to finish the update on how I liked Quebec, how I felt about the cruise specifically, and pros and cons of Holland when I get back home with better WiFi and a keyboard. 

I will say though, if you take the Hop on Hop Off bus with Unitours, know that the wait can be an hour or longer on day ships are in town. We waited at stop 3 near the NCL Pearl terminal for over an hour for a bus that wasn’t full. I guess lots got on stop 2 since stop 1 is the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac.

Some pics

6FC558DD-65E1-4DB8-82C9-F3EBF2D3D71D.jpeg

C5A9F9E0-C95F-46D8-BA8A-ABECACB3667A.jpeg

FBB761D5-F612-45F1-888E-17DF6015C482.jpeg

2AB9109E-015C-4F1D-9018-3530619C1DEB.jpeg

0DDC521B-3FAA-4612-B755-5F5FC1B5DF0D.jpeg

BF11B69C-FBAD-4CD5-B2E8-FA085E50A76C.jpeg

D0A06737-4D6C-4C3B-877C-41C53B3CD0E2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 9/22/2022 at 3:52 AM, sergel02 said:

Got some dessert at the lido but there’s been a Surprising lack of bread pudding this cruise sadly. 

Did you look at the bread basket area (Harvest ???) On Pinnacle class ships it is mostly served from that corner (Port side, forward in Lido)

On 9/23/2022 at 2:40 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

The bread pudding is behind the counter by where they serve the ice cream.  It would be a first if they didn’t have it.

On Rotterdam and as far as I remember, Koningsdam the ice cream is served from one side of Lido and the Breads (including Bread Pudding) are served from the other.  

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

On Rotterdam and as far as I remember, Koningsdam the ice cream is served from one side of Lido and the Breads (including Bread Pudding) are served from the other.  

I don’t remember it being that way but you could be right.  I don’t eat it but I’ve been known to have no sugar added  ice cream on occasion and I was pretty sure it was there.  It’s behind the counter wherever it’s located regardless which I think is a good thing.  It sounds like some want it at every meal so maybe the op has found it but it’s not available around the clock.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

14 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I think the Vista/Signature class have it available at the Ice Cream counter (Sweet Spot?) but on Pinnacles that I have been on (only KDM and RDM) the BP is to be found at the location where they have all the breads and ovens.

I could easily be thinking of other desserts that were with the ice cream.  I remember a lady clawing at the plexiglass trying to get a dessert from behind it.  There was 1 or 2 people in front of her.  I’ve never been that hungry or in need of a dessert.

Last month when we were on the Nieuw Statendam, we asked for Bread Pudding where they served the ice cream.  They looked at us like they had no idea what we were even talking about.  As we were walking off, another passenger pointed us to the other side where they served the bread and that was where it was behind the counter.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Was on a cruise first week of August on the Koningsdam and you are correct one side was ice cream and other was Breads and the breads included the Bread Pudding. Also was on the Nieuw Statendam from 9/7/22-9/17/22 and it was being served in the same manner. It was very good. 

• Thanks 1