Live from the Sapphire Princess: first post pause sailing 9/24-10/4/2022 (Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez)

travelin.sisters

8 hours ago, chamima said:

We did that cruise in Feb. 2020. Because of the limited news access we were pretty much unaware of the unfolding epidemic until we returned home. However, by the last nine sea days home many, many people (including my husband) were coughing and sick. They told everyone it was the flu.

I'm still glad we did it because we got to spend two days on Bora Bora and they no longer allow the larger ships access. I think Tahiti is my favorite place in the world.

we had almost signed up for that cruise, but we love the Island so decided to go on the later one, it is probably just as well as there were some (non-covid related) health issues in our family that would have been very bad if we had been cruising for so long, I guess we will stick with Hawai'i for now...

Last thoughts

Although it was far from a perfect cruise (I haven’t actually been on a perfect cruise, have you?), there were several highlights to this voyage. The first of these were the captain & crew.

The crew on this cruise was probably the best I have experienced overall. One of the reasons I love cruising Princess is the wonderful crew members I have met, but this cruise it felt like they were all wonderful. There were many who were still struggling to learn their jobs, but I did not meet a single crew member who was rude, abrupt or didn’t seem to be trying to do their best for us.

Captain Ravera is among the best I have sailed with. Unlike other cruises I have taken, he kept us informed in detail about what was happening during our voyage. He also did not pretend that there were no problems. Speaking with him, it was clear that he cared about both his crew & his passengers.

I will remember the look of absolute delight on my sister’s face as she fed dozens of birds in La Paz. The perfect double rainbow with all four feet in the ocean after a sudden storm was another highlight.  There are always delightful people to meet on any cruise & I am already wishing I was back where someone would plan & cook my meals for me.

I know that there were people on this cruise who did not have a good experience. Not everyone had AC & plumbing that consistently worked. For some this was a minor inconvenience that did not ruin their cruise, but for others it did. I don’t think this was true for most on this cruise but that doesn’t excuse the fact that it was for some. Sometimes Princess is not good at dealing with &/or admitting problems. There are definitely things they could & should do better.

Looking back on this cruise, it has not been my favorite for a number of reasons, but it was a good cruise nonetheless. Mexico to me is kind of a ‘I want to cruise’ voyage rather than I want to cruise there choice. At least this had Loreto & La Paz rather than just Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán &/or Ensenada.

The confusion & uncertainty leading up to the cruise (both the will they or won’t they cancel & the lack of boarding info) meant that we started not really relaxed & well prepared. I also think a cruise south from LA in late September/October is not a choice I will make again as both of the ones I have taken have had problems with the weather being miserable and we have missed ports due to tropical storms.

Thank you again for joining me on this journey. I hope it helpful &/or enjoyable. I appreciate everyone who has commented, shared their opinion or experiences, answered questions or just said hi. I am grateful that even when you had differences of opinion you have stayed kind. Thank you each for your part in making this a good live report.

So now, I think this one is over. See you around, about & on the next trip!

My posts in this LIVE:

pre-cruise musing—post 1

photos of berth 46—post 2

ready to go—post 23

onboard & ready to report—post 60

embarkation day—post 67

embarkation photos—post 68

embarkation lunch photos—post 70 & 72

exploring the ship—post 80

ship photos—posts 82, 84, 88, 89, 100 & 101

day 2—at sea—post 102

day 2 photos—posts 109, 110, 111 & 112

answers to questions—post 123

Cabo San Lucas—post 126

Cabo photos—posts 147, 150, 153, 154, 160, 162 & 163

La Paz—post 164

La Paz photos—posts 178, 179. 180, 181, 182 & 183

Loreto—post 189

Loreto photos—posts 191, 192, 194, 195 & 196

more answers to your questions—post 206

possibly helpful information—post 223

3 sea days!—post 224

sea day photos—posts 255, 256, 257 & 258

San Diego—post 259

San Diego photos—posts 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 266, 267 & 268

home again—post 269

home again photos—post 271

papers & Patters—posts 274, 275, 276, 277, 281, 282, 283, 284, 287, 288, 289 290

meals & menus—posts 297, 305, 308, 318, 328, 329, 333. 334, 335, 358, 359, 360, 361

wrap up—post 385

extra photos (& videos)—posts 386, 387, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 403

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

@travelin.sistersyou did an amazing live from!  I was on the Ruby and Royal the last 25 plus days so didn’t catch up to all the posts like I wanted. I have to give you props considering the challenges I’ve experienced posting with ship WiFi.  I spent today planning with my friend for our November Hawaii sailing on sapphire.  Your thread allows us to set our expectations accordingly.  

thanks so much. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@travelin.sistersyou did an amazing live from!  I was on the Ruby and Royal the last 25 plus days so didn’t catch up to all the posts like I wanted. I have to give you props considering the challenges I’ve experienced posting with ship WiFi.  I spent today planning with my friend for our November Hawaii sailing on sapphire.  Your thread allows us to set our expectations accordingly.  

thanks so much. 

have a wonderful time, she should have most of the kinks worked out by then, everyone was trying so hard. Maybe they will still have the pink Cherry bear when you are on, I do believe Stanly & McKinley would like a sister Cherry.

