Athleta Brooklyn Pants, Review and Photo

LindaD22

I know the Athleta Brooklyn pants are often recommended as a good travel pant and gets great reviews. I wore mine today for the first time and thought I’d offer my thoughts. I paired them with a Land’s End printed shirt, a RipSkirt tank top and Birkenstock sandals. The pants have a permanent crease, which gives them a neat and tailored look. The material is soft and on the thin side, which will make them a snap to hand wash and air dry. There is a half elastic waistband with a faux front zipper. The pants are just so comfortable while looking nice enough to be dressy or casual, depending on what you’re wearing. I bought these for a Mediterranean cruise and Italy trip next May as part of a capsule wardrobe and I’m glad I did. I do think they’re an ideal travel pant. 

39A66674-57A9-4A46-930F-A88D0BF0F5D7.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

I know the Athleta Brooklyn pants are often recommended as a good travel pant and gets great reviews. I wore mine today for the first time and thought I’d offer my thoughts. I paired them with a Land’s End printed shirt, a RipSkirt tank top and Birkenstock sandals. The pants have a permanent crease, which gives them a neat and tailored look. The material is soft and on the thin side, which will make them a snap to hand wash and air dry. There is a half elastic waistband with a faux front zipper. The pants are just so comfortable while looking nice enough to be dressy or casual, depending on what you’re wearing. I bought these for a Mediterranean cruise and Italy trip next May as part of a capsule wardrobe and I’m glad I did. I do think they’re an ideal travel pant. 

39A66674-57A9-4A46-930F-A88D0BF0F5D7.jpeg

Thanks for the review and the photo -- very helpful. Do they run true to size?  As I am often between two sizes it would be helpful to know if I should order the larger or the smaller size.

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for the review and the photo -- very helpful. Do they run true to size?  As I am often between two sizes it would be helpful to know if I should order the larger or the smaller size.

They run just a tad small. I’m usually a size 6 and ordered that. They fit fine and look good but I wouldn’t want to wear them to Thanksgiving dinner! I might order up or even order both sizes and return one. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

They run just a tad small. I’m usually a size 6 and ordered that. They fit fine and look good but I wouldn’t want to wear them to Thanksgiving dinner! I might order up or even order both sizes and return one. 

Thank you -- good to know!

• Like 1

I found a pair (Athleta Brooklyn) at Savers in my size  so bought them. I figured I could try them out that way. ($10.99 and 30% off for senior day) I LOVE them! While I will probably watch for sales, I would definitely like another pair or two for travel!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PandaBear62 said:

I found a pair (Athleta Brooklyn) at Savers in my size  so bought them. I figured I could try them out that way. ($10.99 and 30% off for senior day) I LOVE them! While I will probably watch for sales, I would definitely like another pair or two for travel!

Wow, you got a fantastic deal! I would definitely get another pair too if i could find such a bargain - I’m impressed!

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up on the Athleta Brooklyn pants, since we just finished our 7-nt New England & Canada. I brought along these pants and they ended up being the thing I wore the most! They are very comfortable, stay crisp without wrinkles, easily wipe clean, and can be dressy or casual. As a matter of fact, today I ordered a pair of lined Brooklyn pants in a brown color! They will also be included in my capsule wardrobe for next May’s B2B Italy & Greece cruise. I really recommend these pants!

I'm also just back from 19 days in Europe (BTB cruises + some land days) and took a pair of the Brooklyns with me. I ended up wearing them quite a bit because it was warmer than I'd anticipated and with the Brooklyns I could wear a full-length (well, ankle-length on me) pant and not be too hot. (All the locals were wearing their puffer jackets, boots and scarves already, I don't know how they don't keel over.....)

Like the poster above said, they wear well, are comfortable and don't wrinkle. On the plus side I sent them to be laundered twice and they suffered no damage (a lot of my clothes I'd hesitate to send to the ship laundry due to concerns about shrinking, fading, wear, etc.)  On the (slight) minus side, they do stretch out just a bit on wearing, unlike the similar Talbots material. I found I could wear them twice, but by the third time they started to look a big baggy around the knees.

I definitely will look at other colors.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm also just back from 19 days in Europe (BTB cruises + some land days) and took a pair of the Brooklyns with me. I ended up wearing them quite a bit because it was warmer than I'd anticipated and with the Brooklyns I could wear a full-length (well, ankle-length on me) pant and not be too hot. (All the locals were wearing their puffer jackets, boots and scarves already, I don't know how they don't keel over.....)

