Sunset Veranda on Beyond Deck 7 or 11

Seadog84

Hi,

Im planning my first celebrity cruise and I have a sunset veranda on the beyond booked already (deck 11) but another opened up on deck 7. I’m not sure if I should switch. Looking at pictures of the aft on beyond, deck 7 appears to be fully covered/ enclosed whereas all other decks above are more open. Has anyone stayed in both that could give any advice or comparison? I was thinking 7 might have more usable space on the balcony because the railing isn’t slanted. But I don’t want to feel like I’m in an infinite veranda. Also worried maybe the cabin/ balcony on deck 7 won’t get any sun? Any advice is much appreciated. 

8FFD25F3-40B1-4FF7-85C1-E1C066430E00.thumb.jpeg.5343bea6a08ba4e4645abfe01d588ba3.jpeg

I've not been on this class of ship yet, but I would think those might get less sun. I love the sun so wouldn't pick a deck 7 one. Some people also like to have a better view down and your immediate view down here is to the glass structure. 

2 minutes ago, PKB said:

I would say it depends on your itinerary.  If in the Caribbean or Mediteranean or other tropical locales, where hot direct sun would be a possibility, I would go for deck 7.  

Hi,
It's a caribbean cruise but in it's in January. I've never cruised in Jan so I am not sure of the weather but I'm guessing it's cool. I'm thinking the pros are privacy, protection from soot, and perhaps a little bit more usable space because the balcony railing isn't slanted in (that's the big question though). The cons are you wouldn't see the sun or stars laying down like the other decks. Decisions Decisions >___< 

The Bahamas could be cool, and the ocean water will be cold.  When you get to Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and others further south, it will be tropical year round.  The humidity may be slightly less during the winter months, but it will still be hot.  The water will be warmer and won't feel like an iceberg.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PKB said:

The Bahamas could be cool, and the ocean water will be cold.  When you get to Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and others further south, it will be tropical year round.  The humidity may be slightly less during the winter months, but it will still be hot.  The water will be warmer and won't feel like an iceberg.

It's a western Caribbean (so bahamas, mexico and cayman). If it's cold at night then maybe the taller walls would help block some of the wind... Lol I think I am just going to just "chance it" and go for the one on deck 7 (assuming it's even still available). I'm sure they are all good. But at least this way maybe I can report back for others having the same questions. 

I'm not a fan of SV's. Just had one and confirmed my opinions. But on Beyond I would choose deck 7 over the others. The only time you're going to get slightly less sun is midday when the sun is directly overhead. Otherwise during morning and evening, depending on direction of the ship, the sun is still going to cut right under it. Just like it would on a normal balcony on the side of the side. January can still be quite warm but I've never really felt any wind at all in an aft cabin. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I'm not a fan of SV's. Just had one and confirmed my opinions. But on Beyond I would choose deck 7 over the others. The only time you're going to get slightly less sun is midday when the sun is directly overhead. Otherwise during morning and evening, depending on direction of the ship, the sun is still going to cut right under it. Just like it would on a normal balcony on the side of the side. January can still be quite warm but I've never really felt any wind at all in an aft cabin. 

Thank you for your insight! This is actually my first SV. I have been in a forward facing balcony on a different line in the past and of course it was quite windy (but I really enjoyed it). I think I would prefer a traditional balcony and don’t think I would like the infinite verandas (and the suites are quite expensive), so I’m giving the SV a try. 🙂

• Like 3

I have been in a SV, on deck 7, but on the Edge. Since they are sister ships, I would guess the deck layout is the same. I would say that approx. half of the balcony is covered and half is open. Unless you stand at the rail, no one can see you. I had minimal issues with soot, but I did have my steward leave a beach towel so I could cover the chairs when seated.  I was in one of the two center cabins and the balcony was huge! 

Edited by Straughn

7 minutes ago, Straughn said:

I have been in a SV, on deck 7, but on the Edge. Since they are sister ships, I would guess the deck layout is the same. I would say that approx. half of the balcony is covered and half is open. Unless you stand at the rail, no one can see you. I had minimal issues with soot, but I did have my steward leave a beach towel so I could cover the chairs when seated.  I was in one of the two center cabins and the balcony was huge! 

Deck 7 on Beyond is quite a bit different compared to Edge or Apex. There is no angle or slant to the railing. It's far more similar to a regular side facing balcony. 

image.thumb.png.6c294cb9d1206748e3ac78e7c0141b1b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Did you notice any noise from Eden?