8 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

have a wonderful time, she should have most of the kinks worked out by then, everyone was trying so hard. Maybe they will still have the pink Cherry bear when you are on, I do believe Stanly & McKinley would like a sister Cherry.

Omg did you see the 5 new family members I picked up last week on the Royal?  

if I come home with yet another bear I will have to go into therapy!  My BFF and I are looking forward to our sapphire sailing with “eyes wide open”. Thanks to you. I’m sure lots more will be corrected by then.  

9 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Omg did you see the 5 new family members I picked up last week on the Royal?  

if I come home with yet another bear I will have to go into therapy!  My BFF and I are looking forward to our sapphire sailing with “eyes wide open”. Thanks to you. I’m sure lots more will be corrected by then.  

Yes I did see them...& they said they voted & you should get them a Cherry.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

one last update for those who have followed along: only one of us ended up with covid (that would be the one who was least careful about mask wearing) & is now recovered, fortunately the rest did not get it on the cruise or in the house after coming home so are still novids--thank you to everyone who wished us health & again to all who followed along & participated--next up Hawai'i on the Crown in March!!

My posts in this LIVE:

pre-cruise musing—post 1

ready to go—post 23

embarkation day—post 67

day 2—at sea—post 102

Cabo San Lucas—post 126

La Paz—post 164

Loreto—post 189

3 sea days!—post 224

San Diego—post 259

home again—post 269

papers & Patters—posts 274, 275, 276, 277, 281, 282, 283, 284, 287, 288, 289 290

meals & menus—posts 297, 305, 308, 318, 328, 329, 333. 334, 335, 358, 359, 360, 361

wrap up—post 385

last thoughts—post 405

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

one last update for those who have followed along: only one of us ended up with covid (that would be the one who was least careful about mask wearing) & is now recovered, fortunately the rest did not get it on the cruise or in the house after coming home so are still novids--thank you to everyone who wished us health & again to all who followed along & participated--next up Hawai'i on the Crown in March!!

My posts in this LIVE:

pre-cruise musing—post 1

ready to go—post 23

embarkation day—post 67

day 2—at sea—post 102

Cabo San Lucas—post 126

La Paz—post 164

Loreto—post 189

3 sea days!—post 224

San Diego—post 259

home again—post 269

wrap up—post 385

last thoughts—post 405

I know lots of people say masks don't prevent disease but I took a three week seminar this summer where ,after the first several days , where  the majority of people were unmasked , Covid ran rampant. None of us who masked faithfully while inside the very full seminar rooms got sick. Coincidence - maybe.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, chamima said:

I know lots of people say masks don't prevent disease but I took a three week seminar this summer where ,after the first several days , where  the majority of people were unmasked , Covid ran rampant. None of us who masked faithfully while inside the very full seminar rooms got sick. Coincidence - maybe.

Anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. I know plenty of people who faithfully masked, maintained social distancing, washed their hands frequently, were fully vaccinated and boosted and still got Covid.

• Like 1

for now, & the foreseeable future, we shall choose to continue to wear masks, avoid over full elevators, & take other reasonable precautions to reduce the likelihood of getting anything...others with fewer risk factors, higher risk tolerance, or a myriad of other reasons will make their own choices...wishing each of you safe seas & happy voyages

16 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

98% effective means just that. 100% non-effective vs. 98% effective leads me to conclude I'll wear a mask.  Also my RT has said: the outside of the mask is where COVID gets caught, so don't touch it!

Where did the 98% number come from? Research (I can give a link if you want) reports that a N95 mask properly fitted used by trained people is 50-70% effective. The problem on ships is that generally people do not wear good quality, properly fitted masks, and then they spend several hours a day in the bars and dining areas without a mask. This is very different to a doctor wearing a mask during a procedure.

If you wear a mask, make sure you have the best one you can get. The comment about the outside surface is well taken. Ideally you should only use a mask once but that is not going to happen so care is needed. The question is then what do you do with your mask when you take it off? Set it on your table? Put it in your pocket? Hang it up?  I do not know but I do know that if someone wants to wear a mask, no one should give them any trouble about doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NownZen said:

The question is then what do you do with your mask when you take it off? Set it on your table? Put it in your pocket? Hang it up?  I do not know but I do know that if someone wants to wear a mask, no one should give them any trouble about doing so.

You're supposed to put it in a paper bag.

I'm not positive but I think I was told to put it in there for a week.

it can then be re-used. N-95s  or KN94s.

35 minutes ago, chamima said:

There is some uncertainty in how long the virus is either alive or viable on various surfaces. But remember to be effective you need to do this every time you take it off. That can be a lot of masks and paper bags.

38 minutes ago, chamima said:

It might not be a bad idea to have a germicidal lamp along to do the disinfecting of the mask. Less work and supplies.

I just put the mask in my back pocket and the week or so later when the pants are washed it must do something.

• 3 months later...