Fellow Canadian Celebrity cruisers: How do you purchase travel insurance for your cruise?

Karysa

35 minutes ago, Karysa said:

Since purchasing travel insurance is not permitted through Celebrity by website or phone I was hoping that you would share the name of the company that you use. Many thanks in advance!

Wrong forum.  There is an entire section on cruise insurance that am sure you know exists after 10000+ posts!

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

No that’s news to me. I figured it would be a cruise line by cruise line thing and that is why I posted here. We haven’t cruised since 2019 so I haven’t had to deal with getting insurance that would cover covid issues and just relied on are Credit card insurance.

Thank you very much for the information I will make my way over to the insurance forum. Have a lovely day.

10 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We booked through Celebrity and added their vacation protection plan.

Was this recently? I booked yesterday and could not book on line and today I called and was told that they only sell to US cruisers. Thanks

Op, you could also post your question on the Canadian  Cruisers forum. You may find the Insurance forum to be too US focused.

We have an annual travel policy, but previously have bought travel insurance from Manulife and through RBC, since we are clients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Op, you could also post your question on the Canadian  Cruisers forum. You may find the Insurance forum to be too US focused.

We have an annual travel policy, but previously have bought travel insurance from Manulife and through RBC, since we are clients.

Another great suggestion. Thank you 😊 

I have already access to a medical insurance program through work.  So, I was mainly interested in travel insurance covering cancellation, trip interruption, lost luggage etc.

Earlier this year, it was quite difficult to find cruise travel insurance due to Covid and the Canadian Government advice to avoid all cruise travel.

Fortunately for us, in March 2022, the government advice was lifted. So, finding insurance became easier. 

Meanwhile, we had received an acceptable quote from Manulife, which I was happy with. But, the lifting of the advice allowed me to use the insurance included on my credit card from Caisses Popular Desjardins. ( Other Canadian banks seems to offer similar benefits). I just had to pay to increase the amount of the coverage, which was much cheaper.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Karysa said:

Thank you so much. I have CAA. I will give them a call.

Be careful with CAA. In 2019, we sailed on Edge thinking our coverage was standalone. Thank goodness we didn’t have a claim. At the time CAA would have gone through my employee medical coverage first before they paid out a dime on their policy. That was the last time we used CAA for our travel insurance.

Please check with them first to see if that is still their policy (we asked CAA when we purchased and were told their policy was a standalone). Needless to say, it was not.

We have since used Goose Insurance out of BC. 

Randy

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Karysa said:

Was this recently? I booked yesterday and could not book on line and today I called and was told that they only sell to US cruisers. Thanks

No, it was not recently.  We booked this cruise (Silhouette Oct 20, 2022) on Apr 9, 2021 and dealt with a Celebrity vacation planner who recommended the coverage.  Everything is changing and we Canadians are being treated like third world countries.  Nothing to do with your question but I lost my Macy's card because I'm a Canadian and they said it was a gov't regulation now.  The way these people are shutting stores because of a lack of business, you'd think they would welcome Canadians who pay their bills promptly.  Thanks for letting me rant.

I hope you get coverage that pleases you.

What's with the numbering of the posts lately? Two #1's right after one another.............

Edited by TeaBag
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

No, it was not recently.  We booked this cruise (Silhouette Oct 20, 2022) on Apr 9, 2021 and dealt with a Celebrity vacation planner who recommended the coverage.  Everything is changing and we Canadians are being treated like third world countries.  Nothing to do with your question but I lost my Macy's card because I'm a Canadian and they said it was a gov't regulation now.  The way these people are shutting stores because of a lack of business, you'd think they would welcome Canadians who pay their bills promptly.  Thanks for letting me rant.

I hope you get coverage that pleases you.

What's with the numbering of the posts lately? Two #1's right after one another.............

Two #1’s? 

23 hours ago, Karysa said:

Since purchasing travel insurance is not permitted through Celebrity by website or phone I was hoping that you would share the name of the company that you use. Many thanks in advance!

Check if your credit card has this option first.  We have used manulife in the past for ours.

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Two #1’s? 

They must have corrected it.  When I submitted my post it was #1, as was the post before it.  They should have been #16 and 17 as they are now.  This is not the first time this has happened to me.  glad it's fixed.