aarp gift cards

happywandering

Gotta love those people who know all the answers .  Then comes a day when the shoe is on their  foot  & then  oops  .Show me those who knows "all" the answers ? .One thing I learned in 84 years is not to assume any thing . 

PS our adult grand children will graciously do this for us  in Sept when they visit .  

and if we even lost  the $200 no big deal . I couldn't do a new download when  Princess changed their format to Ocean Ready  & not on line like HAL does .So ,We called & called for over 6 hours No one from Princess was able to help us . so We decided not to use a $ 975   FCC , & not to cruise on that line .Seems to me making it all high tech mostly rules out my generation ,in fact many of my generation do not even use computers ,They prefer snail mail  .The end result ,that age group   just does not cruise where it is too hard to get their cruise docs . so they spend their monies else where ,simple solution 

Edited by mcrcruiser

17 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Oh Really  just because we are not technological  in  jow to ,we should not be cruising . Well how would you like to hear that id if were to refer to you ?

Predictably, you will decide to get offended rather than take it on board and do something about it.

Actually, I HAVE said the same kind of thing to my own parents, about 10 years ago, when I suspect they were about the same age that you are now. They were active HAL cruisers but now at 91 and 96, their cruising days are over.

I just retired this year. It is one of my big fears that technology know-how will outrun me now that I am no longer working (and thus have to adapt to the numerous changes and demands of technology every year). If someone made such a comment to me I would think about whether or not the shoe fit -- and if it did, I'd try to do something about it.

Numerous resources are available online. What do millennials and younger ages do when confronted with a technological issue that they can't solve on their own?  They Google "How do you _______" and then find a video or step-by-step instructions. 

Did you not read about all of the older folks stranded by the cruise lines on lengthy World Cruises or similar when Covid struck in early 2020? Some adult children had to fly halfway around the world to help elderly parents get home. Others had to wait with hearts racing and fingers crossed while those elderly parents had to negotiate getting home on their own, with very little help given by the cruise lines. 

That was a wake-up point to me. I would never sign up to travel somewhere if I were not self-sufficient enough to manage my own travel, including rebooking flights, managing my luggage, having to fill out forms online and via my phone, etc. 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

One thing I learned in 84 years is not to assume any thing . 

Yet in the below post you are assuming there will be 'no problem with reimbursement on the trip cancellation & trip interruption...." as long as you have a paper trail. 

image.png.45fd0f060fa0d5b171a9b6a5ef537b5f.png

You also assumed that I am 'negative about using AARP gift cards". Couldn't be farther from the truth. I think the gift cards are great and I'm all for savings whenever I can. But based on what I've researched, I will never use these AARP gift cards for a cruise purchase thinking that they are protected by the Trip coverage offered by Chase Sapphire Preferred. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Last week I also spoke directly to Linda who represents the insurance company that Chase Sapphire Preferred trip insurance runs thru. She was very specific that gift cards would not be reimbursed in the event I needed to enact the trip insurance coverage thru Chase Sapphire Preserve.

I believe that is true for any credit card insurance coverage. Before my card eliminated their coverage for travel insurance, I recall that they required me to pay for the entire trip using the card. That would support your logic and the representatives statement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seeriteR said:

I believe that is true for any credit card insurance coverage. Before my card eliminated their coverage for travel insurance, I recall that they required me to pay for the entire trip using the card. That would support your logic and the representatives statement.

This from Chase Sapphire Preferred Guide to Benefits:

"Travel Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance  The Cardholder and Immediate Family Members are covered when the Cardholder’s name is embossed on an eligible Card issued in
the United States, and the Cardholder charges all or a portion of a
Trip to his or her Credit Card Account and/or Rewards programs
associated with the Account."  https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve2

On 7/25/2023 at 9:02 AM, friendswithdave said:

Thanks all, it worked for me this morning. The screen looked different. I think I just needed to log out then log back in.

Now I need to figure out how to use these to make payment when booking a cruise using an online travel agent currently providing the best deal on a Dec cruise. I'll start working on this and report back, but if you have hints or know this isn't possible, your input is appreciated.

I send my TA a spread sheet listing the card numbers and PINs.  He makes the payment.  Easy

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 9:46 PM, Haljo1935 said:

HELP please! No matter what browser or equipment I am using, I cannot get the AARP HAL gift card purchase to go through.

I get a message that an error occurred & it can't be completed. Has a note to call AARP w/a phone number.

Of course, AARP could not provide assistance and said they would "send it up..."

My bank doesn't see the transactions have even been attempted  - they say the transaction is not even making it to Visa.

I've read numerous posts on the AARP site from users w/same issue going back to at least early last year.

I've used both Android & Apple phone, laptop & tablet - no go.

Used Chrome, Edge, Safari & Silk - no go.

I've turned pop up blockers off, tried w/it on - no go.

Used incognito mode - no go.

Manually entered payment details & also tried letting it auto populate - no go.

Used MC, Visa and PayPal  - no go.

Tried to buy as few as 1, as many as 3; as little as $100, as much as $500 - no go.

I've tried at 2am and 2pm and many times in between - no go.