Like the poster above said, they wear well, are comfortable and don't wrinkle. On the plus side I sent them to be laundered twice and they suffered no damage (a lot of my clothes I'd hesitate to send to the ship laundry due to concerns about shrinking, fading, wear, etc.)  On the (slight) minus side, they do stretch out just a bit on wearing, unlike the similar Talbots material. I found I could wear them twice, but by the third time they started to look a big baggy around the knees.

I definitely will look at other colors.

Thank you for posting your review! We’re doing 3 weeks in Italy and B2B cruises next May, so I’m glad to hear how well these worked out. I haven’t gotten the new brown Brooklyn pants yet, I’ll post a photo when I do so you can see that color. 

Has anyone tried these from LL Bean, available in a rainbow of colors, in 2 fits and for both men and women.   I usually like the high quality of LL Bean but I wonder if these are truly light weight and casually stylish. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120957?csp=a&qei=276258493&qs=3154393&cid=&epi=0&utm_source=LLBean&utm_medium=triggered_email_cordial&utm_campaign=product_abandon_1&pcd=

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Has anyone tried these from LL Bean, available in a rainbow of colors, in 2 fits and for both men and women.   I usually like the high quality of LL Bean but I wonder if these are truly light weight and casually stylish. 

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120957?csp=a&qei=276258493&qs=3154393&cid=&epi=0&utm_source=LLBean&utm_medium=triggered_email_cordial&utm_campaign=product_abandon_1&pcd=

They're a ripstop fabric so they have that gridded look, a bit more casual than the material used for the Brooklyns IMO.

Also several of the reviews mention that they need ironing to look neat after washing. To me that means not great for travel...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ordered the Brooklyn lined pants in rustic beige. I did not love them! Since these would be used next May for a Mediterranean cruise, I felt the lining would make them too warm. I thought it would be a silky lining, but it’s actually a brushed cotton that’s better suited to colder weather. I like the color a lot. The fit was a bit snug, especially in the tummy area. These are going back! 

BEFD5E9F-9013-4CA1-8955-FF82B4D325B0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, LindaD22 said:

I ordered the Brooklyn lined pants in rustic beige. I did not love them! Since these would be used next May for a Mediterranean cruise, I felt the lining would make them too warm. I thought it would be a silky lining, but it’s actually a brushed cotton that’s better suited to colder weather. I like the color a lot. The fit was a bit snug, especially in the tummy area. These are going back! 

BEFD5E9F-9013-4CA1-8955-FF82B4D325B0.jpeg

Bummer.  I've had some Lined Athleta pants and they do indeed get warm.  If you want brown, the Brooklyns are on sale now.

Edited by slidergirl

I saw a couple of colors in the Brooklyn ankle pants on sale that looked promising for variety, so thought I'd give them a try. In general I like the fit of the ankle pants better than the full length ones, I've discovered. They seem a bit more roomy -- if between sizes I would size down.

The two colors I purchased are Mahogany, a warm medium brown; and Vineyard Green, a cool blue-green color that will play well with navy tops, navy being my current favorite travel neutral.

Being that they were on sale and I had a coupon, I got both for about the price of one full-price pair. I'm a happy camper.

@slidergirl  I think you said you looked at the cargo pants -- online there are comments that the Vienna cargoes are close to or the same material as the Brookyns. Is that the case?  If so I might try a pair of those as well...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I saw a couple of colors in the Brooklyn ankle pants on sale that looked promising for variety, so thought I'd give them a try. In general I like the fit of the ankle pants better than the full length ones, I've discovered. They seem a bit more roomy -- if between sizes I would size down.

The two colors I purchased are Mahogany, a warm medium brown; and Vineyard Green, a cool blue-green color that will play well with navy tops, navy being my current favorite travel neutral.

Being that they were on sale and I had a coupon, I got both for about the price of one full-price pair. I'm a happy camper.

@slidergirl  I think you said you looked at the cargo pants -- online there are comments that the Vienna cargoes are close to or the same material as the Brookyns. Is that the case?  If so I might try a pair of those as well...

I bought the Delancy cargo pants - they will work well for workwear.  I didn't look at the Vienna cargo pants.  Remember - I was the one who isn't thrilled with the Brooklyn fabric.  The Delancy is like comfy thicker yoga pant material.  i have 3 pair of the Delancy herringbone tights from a good 4 years ago and i still wear them - nice to wear to work or out at night with boots.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I bought the Delancy cargo pants - they will work well for workwear.  I didn't look at the Vienna cargo pants.  Remember - I was the one who isn't thrilled with the Brooklyn fabric.  The Delancy is like comfy thicker yoga pant material.  i have 3 pair of the Delancy herringbone tights from a good 4 years ago and i still wear them - nice to wear to work or out at night with boots.  

Oops sorry, I just remembered "cargo".