Canada dropping Vaccine Requirements.....

BermudaBound2014

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

i got a feeling that canada will keep the existing cruise ship passenger requirements with arrivecan and testing and then drop all requirements for land crossing

They dropped all requirements for land crossings today. They made arrivecan optional also. It would be a pretty low blow to the cruise industry if Canada kept those requirements just for cruise ships. Kinda like flipping them the middle finger.

Anything is possible. As we have all witnesses, Covid protocols remains very fluid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

They dropped all requirements for land crossings today. They made arrivecan optional also. It would be a pretty low blow to the cruise industry if Canada kept those requirements just for cruise ships. Kinda like flipping them the middle finger.

Anything is possible. As we have all witnesses, Covid protocols remains very fluid.

Just curious, but what does “optional” mean?

The requirements for testing and vaccination aboard cruise ships is covered under a ministerial order. That is independent of the Order in Council that provides authorization for mandatory ArriveCAN submissions and vaccinations. Allowing the latter to lapse does not necessarily negate the former. 

Looks like cruise passengers will no longer have to be vaccinated, test or complete ArriveCAN as of 10/01/2022 per the Canadian Public Health Agency.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

From the release:  Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Looks like cruise passengers will no longer have to be vaccinated, test or complete ArriveCAN as of 10/01/2022 per the Canadian Public Health Agency.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

From the release:  Cruise measures are also being lifted, and travellers will no longer be required to have pre-board tests, be vaccinated, or use ArriveCAN. A set of guidelines will remain to protect passengers and crew, which will align with the approach used in the United States.

Thanks for this.  Due diligence by guests and NCL have finally paid off.

Will wait to get a notice from NCL about their procedures, but I'm confident they'll revise their current requirements.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Looks like Princess wins the race. Took them less than an hour to make an official statement.

image.thumb.png.e6cd2ad75887c2f738e9b9bdf287368c.png

image.thumb.png.ccd1b79110f5777e6ec3f3b7e99d7a72.png

I'm guessing that the travel industry received advanced notification prior to the public release, just so that they could be prepared to react quickly.  NCL probably already has made the decisions, it's just that well, you know, NCL IT......  We'll see! 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm guessing that the travel industry received advanced notification prior to the public release, just so that they could be prepared to react quickly.  NCL probably already has made the decisions, it's just that well, you know, NCL IT......  We'll see! 😎

I suspect all the cruise lines will have things updated today. I do not anticipate any cruise line keeping any protocols in place for Canada.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

i am sailing on the joy to Canada in 2 weeks..they really really need to update their protocols asap 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

A bit off topic, but since I'm the OP I don't mind lol

Looks like GREECE has also removed all their protocols for cruise ship passengers. As soon as I can triangulate the news I'll start a new thread if someone hasn't already. 

That would be great! Here's an existing thread you can post any new information regarding the recent Greek Port Authority pre-cruise testing requirement changes to.

• Thanks 1

As is typical of my life, I board Pearl for Canada on 9/30!  When I completed ArriveCan this morning it clearly stated that testing was not required, but I'm not sure if NCL has caught up with this directive.  So as of now, I guess I'll get the cheap 19.00 proctored test and use a free test kit from USPS....

Carnival has updated their requirements (self-test if 16 nights or longer):

Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

Celebrity has also (self-test if 10 nights or longer):

US Travel Requirements Visiting Canada (celebritycruises.com)

NCL is still asleep at the wheel.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

On 9/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do not anticipate any cruise line keeping any protocols in place for Canada.

I don't either but I have a 10/2 departure for Canada and my concern is that NCL won't update and distribute new internal protocols to port staff - or they'll do it the NCL way. It's going to be a mess when half the pax show up without a test and the port staff still think it's required. 

Ding Dong, the Witch is DEAD!!!!!

"For Sailings on or after September 30, 2022:

Canada has removed all COVID-19 entry restrictions for all travelers regardless of citizenship. Guests will no longer have to:

• submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website
  • provide proof of vaccination
  • undergo pre- or on-arrival testing
  • carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation
  • monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada."

