Ian - Atlantic - Sep 24

PelicanBill

We are also coming for this cruise! We have a place booked in the cocoa beach area currently, but we’re thinking of getting a hotel instead to have better shelter. Any suggestions? I also want to make sure our vehicle is safe from flood waters 

• Like 1

I have no idea what the right side of the storm will be like.  The port is now in the cone.  Part of the  causeway  is about three feet above the water.  The island is a very low Elevation. Just so you know.

I use to live down the road (about 28 miles down A1A) from there.

Just now, Hnwalk1 said:

We are also coming for this cruise! We have a place booked in the cocoa beach area currently, but we’re thinking of getting a hotel instead to have better shelter. Any suggestions? I also want to make sure our vehicle is safe from flood waters 

I would go on the main land.

47 minutes ago, Hnwalk1 said:

When you park you car for the cruise don't park on ground level.  This storm will have passed, but if there is another one, you don't want your car to be flooded.

• Like 1

We are schedule to cruise out of Charleston on Oct. 1.  I'm thinking that the cruise will likely be able to leave, but I am concerned about my flight from Cincinnati to Charleston scheduled for Thursday 12:23 to 2:33 pm.  Any thoughts - I'm. not familiar with Charleston airport and what happens when there are storms.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

When you park you car for the cruise don't park on ground level.  This storm will have passed, but if there is another one, you don't want your car to be flooded.

Thanks! I’m assuming the have a parking garage type of set up at the port? This will be our first time using this port (of course)!

6 minutes ago, Hnwalk1 said:

Thanks! I’m assuming the have a parking garage type of set up at the port? This will be our first time using this port (of course)!

I have been out of the port a few time.  I do remember one of the piers has a multi level parking.  i forgot what the other has.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Cruise-Parking,-Directions-Rates

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Port-Cruise-Facts

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I have been out of the port a few time.  I do remember one of the piers has a multi level parking.  i forgot what the other has.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Cruise-Parking,-Directions-Rates

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Port-Cruise-Facts

Thank you for this information! Super helpful for sure 🙂 

• Like 1

If you're driving down or flying in may want to consider staying south around Palm Bay (just below Melbourne) for a night or two.  Lots places right off I-95 and inland.

But possibly by Friday or Saturday, you'll be ok.  At resent there's not another storm anywhere close by.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 1

As of this morning the Port of Tampa is closed under Condition Zulu (https://www.porttb.com).

On the Atlantic coast a tropical storm warning was issued from Jupiter Inlet (northern Palm Beach County) to the Volusia/Brevard County line including Lake Okeechobee, and a tropical storm watch (northern Broward County) was issued for Deerfield Beach north to Jupiter Inlet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Port Canaveral Current Port Conditions: X-RAY.  Expect to progress to Port Condition YANKEE by tomorrow (Tuesday, Sept. 27th) evening.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/Severe-Weather-Awareness

If and when Port Condition Yankee is set, meaning sustained Tropical Storm Force winds are expected within 24 hours, vessel movement shall be restricted, and all movement must be approved by the caption of the port.

The Coast Guard is warning the public of these important safety messages:

Stay off the water.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Thanks 1

Well Looks like IAN will close Port Canaveral, just hoping maybe only a one day delay. Since the Getaway is heading from New York with no passengers, I wonder if they will send the Getaway to Miami instead of Port Canaveral? Just wish NCL would let me know before I start driving down tomorrow morning lol

• Like 2

Well. Possible Cat 4 landfall right up Tampa Bay. Slight differences in track will make huge differences. Stay safe.

my thoughts on east coast cruises: Miami does not even have any watches. Port Canaveral could see delays and Orlando airport is likely to shut down for some

time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Well. Possible Cat 4 landfall right up Tampa Bay. Slight differences in track will make huge differences. Stay safe.

my thoughts on east coast cruises: Miami does not even have any watches. Port Canaveral could see delays and Orlando airport is likely to shut down for some

time.

So Would you think that the Getaway who is scheduled to arrive in Port Canaveral on Thursday may divert and complete embarkation in Miami instead?

1 minute ago, PelicanBill said:

Diversion is rare. More likely is a day delay returning.

Thanks another thread showed that the Getaway is now scheduled to arrive on Thursday at 04:30am instead of 10:00am in Port Canaveral. My guess is they are trying to beat the storm and hoping that they can get into port before it closes or once it is safe

42 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Thanks another thread showed that the Getaway is now scheduled to arrive on Thursday at 04:30am instead of 10:00am in Port Canaveral. My guess is they are trying to beat the storm and hoping that they can get into port before it closes or once it is safe

Aha. Getting the prior passengers back and  home as it is arriving, yuck. Roads clogged, gas shortages, risk of airport closing. 

15 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Aha. Getting the prior passengers back and  home as it is arriving, yuck. Roads clogged, gas shortages, risk of airport closing. 

Getaway is coming into port Canaveral empty no passengers 

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

They do now.  TS watch was added with the 11 AM update.  

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

How quick conditions can change.

Yup. This morning’s model runs show a sharper curve east. This is now a significant event for all of central Florida.

1013473F-80A3-4C6D-B910-E6396E42CF0B.jpeg

• Like 1