Possible storm in the Caribbean late next week--HURRICANE IAN THREAD*********

jxtgreek

1 hour ago, jxtgreek said:

Just heard about another possible storm late next week.  I'm on a 4 day out of Tampa on the Paradise starting 9/29.  Only 1 port, getaway weekend.  What does Carnival typically do with this type of situation?

Even though it's the time of the year where hurricanes are possible, nothing can be confirmed at this point.  However it is true weatherknowitallchannel claims that all next week will be rain in Cozumel.  Let's see what happens.

I'm supposed to be on the Glory next week, there's little doubt that the trip is going to be impacted based on the timing of the forecasts right now. Hope this storm just falls apart but the timing is looking pretty bad for us.

Yeah, with this storm coming towards Jamaica, I’m pretty sure my western Caribbean cruise on the horizon will change.  Supposed to board ship this Sunday, Tuesday Jamaica (not gonna happen), Wednesday Grand cayman (not gonna happen either) Cozumel on Thursday. Curious as to where carnival will re-route the ship. 

While it's difficult to really know what will happen this far out, both the GFS and EURO models have this storm (which is just currently invest 98L) making landfall in Florida late next week. Hopefully this is not the case but I suspect the state is going to have some impacts. It will be difficult to start to narrow it down for another five days or so. 

Edited by Jelly_Toast
  • Like 1

Euro and GFS models show this storm will be in the Gulf of Mexico around September 30th to October 1st and possibly be a cat 3 by then. If the timing is correct, your cruise would just skirt the coast south while it headed north. Fun seas though!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_39.png

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

We're watching the same storm.  We are sailing out of Tampa on Oct 3rd, flying in the day before.  Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Should be long gone by October 3rd, but oh look, another one right behind it. 

image.png.88d8fcd952182f87109c687920981d5e.png

3 hours ago, asalligo said:

Euro and GFS models show this storm will be in the Gulf of Mexico around September 30th to October 1st and possibly be a cat 3 by then. If the timing is correct, your cruise would just skirt the coast south while it headed north. Fun seas though!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_39.png

We fly into MIA next Friday from Houston....looks to be a bumpy ride!!  The plan is to depart on the Horizon, Saturday, October 1.  Hopefully we're all able to make our cruises and the folks at our many destinations are safe!!  The joys of cruising during Hurricane season!  Thank you for posting this.  

1 hour ago, blondestickchick said:

We fly into MIA next Friday from Houston....looks to be a bumpy ride!!  The plan is to depart on the Horizon, Saturday, October 1.  Hopefully we're all able to make our cruises and the folks at our many destinations are safe!!  The joys of cruising during Hurricane season!  Thank you for posting this.  

I'm on the Horizon right before you.  Sunday September 25 - Saturday October 1.  Have no idea where we will be going as we are scheduled to visit Jamaica,GC,Cozumel. 

46 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival isn't going to change anything until they know where the storm is going - so typically not more than 72 hours out.

Thank you.  I have been wondering what they do.  The only other time I have had to deal with this was back in 2017 when our cruise was suppose to depart from San Juan, PR and Carnival cancelled our cruise like 9 days out because there was no pier, it was destroyed by hurricane. 

We're definitely in a situation with our cruise. Glory leaving Sunday from New Orleans. Supposed to be in Key West on Tuesday, followed by Freeport and Nassau. High likelihood of this being there on those days, or at least 2 of the 3 days. Sucks because we booked this cruise specifically to do the Eastern loop. I'd imagine chances are high of missing one if not all 3 ports, especially if it hooks earlier than anticipated. Could be starting to impact Key West Tuesday and Bahamas.

Our other issue is, if this thing hooks wide and hits New Orleans we're really screwed. First that's where we need to get off, but also we wouldn't be home to secure the house or our dogs. One thing for dog sitter to come by and give food and water, whole different thing to expect them to evacuate them.

Really sucks because we still haven't moved home from Hurricane Ida last year. We're rebuilding our house still, and now there's a decent threat on the horizon. 

Next few days are going to be stressful waiting for updates and more info. Hopefully it'll fall apart and do minimal damage to anyone

1 hour ago, BeachDiva101 said:

I'm on the Horizon right before you.  Sunday September 25 - Saturday October 1.  Have no idea where we will be going as we are scheduled to visit Jamaica,GC,Cozumel. 

We'll be on the Horizon, too. 13th cruise for us, and first one threatened by a hurricane.

Glad we haven't booked any excursions.

1 hour ago, BeachDiva101 said:

Thank you.  I have been wondering what they do.  The only other time I have had to deal with this was back in 2017 when our cruise was suppose to depart from San Juan, PR and Carnival cancelled our cruise like 9 days out because there was no pier, it was destroyed by hurricane. 

Carnival won't make changes too early, because a storm might change course, possibly making no change necessary or possibly heading directly to the new course Carnival selected.

I have tendered into Cozumel when the Puerta Maya pier was at the bottom of the sea. Each storm can bring unique challenges 

18 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

People if you're driving to the port fill up your tank before you park.  You may have a problem filling it after you return.

You might have a problem even finding your car 

You also might want to fill your tank if stations are jacking prices like they did last March. I think prices rose over a dollar a gallon while we were cruising.

• Like 1

On the Paradise this Saturday, the 24th. Another adventure this time of year.  I think Mahogany Bay and Cozumel might not be our ports this time around, but Hello Nassau and a private island???? Who knows?  It's an adventure! Right?  Getting out of town and Cheers package, I'm happy.

living in Florida and I hope this thing falls apart, but I doubt it, but again, who knows?  Enjoy your travels no matter what.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blondestickchick said:

Don't worry too much yet, this is the GFS Model. The European model has it going straight to Tampa. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jsglow said:

It IS the heart of hurricane season. Simply expect the unexpected. 

Agreed!! We cruise solely during this time of year as it works best with our schedules....it's always a fun time!  My very first cruise in 2004 we got caught up in Hurricane Jean, waves were splashing onto our balcony on our deck above the bridge.  We had the perfect view of the weather radar from our balcony and could see the storm we were outrunning.  We rushed to return to port only to be turned away as we couldn't safely disembark in time for the ship to escape the storm.  IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!  I was happy to learn I don't suffer from seasickness.  Thankfully we've cruised enough where we don't focus on specific destinations so much anymore, rather the experience as a whole.  As I told my husband, we just have to make it on the boat, from there, it's all good!

Edited by blondestickchick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1