Currently on Ventura-Masks Again!

Mad4WDW

35 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

This is not the news I wanted to hear, but am grateful for the update on mask wearing on Ventura.

We are/were hoping to join Ventura on the 8th October, N 227 but this latest news is rather un-nerving.

Whilst fully vaccinated, my husband  is a heart patient, so obviously in the vulnerable catergory  and honestly we just can't take any chances whatsoever.  I am certainly not looking for a refund, but should the situation remain as it is or indeed worsen,  would P&O be likely to issue a FCC given the circumstances.

As far as I am aware there is no longer FCC for any reason I'm afraid.  Suggest you give them a call to see if anything can be done.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

As far as I am aware there is no longer FCC for any reason I'm afraid.  Suggest you give them a call to see if anything can be done.  Sorry.

Hopefully they may decide to re-introduce fcc as there are going to be a large number of unhappy people on their ships!

5 minutes ago, Funboy said:

Hopefully they may decide to re-introduce fcc as there are going to be a large number of unhappy people on their ships!

If not there's going to be alarm bells in the insurance brokers.  I assume numbers must be pretty high on both these ships which is very sad for all involved.  

Thank you so much for your responses. Due to our circumstances I won't be an unhappy passenger because I simply can't be on-board, disappointing as that maybe.  Unfortunately, not only P& O take a while to make decisions, but with only 8 days before we are scheduled to leave, time is not on our side.

Meanwhile, I'll talk to P&O, Hope for the best and keep checking into CC.  Thank you again for assistance so far.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, Megabear2 said:

This is where the FCC insurance situation starts to get interesting.  My friend was quarantined onboard QV and her insurer has refused her claim as she has no positive PCR test, in fact she hasn't tested positive at all after return either.  Her husband is covered and has a claim but she was a close contact.  

Needless to say they aren't very happy, but at least they stayed onboard rather than having to go ashore.  If numbers continue to rise on ships it's going to be like King Canute for the cruise companies and Russian roulette for the passenger on financial matters.  

The change to no FCC for quarantine onboard is interesting - I can foresee many people not testing themselves during the voyage as they won't want to quarantine if they get an adverse result.

And unless P&O drag everyone with a cough or a temperature to the sick bay and hold them down whilst they perform a test, how will P&O know if anyone is sick or not if they don't volunteer the information. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yoj13 said:

Due to our circumstances I won't be an unhappy passenger because I simply can't be on-board, disappointing as that maybe.  Unfortunately, not only P& O take a while to make decisions, but with only 8 days before we are scheduled to leave, time is not on our side.

Meanwhile, I'll talk to P&O, Hope for the best and keep checking into CC.  Thank you again for assistance so far.

24 hours ago we booked to go on Ventura on 8th October down Spain and Portugal for 10 days. I've come on CC for the first time in ages to get some info and stumbled on this thread

I've just got off the phone to P&O and apparently they know nothing of mask-wearing on Ventura or any other ships because of Covid - oh and there are absolutely no refunds or transfers available.

My husband and I are immune suppressed and I'm asthmatic and have had numerous chest infections since Covid at the end of last year. Wearing a mask for a long time is difficult and for this reason alone we would never have booked a cruise at this time had we been informed about the mask-wearing - would they really not know? They said there's a line about "adapting protocol to protect everyone on board" that they would have read to my husband on the the phone that covers them, but I said its a fundamental piece of information a customer should know before booking a 10 day cruise if it is a situation happening on their ships! 

(I wear one at home going into shops etc so agree they're a good thing in principle)

Any advice anyone please

23 minutes ago, s&gsjollies said:

24 hours ago we booked to go on Ventura on 8th October down Spain and Portugal for 10 days. I've come on CC for the first time in ages to get some info and stumbled on this thread

I've just got off the phone to P&O and apparently they know nothing of mask-wearing on Ventura or any other ships because of Covid - oh and there are absolutely no refunds or transfers available.

My husband and I are immune suppressed and I'm asthmatic and have had numerous chest infections since Covid at the end of last year. Wearing a mask for a long time is difficult and for this reason alone we would never have booked a cruise at this time had we been informed about the mask-wearing - would they really not know? They said there's a line about "adapting protocol to protect everyone on board" that they would have read to my husband on the the phone that covers them, but I said its a fundamental piece of information a customer should know before booking a 10 day cruise if it is a situation happening on their ships! 

(I wear one at home going into shops etc so agree they're a good thing in principle)

Any advice anyone please

As you’re asthmatic, with a compromised immune system, there are particular health issues which would affect you more than most people, so in the extraordinarily unlikely event of being on a cruise ship at the moment I’d certainly want to be wearing an FFP3 mask to get some degree of personal protection. Partly because of the potential impact of Covid, and partly because the vaccines may not have provided you with the normal protection that people with fully effective immune systems get.