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Ok lol so now I’m curious… What didn’t you like about the SV’s?

We had a middle SV on EDGE deck 7...great cabin, very large balcony.

We heard  some music from EDEN a few times in the bthrm hallway at night but .nothing disruptive.  There was also some stray music from someplace else during the day....speaker or pool area???

We had no soot and our only annoyance was the cabin next door .They..crammed in lots of folks on their balc nightly from dinner to bedtime..party cruisers...but that can happen anywhere.  Inside the cabin was just  fine....

Not sure abt deck 11 SV ...but 7 was good

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hcat said:

PS balc had nice loungers, was often sunny..small over hang.

Great aft  view.....sunrise,  sunset and  night sky.,

Yes I’ve heard great things about deck 7 on apex and edge which is partly why I was excited when a room opened up on deck 7 for the beyond. But then I saw that beyond is different from the sister ships in that deck 7 is more enclosed, balcony railing not slanted etc. So I’m not quite sure what to expect. But I would think any sunset veranda is probably pretty great. Plus deck 7 is a bit closer to the wake which I imagine to be quite nice. I’m also glad to hear that many people didn’t experience too much noise from Eden. Then again I’ll probably be up late anyway. I’m a night owl when I don’t have my kids. 🙂 

Very interesting, my wife and I will be sailing on the Edge Oct 14, 10 nighter out of Rome, booked in room # 7315, my sister and husband are in # 7310.  We have never sailed in an aft cabin before and I was not really interested in an iv cabin.

We usually book balcony cabins as high up as possible, under the pool deck or buffet area, and near the elevators.   We have never had a problem with noise.

11 hours ago, woneill63 said:

Very interesting, my wife and I will be sailing on the Edge Oct 14, 10 nighter out of Rome, booked in room # 7315, my sister and husband are in # 7310.  We have never sailed in an aft cabin before and I was not really interested in an iv cabin.

We usually book balcony cabins as high up as possible, under the pool deck or buffet area, and near the elevators.   We have never had a problem with noise.

Our first choice in cabins is normally on the AFT.
The only “noise” you will have is the soothing sound of the wake when the ship is underway. 😊

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Seadog84 said:

Ok lol so now I’m curious… What didn’t you like about the SV’s?

We're in and out of the cabin a lot so the long walk can be inconvenient. It can also be incredibly hot in the direct sun. There is also the occasional soot issue. Earlier this month on RF the balcony was always wet until late morning. The deck 7 setup on Beyond would probably solve most of these issues, but I'm definitely not in the group of people that obsesses over these cabins. I would take a midship IV over an SV. 

15 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

We're in and out of the cabin a lot so the long walk can be inconvenient. It can also be incredibly hot in the direct sun. There is also the occasional soot issue. Earlier this month on RF the balcony was always wet until late morning. The deck 7 setup on Beyond would probably solve most of these issues, but I'm definitely not in the group of people that obsesses over these cabins. I would take a midship IV over an SV. 

Yes this makes sense. I ended up going with deck 7 for some of these reasons as well. I don’t mind walking too much so should be ok in that regard. I’m thinking this will be a good fit for me. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Seadog84 said:

Yes this makes sense. I ended up going with deck 7 for some of these reasons as well. I don’t mind walking too much so should be ok in that regard. I’m thinking this will be a good fit for me. 🙂

Enjoy the cruise, if your going in the middle of January, my sister an I will be on deck 9 SV cabin on the same cruise...

• Thanks 1

I personally would keep the SV on deck 11 (my opinion only).  I've had cabins on this deck on Edge in the Med and LOVED it.  Deck 7 is above the Eden lounge.  You could hear music or noise from here in the evening (can't be sure about that as I don't stay that low).

But I'd definitely keep an SV over an IV.  I don't care for the IVs at all.  It's not a veranda ... it's more like a bus window (although larger) that opens.  It's noisy and the short area where two chairs sit do not give you the veranda feel and you can't close the French doors into the cabin unless you turn the furniture sideways.  I'd guess it's the same on Beyond.

Also, I don't mind the walk to the rear of the ship.  Keeps me in shape  🙂

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 5

We were in SV 8336 on the Beyond for the president's cruise last week. We loved the room and the view, but there was significant noise from the mooring lines early in the morning when you docked and again in the afternoon when you undocked. There was also quite a bit of soot on the balcony when the plume from the stacks were blowing straight backwards. 

To us these were minor issues compared to the pluses we experienced. Would definitely reserve on again.

• Like 1