Any difference if your stateroom is in front, middle or back of ship? And which deck?

annbanan

I've had staterooms in different locations and I really never noticed a difference feeling rough seas. Just wonderning is there a difference being in the front, middle or back?

How about which deck your on?

Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Most people say that mid-ship, mid way up.....the center of the ship is the smoothest ride. I don't really feel much difference but others say they do.

We are always on Navigation Deck (or Rotterdam on the Vista ships) and feel some sway on the high deck. I like it (most of the time) as it feels like 'a rocking cradle' when going to sleep. :)

If you don't get seasick then you will be fine anywhere.

I do know that being in the front of the ship, you do tend to feel the motion a lot more than at the back.

The centre of the ship and fairly low down is supposed to be the best for seasickness but if you are going for a verandah then they all start fairly high up on the ships. We always have a cabin in the centre but they are usually on a high deck as we always have a verandah.

I always try to book a cabin that will have the best views if any. We have just returned from South America and our cabin was starboard and for 95% of the time, we had all the views on our side of the ship.

Jennie

Far forward can be a pretty bumpy ride - and HAL ships have a fairly blunt prow, which can contribute to the bounce motion.

On one rough transAtlantic on Maasdam, 11-95, our forward cabin, Main 641, along with some half-dozen others, was flooded to a 6" depth, when the ship took on water through the hawse-pipe (anchor chainway), while fighting heavy seas West of the Azores.

Luckily, they had vacant cabins to which we could be moved. Much smoother midships!

Those cabins lowest and most center will have the best ride. Those higher and fore or aft will have the most discernable ride! We have been in S, Verandah, D, and K cabins and the best ride and most quiet cabin was a K inside on the main deck on S Class ship.

Gary

So far, we have been amidships on our first cruise (Caribbean in May, smooth as glass anyway), a bit more forward on the main deck on Rotterdam in the Med (September, again smooth sailing). We did start to pick up a higher sea state when we left the Med and got into the Atlantic (because of the tropical storms and yes they can impact that distance) but it wasn’t terribly noticeable. I did notice the door on the Head would swing as the ship pitched, and while standing on the Promenade Deck, the pitch was visibly noticeable as you looked aft (sky then sea, sky then sea) but I still didn't have to walk on any bulkheads or get tossed out of my rack :)

I've mostly had mid ship cabins but your right the convenience with the aft cabin going up to the Lido deck is great. Last cruise was my first aft cabin. It is my favorite! Next week I'll be on the Westerdam, Rotterdam deck, towards the front of the ship. We'll see how it goes!

Yes. The difference is the location...

Try a few of each then in different seas youll be able to tell.

We have been in hurricaines with water washing through on the lower decks... I slept well even with material falling off the shelving... my wife asked how I could sleep through that... ZZzzzzzzzzz (without snores) the door in the WC can be adjusted on top...:eek:

This next one on March 25th coming is on the New Noordam (IV) Rotterdam Deck Aft and should be great we have two adjoing .:D looking foward to this one a lot now.

My favorite location is really the one we have.

It's simple physics. Mid ship, inside, low level will yield the smoothest ride.

The bow or stern will give more pitch or yaw motion. An outside, or a high deck will give more roll motion. Ever notice where the sick bay is located?

I've heard that sick bay is on main deck or lower, but no that is one place on the ship I have never had to visit.

Usually the motion lulls me to sleep. It is kind of nice.

When I use to commute in NYC everyday the subway could lull me to sleep even with all the noise and that was when they had the windows open because there wasn't any AC.

Yes Clay, I'll check the loft out for Joey. I love walking all around the ship! I've got to burn off some of that great food I'll always be eating!!!

Archived