They do show to be available and at the top is the message I've purchased 0 of 5.

What did I not try? What is the trick? What am I missing. All help and suggestions are appreciated. 

I use Chrome and it works fine.  On the first purchase it was flagged as possible fraud by my credit card company but ever since it works fine.  Just purchased $2500 worth this week.

53 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

I use Chrome and it works fine.  On the first purchase it was flagged as possible fraud by my credit card company but ever since it works fine.  Just purchased $2500 worth this week.

Is there a time of day you notice it works better?

8 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks - I'll keep trying.

Still having trouble?!  I bought a single HAL card and more grocery cards to complete my available card purchases for the month.  Just throwing out suggestions that you might have missed:   Are you typing everything in rather than using auto fill.   Sometimes there is a hidden space at the front of the auto fill entry.  I always turn off the pop up blockers as they seem to mess with everything.  Gosh, I hope you are able to get this done.

BTW. What part of Texas are you in?  I am in north Dallas county. 

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Still having trouble?!  I bought a single HAL card and more grocery cards to complete my available card purchases for the month.  Just throwing out suggestions that you might have missed:   Are you typing everything in rather than using auto fill.   Sometimes there is a hidden space at the front of the auto fill entry.  I always turn off the pop up blockers as they seem to mess with everything.  Gosh, I hope you are able to get this done.

BTW. What part of Texas are you in?  I am in north Dallas county. 

Thanks for checking; funny timing - I just hung up w/credit union asking if they see any declined attempts because as recently as this morning I cannot get it to work. They do not have any declines. So it's definitely on AARP side. The lady at the credit union also asked me about Google pay telling me to not use it. I am entering myself, ugh.

I am in Arlington, so not far from you. Maybe we can meet up and you can enter for me, lol. I have a final payment on Monday, so I was really hoping to get these to go through. Plus the new month starts right after that and I was hoping to buy the next allotment to use for the cruise after that.

38 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for checking; funny timing - I just hung up w/credit union asking if they see any declined attempts because as recently as this morning I cannot get it to work. They do not have any declines. So it's definitely on AARP side. The lady at the credit union also asked me about Google pay telling me to not use it. I am entering myself, ugh.

I am in Arlington, so not far from you. Maybe we can meet up and you can enter for me, lol. I have a final payment on Monday, so I was really hoping to get these to go through. Plus the new month starts right after that and I was hoping to buy the next allotment to use for the cruise after that.

I was thinking if you were nearby we could meet up.  I am way over on the east side probably 40 miles from you. 🤷‍♀️. I sure hope it works.  

On 7/26/2023 at 11:27 AM, mcrcruiser said:

I remember your negative about using AARP gift cards not covered by insurance . We use a paper trail to show that we bought the gift cards from AARP & applied them to the booking   using the Chase Sapphire Credit card .That is all that needs to be done to insure that money with the Chase Sapphire credit card . so there is no problem with reimbursement on the trip cancellation & trip interruption of the ins part of the Chase Sapphire credit card

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I was thinking if you were nearby we could meet up.  I am way over on the east side probably 40 miles from you. 🤷‍♀️. I sure hope it works.  

I could come out to you, but it would have to be Sunday.

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I could come out to you, but it would have to be Sunday.

If you really want to sure.  Send me an email at privateemail64 at icloud.com    We have an evening concert but other than that we can be home 

Does anyone that banks with NFCU (Navy Fed CU) have experience purchasing HAL gift cards through AARP?

I have tried everything (browsers, equipment, settings, time of day...) and cannot get purchases to go through. When I call NFCU they tell me they aren't seeing an attempt, so the transaction is not making it to them. So I'm thinking the issue is somehow related to NFCU and AARP together.

Thanks @Mary229 for your help - you are a delight and a treasure!!

11 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Does anyone that banks with NFCU (Navy Fed CU) have experience purchasing HAL gift cards through AARP?

I have tried everything (browsers, equipment, settings, time of day...) and cannot get purchases to go through. When I call NFCU they tell me they aren't seeing an attempt, so the transaction is not making it to them. So I'm thinking the issue is somehow related to NFCU and AARP together.

Do you have a different card that you could try?  I used my Citi AAdvantage card without a problem.

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

You are welcome.  I enjoyed our visit, come again anytime 

On 7/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, mcrcruiser said:

looks great 

We are now certified for the AARP $200  on board credit  . all credit goes to our 23 year old grand son .He walked us through one step .at a time . Holland came back & said "verified" 

now that is behind us . 

We just booked a new 2025 Hawaii cruise where that applies  The 2024 Hawaii cruise & our 14 day West Coat/ Mexico cruises were booked prior to the promotion & do not qualify

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are now certified for the AARP $200  on board credit  . all credit goes to our 23 year old grand son .He walked us through one step .at a time . Holland came back & said "verified" 

now that is behind us . 

We just booked a new 2025 Hawaii cruise where that applies  The 2024 Hawaii cruise & our 14 day West Coat/ Mexico cruises were booked prior to the promotion & do not qualify

We contacted our TA and asked him to include it in our new cruise booking. We haven't heard anything from HAL about it.  Should we see it in our online account?