Travel Requirements by Port & Country (ncl.com)

It appears that unvaccinated passengers will still be required to get tested (NCL global requirement, not Canada).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dandelpino said:

I don't either but I have a 10/2 departure for Canada and my concern is that NCL won't update and distribute new internal protocols to port staff - or they'll do it the NCL way. It's going to be a mess when half the pax show up without a test and the port staff still think it's required. 

It's official. I just got the email below re: my Oct 2nd sailing on Encore:

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding cruises visiting Canada. Travel partners should share the below information with guests who may be affected.

As you prepare for your upcoming sailing, we want to ensure that your embarkation process runs smoothly. As such, we want to make you aware of our latest health and safety protocols, as well as the travel requirements for the destinations you will visit.

REQUIREMENTS FOR CRUISES THAT VISIT CANADA
Effective for sailings September 30, 2022 forward, all COVID-19 travel requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine/isolation protocols will no longer be required for travelers entering Canada by land, air or sea.

Although Canada has lifted its COVID-19 travel requirements, including those specific to cruise passengers, all guests must still meet the following NCL embarkation requirements to board their upcoming cruise.

NCL EMBARKATION REQUIREMENTS
Given the relaxation of global protocols and travel requirements, we have updated our health protocols to welcome all guests to sail with us, regardless of vaccination status. As such, all guests ages 12 years and older, must provide proof of one of the following:

1. Proof of completed series of one-dose or two-dose vaccination regimen. Please visit www.ncl.com/sail-safe for a full list of accepted vaccines and additional information.'

OR

2. Proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e., PCR) taken within three days of the embarkation date.

Guests 6 months to 11 years are welcome aboard with no restrictions. While we welcome unvaccinated guests, it is the responsibility of the guest to be aware of any local protocols and/or travel restrictions in place at the visiting destinations at the time of sailing.

We cannot wait to welcome you onboard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lupush said:

It's official. I just got the email below re: my Oct 2nd sailing on Encore:

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding cruises visiting Canada. Travel partners should share the below information with guests who may be affected.

As you prepare for your upcoming sailing, we want to ensure that your embarkation process runs smoothly. As such, we want to make you aware of our latest health and safety protocols, as well as the travel requirements for the destinations you will visit.

REQUIREMENTS FOR CRUISES THAT VISIT CANADA
Effective for sailings September 30, 2022 forward, all COVID-19 travel requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine/isolation protocols will no longer be required for travelers entering Canada by land, air or sea.

Although Canada has lifted its COVID-19 travel requirements, including those specific to cruise passengers, all guests must still meet the following NCL embarkation requirements to board their upcoming cruise.

NCL EMBARKATION REQUIREMENTS
Given the relaxation of global protocols and travel requirements, we have updated our health protocols to welcome all guests to sail with us, regardless of vaccination status. As such, all guests ages 12 years and older, must provide proof of one of the following:

1. Proof of completed series of one-dose or two-dose vaccination regimen. Please visit www.ncl.com/sail-safe for a full list of accepted vaccines and additional information.'

OR

2. Proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (i.e., PCR) taken within three days of the embarkation date.

Guests 6 months to 11 years are welcome aboard with no restrictions. While we welcome unvaccinated guests, it is the responsibility of the guest to be aware of any local protocols and/or travel restrictions in place at the visiting destinations at the time of sailing.

We cannot wait to welcome you onboard.

That's great that NCL has sent something official. I'm surprised they haven't sent me anything yet since my departure is in 5 days but I'm glad they made it an official policy.

7 hours ago, jla418 said:

As is typical of my life, I board Pearl for Canada on 9/30!  When I completed ArriveCan this morning it clearly stated that testing was not required, but I'm not sure if NCL has caught up with this directive.  So as of now, I guess I'll get the cheap 19.00 proctored test and use a free test kit from USPS....

I believe any sailing on or after September 30 does not need ArriveCAN or testing. 

B2210419-13AF-489C-B03C-C2752631A6FA.jpeg