The mask wearing is to try to stop the spread, but since rates on ships are now reflecting the increasing rate in the UK I doubt mask wearing is going away now until the present wave disappears, and that may not be until next Spring or even later.

30 minutes ago, s&gsjollies said:

Wearing a mask for a long time is difficult and for this reason alone we would never have booked a cruise at this time had we been informed about the mask-wearing

To be fair, even if mask wearing is required, you would not need to wear a mask for a long time.

If you are eating or drinking, no mask is required,  nor will you need to wear one on outside decks.

Obviously the entertainment venues would be a challenge, but apart from that I doubt you would need to wear a mask for more than ten minutes at a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, even if mask wearing is required, you would not need to wear a mask for a long time.

If you are eating or drinking, no mask is required,  nor will you need to wear one on outside decks.

Obviously the entertainment venues would be a challenge, but apart from that I doubt you would need to wear a mask for more than ten minutes at a time.

And that’s assuming a passenger isn’t exempt from wearing a mask from one the multitude of reasons.

5 hours ago, s&gsjollies said:

Any advice anyone please

There is no doubt about it, it is a fundamental piece of information and I honestly do think P&O are aware of the situation on their ships.  Can your husband remember whether that information was given or not but I suppose, it would be your word against theirs at the end of the day.   We have almost decided not to go, it's just not worth it.  Then when I've read that all the excursions on this latest trip have been cancelled,  well, it's just another warning  sign to me anyway.

1 hour ago, yoj13 said:

Then when I've read that all the excursions on this latest trip have been cancelled,  well, it's just another warning  sign to me anyway.

When did this happen?   Presumably just down to bad weather not a a shortage.

Edited by Megabear2

4 hours ago, picsa said:

And that’s assuming a passenger isn’t exempt from wearing a mask from one the multitude of reasons

Back when cruising resumed, and mask wearing was strictly enforced, P&O made it clear that medical exemptions with regards to mask wearing were not permitted.  If you could not wear a mask,  you could not cruise. 

If medical exemptions were not allowed then, why should they be allowed now ? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Back when cruising resumed, and mask wearing was strictly enforced, P&O made it clear that medical exemptions with regards to mask wearing were not permitted.  If you could not wear a mask,  you could not cruise. 

If medical exemptions were not allowed then, why should they be allowed now ? 

That isn’t my recollection from when I took one of the first international cruises last September and when masks were required, as exemptions were permitted.

in addition now you have the issue if you introduce the requirement mid-cruise of passengers who can’t wear masks who are already aboard - what do you do with them? Lock them in their cabins?

Then there is the issue of introducing it before the cruise started then that would be a significant change to the T&Cs for someone to be required to wear a mask for someone who it is impossible to do as they would have to forfeit their cruise unless P&O allowed the exemption.

Edited by picsa

On 9/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, Megabear2 said:

This is where the FCC insurance situation starts to get interesting.  My friend was quarantined onboard QV and her insurer has refused her claim as she has no positive PCR test, in fact she hasn't tested positive at all after return either.  Her husband is covered and has a claim but she was a close contact.  

Needless to say they aren't very happy, but at least they stayed onboard rather than having to go ashore.  If numbers continue to rise on ships it's going to be like King Canute for the cruise companies and Russian roulette for the passenger on financial matters.  

We were isolated on an Aurora cruise a couple of months ago. I tested positive and was told I must go to an isolation cabin immediately.  My husband tested negative and was given a choice.  He was told he could either accompany me or stay in our original cabin in which case he was free to wander around the ship, go ashore (though not on any excursions), not use the buffet and here, our recollections vary: he thought he could use the dining room but I was fairly sure he was required have to have room service for his meals. 

Anyway he elected to come with me.  The next day he didn't feel well so the ship's medics came to test him and he too was +'ve. 

At that time they were still doing FCC but when calculating that they counted 6 days for me but only 5 for my husband i.e. didn't count the first day he was with me but testing negative.

I wonder if this is muddying the waters inasmuch as in our case and possibily some of the examples we've seen reported, the negative person had a choice - go into isolation with their partner or potentially continue with their holiday.  I can see how they would then not include the second (negative) passenger in the FCC as they weren't required to isolate (although whatever choice was made the nature of the holiday for a couple is ruined).

Our insurers adopted the same approach for the pay-out for cabin confinement - 6 days for me and 5 for my husband although, like me, he was in isolation for 6 days - but day 1 was his choice and not enforced.  (We had taken out cruise extension cover with our travel insurers.)

