Ian - Atlantic - Sep 24

PelicanBill

Flight cancellations today and tomorrow from the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/09/28/hurricane-ian-flight-cancellations/ )

• More than 3,200 flights were canceled today and tomorrow at Florida airports (1800 today and 1400 already announced for tomorrow)

• Most cancellations were at Orlando (closed this morning) and Tampa airports (closed yesterday until further notice). Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports have stayed open today but had more than 600 cancellations by the afternoon.

• Melbourne closed at 2 pm today and will probably be closed tomorrow.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm catching up with the news after work and oh my goodness.... the destruction! So much loss in these early hours of landfall already in Florida. I did not even get to read yet what Ian did to Cuba. Forgive my silly question but when you get an order to evacuate, where do you go? Someone told me, "inland"....well, where exactly? And where do you stay if you do not have a lot of disposable income or have friends to hunker down with?  😥

7 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

Forgive my silly question but when you get an order to evacuate, where do you go? Someone told me, "inland"....well, where exactly? And where do you stay if you do not have a lot of disposable income or have friends to hunker down with?  😥

Some go to friends or family in other parts of Florida or nearby states.  I can only speak to how Broward County (Fort Lauderdale) handles local evacuations.  There are designated evacuation centers in each city and special public transportation routes to give residents free transportation to the nearest evacuation center.  IIRC some are designated pet friendly.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

Flight cancellations today and tomorrow from the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/09/28/hurricane-ian-flight-cancellations/ )

• More than 3,200 flights were canceled today and tomorrow at Florida airports (1800 today and 1400 already announced for tomorrow)

• Most cancellations were at Orlando (closed this morning) and Tampa airports (closed yesterday until further notice). Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports have stayed open today but had more than 600 cancellations by the afternoon.

• Melbourne closed at 2 pm today and will probably be closed tomorrow.

Jacksonville airport has cancelled all Thursday flights.

• Like 1

Looks like weather in Tampa, Orlando (Port Canaveral), FLL (Port Everglades) and Miami will be ok later today and on Friday.  The question will be whether or not the storm damage affects the ports , hotels and roads.  JAX and Charleston will be iffy at best.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

I'm catching up with the news after work and oh my goodness.... the destruction! So much loss in these early hours of landfall already in Florida. I did not even get to read yet what Ian did to Cuba. Forgive my silly question but when you get an order to evacuate, where do you go? Someone told me, "inland"....well, where exactly? And where do you stay if you do not have a lot of disposable income or have friends to hunker down with?  😥

When you live in hurricane prone areas…

you must have a plan for staying, with food water and supplies.

you must have a plan for evacuating. To shelters, by public transit if necessary, or a planned destination, with ability to get a  hotel or friends or relatives to go to. Evacuation routes are all documented and signed.

when you live there, you see public service messages everywhere reminding you of this. 

when you live there, you must understand you act as soon as there is a threat. Days before. Not 12 hours before landfall, waiting to see IF it will really come your way. 

and as for the hundreds on the west coast who live in zone A or B and didn’t leave… You are victims of Darwin’s principles. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A friend e-mailed that he has learned that the bridge to Sanibel Island has partially collapsed.  Gone!  He has a vacation booked on the Island for early November.  I think his plans will need to change.  

I also heard that another bridge did too.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

A friend e-mailed that he has learned that the bridge to Sanibel Island has partially collapsed.  Gone!  He has a vacation booked on the Island for early November.  I think his plans will need to change.  

I heard that as well. But honestly, even if the bridge was still intact I don’t think Sanibel Island would be ready for vacationers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I saw a photo of this broken bridge on the news today. 😢 I'm feeling even more awful that Ian is gaining strength again approaching more southern states. 😔😢

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

when you live there, you must understand you act as soon as there is a threat. Days before. Not 12 hours before landfall, waiting to see IF it will really come your way. 

Thanks lots, @PelicanBill! Really informative! One more question - how do things work out with work about preparing days in advance. Are people paid if they take time off work to evacuate? 

I ask coz I follow the Disney forums as well. One of our options had been to start off at DisneyWorld a few days before our cruise and I was seeing how a bunch of restaurants in all Disney hotels were opened in these 3 days or so. Made me wonder where employees were staying if they had to work through this hurricane...🤔 The theme parks are closed. Visitors are stranded, of course, in the various hotels...

6 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Thanks lots, @PelicanBill! Really informative! One more question - how do things work out with work about preparing days in advance. Are people paid if they take time off work to evacuate? 

I ask coz I follow the Disney forums as well. One of our options had been to start off at DisneyWorld a few days before our cruise and I was seeing how a bunch of restaurants in all Disney hotels were opened in these 3 days or so. Made me wonder where employees were staying if they had to work through this hurricane...🤔 The theme parks are closed. Visitors are stranded, of course, in the various hotels...

I can tell you from the standpoint of a Disney worker.. 

My cousin lives down there and works for Disney. She works in the parks so she knew the parks would close. But, Disney didn’t tell her until the night before if she would be working or not. They allowed all the tourists to stay in the resorts instead of asking them to go home. So they mobilized a lot of the park employees to help with the resorts full of people. She found out the night before the hurricane hit that she didn’t need to work. So even if she wanted to evacuate, she really didn’t have much time. She thankfully has sisters down there who can watch her dog, but it left her in a predicament for sure. And typically Orlando is far enough inland that they didn’t have to worry about storm surge etc, but there is a lot of flooding in Orlando too, and I believe Disney is open today so I imagine she’s supposed to be working. 
I just very much don’t like that for her. I know it’s all about the $$$ for Disney, but these people who work there need to have time to take care of their own houses, families, and whatever else may have been affected by the hurricane. Disney is not a hospital, there’s absolutely no reason (IMO) that Disney couldn’t have closed and asked tourists to go home so their employees could be with their families during this. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

In general private businesses make their own decisions.  This story out of Tampa has gotten lots of well deserved attention:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-ian-florida-boss-nothing-burger-in-urging-staff-to-work/

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, capriccio said:

In general private businesses make their own decisions.  This story out of Tampa has gotten lots of well deserved attention:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-ian-florida-boss-nothing-burger-in-urging-staff-to-work/

Wow, "I want to have a good end of quarter,"....yeesh! I'd like to think a lot of businesses make it possible for employees to do as Pelican Bill mentioned in terms of preparations....though I'm starting to think that it's actually a privilege to be able to evacuate...

8 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Wow, "I want to have a good end of quarter,"....yeesh! I'd like to think a lot of businesses make it possible for employees to do as Pelican Bill mentioned in terms of preparations....though I'm starting to think that it's actually a privilege to be able to evacuate...

I’m not sure what company that is, but that’s downright awful. 
I work at a hospital, so I accept that there’s going to be times that we have to make arrangements, like staying at the hospital in a nasty snow storm (I’m in Illinois) etc. but that is not the case for this company. I’m glad the CEO is getting the pushback and outrage from people. That is absolutely terrible. 

• Like 1