We were lucky in this respect but I wonder how long insurers who do offer this as part of the Covid cover will continue to do so. It's certainly not low risk for them with the number of cases rising.  I think the safest bet at the moment for cruise lines are 7 day cruises so they can off-road passengers before they run into too many problems with passengers needing isolating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

We were isolated on an Aurora cruise a couple of months ago. I tested positive and was told I must go to an isolation cabin immediately.  My husband tested negative and was given a choice.  He was told he could either accompany me or stay in our original cabin in which case he was free to wander around the ship, go ashore (though not on any excursions), not use the buffet and here, our recollections vary: he thought he could use the dining room but I was fairly sure he was required have to have room service for his meals. 

Anyway he elected to come with me.  The next day he didn't feel well so the ship's medics came to test him and he too was +'ve. 

At that time they were still doing FCC but when calculating that they counted 6 days for me but only 5 for my husband i.e. didn't count the first day he was with me but testing negative.

I wonder if this is muddying the waters inasmuch as in our case and possibily some of the examples we've seen reported, the negative person had a choice - go into isolation with their partner or potentially continue with their holiday.  I can see how they would then not include the second (negative) passenger in the FCC as they weren't required to isolate (although whatever choice was made the nature of the holiday for a couple is ruined).

Our insurers adopted the same approach for the pay-out for cabin confinement - 6 days for me and 5 for my husband although, like me, he was in isolation for 6 days - but day 1 was his choice and not enforced.  (We had taken out cruise extension cover with our travel insurers.)

We were lucky in this respect but I wonder how long insurers who do offer this as part of the Covid cover will continue to do so. It's certainly not low risk for them with the number of cases rising.  I think the safest bet at the moment for cruise lines are 7 day cruises so they can off-road passengers before they run into too many problems with passengers needing isolating.

Your insurer treated you well, particularly if you also received FCC, as most policies seem to say if you receive remuneration of any kind from your tour ope4ator, airline, hotel etc you are not paid out from them.

Reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong, you received both a confinement payout and FCC?  

Was there a daily set amount in your policy and a maximum claimable?

Some insurers appear to have not been paid out under the confinement section stating it specifically does not cover covid confinement.

Your insurer treated you well, particularly if you also received FCC, as most policies seem to say if you receive remuneration of any kind from your tour ope4ator, airline, hotel etc you are not paid out from them.

Reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong, you received both a confinement payout and FCC?  

Was there a daily set amount in your policy and a maximum claimable?

Some insurers appear to have not been paid out under the confinement section stating it specifically does not cover covid confinement.

Yes received FCC and insurance pay-out.  We were very surprised and as we hadn't cruised since before the pandemic, hadn't realised that FCC were paid out at that time.

Yes there was a daily set amount in the policy (additional cruise cover) and a maximum payment quoted.  From your experience it seems we were very lucky. 

I must check the policy to see if changes have since been made but this was only in August so fairly recent though of course the FCC situation has now changed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes received FCC and insurance pay-out.  We were very surprised and as we hadn't cruised since before the pandemic, hadn't realised that FCC were paid out at that time.

Yes there was a daily set amount in the policy (additional cruise cover) and a maximum payment quoted.  From your experience it seems we were very lucky. 

I must check the policy to see if changes have since been made but this was only in August so fairly recent though of course the FCC situation has now changed.

Can I ask what proof you gave the insurance company to show that you and your husband had Covid.

4 minutes ago, picsa said:

Do you consider those people to have no rights and should spend a week or more locked in their cabin because they cannot wear a mask, or do you believe they should put their health at risk by wearing one against medical advice.

I appreciate that there are despicable people who abuse the exemption rules, but that is no excuse for trampling over the rights of people with serious health issues.

I bet if the option on board was wear a mask or be isolated the "I can't wear a mask" brigade would be queuing up for their masks. I do however agree that if some one is exempt and can prove it they wouldn't need to wear one.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Can I ask what proof you gave the insurance company to show that you and your husband had Covid.

We had a letter from the ship detailing our date of testing positive (as determined by the ship's medics) and time in quarantine.  It specifically stated that we may need it for insurance purposes.

1 minute ago, Neecy1 said:

Can I just ask if you caught covid in the days before a cruise what proof would you give your insurance company then? Presume they wouldn't just take your word for it

Sorry can't answer that one.  We were on a 12 day cruise and developed symptoms on day 6 and 7 so certainly picked it up on board.

2 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

Can I just ask if you caught covid in the days before a cruise what proof would you give your insurance company then? Presume they wouldn't just take your word for it

As I said previously,  Staysure want a copy of the positive test, which must have been carried out by a registered medical practitioner.